Thread: Earthquake got me thinking

Basic Member

Earthquake got me thinking

How little we are and how small our problems are.

NO! Not that at all.

Our neighbors to the west had an earthquake the other day that we felt here. It was a relatively small quake like a 2.0. We have small shakes all the time most are never felt.
    It brought to mind a time my boy and I where calling coyotes way east-central Montana. Sitting in a sagebrush flat MILES from what could be called a county road capable of normal traffic. In the middle of the call on a dead spot ( caller muted ) we both could hear a "Whooshing" sound in the west and it moved by us. No trees in Montana and there was no wind going on. We felt what was like a semi going by on a road. After when we were talking about it we did both notice birds flying out of the brush in front of the whoosh.
    We discounted all the possibility and the fact we were a 1/4 mile apart we ascertain it was an earthquake. Thinking about it more over time I think I remember others when I was out hunting. The only time I felt them was when My butt was in contact with the ground or in timber and hear and saw the trees moving.
    We had a fair-sized on a wail back early morning at home.
    It freaked the cats out which woke us up and we felt the bed move and dishes raddled. The window was open and the very distinctive"Whoosh" sound was herd by my wife and myself.
    Anyone else felt them out hunting and what was going on with the wildlife at the time?

Basic Member
    Wondering if you noticed the ground moving like waves in the ocean. I can tell you that's really peculier to witness. Back in '89 when the big one hit the SF Bay Area many folks were driving home from work, and were pulling off to the shoulder of the highway thinking they'd blown a tire. I could not remain standing in my shop due to the shaking and leaned up against my car which was also violently rocking back and forth. Several friends who were at the airport saw the seismic waves roll down the runway, just like ocean waves. Terra non-firma.

Then there's the rumble. You hear that before you feel the shaking because sound moves faster. Never heard the whoosh you describe, but then I was never in an open and very quiet area. Apparently that too is very noticeable as well as memorable.

My brother was deep sea diving off Indonesia when the seafloor ruptured and caused a catastrophic tsunami. The rupture was not audible to him, maybe too low a frequency to hear but all the burrowing creatures in the sea came out of their holes. Lobster and crab all over the place, and the water when from 200 ft visibility to turbid in about a second. Rest of his vacation was spent rescuing survivors, recovering bodies from the ocean and trying to find a place that still had an operational port.

Most of the many earthquakes I live through in CA were just an extra good E ticket ride, nothing too damaging, just exciting...until 1989. There's more to come, but I don't live there anymore. The risk of losing everything and not being covered by insurance is too great. Yea, you can buy earthquake insurance, but when there's millions of claims totaling trillions of dollars, you won't get paid anytime soon, and you may not get paid at all. Just ask the hurricane survivors on the Texas coast.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Anyone know "Capt Grumpy" ?? He's generally on the 6.5 Creedmoor
    site and a few others. This past year, him and his wife pulled up
    stakes in California (issues with liberals) and bought a nice spread
    in Idaho. Well I hope him and family is well. That place he bought
    is about near where that quake hit in Idaho.....It don't matter where
    your feet are planted. "Sh_t Happens" !!
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Basic Member
    Wondering if you noticed the ground moving like waves in the ocean.
    A 2.0 at 800 miles away does not make the ground move like an ocean.
    I hope there ok.

I was on base in 29 Palms California (MCAGCC) when the Big Bear quake hit. It cracked the walls in our base housing and the streets were rolling like waves. Huge pieces of highway off base and paved roads on base dropped about 8 to 10 feet. It was crazy to drive during the aftershocks. It felt like you were operating a boat crossing the wakes.

Team Savage
    Whenever we have an earthquake, I just tell the wife, "I just made the earth move for you". Works every time.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Thought maybe we were having a quake here in Ohio tonight, but nope - it was just the heavy rolling thunder shaking the house. First time I ever heard my glass cabinet doors rattle from thunder. lol
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Thought maybe we were having a quake here in Ohio tonight, but nope - it was just the heavy rolling thunder shaking the house. First time I ever heard my glass cabinet doors rattle from thunder. lol
    It came thru Erie hard and fast. Longest rolling thunder I've heard on the
    Lake in years. A couple of near misses did shake the house pretty good.
    I'm thinkin' this year on the shore is going to be fun !!
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952