Thread: Hey all, Just had some questions about condition and proof marks on a Savage 99 75th anniversary?

Basic Member

Question Hey all, Just had some questions about condition and proof marks on a Savage 99 75th anniversary?

I got a used Savage 99 in 308 and have put about 17 rounds through it over 2 days just checking it out. The last handful of rounds "Seemed" to be cratering and flatting the primers more then the first set. And when I look at where the barrel meets the receiver there is a small gap. Can ya all give me any info on this please? Also the foregrip screw is tilted, is that normal also?

And as far as proof marks, I have a SP ( which I figured out ) but also a "3X", "6X" on the barrel, a hourglass on the receiver, and a cloverleaf on the bottom under the foregrip. I have no idea about any of these except that the Cloverleaf I read was stopped in the 60's?

Anyways, here are some pics of what I am talking about.

Pics are to large to inline, sorry about links.

gap in receiver/barrel https://i.ibb.co/0hG1htV/Inkedgap-LI.jpg
    flattened and cratered primers, fired in clockwise order starting on bottom right. https://i.ibb.co/Wv1yJGy/P4010398.jpg
    3x and hourglass marks https://i.ibb.co/J7LC1HZ/P4010391.jpg
    crooked forarm screw https://i.ibb.co/XzPzRJJ/screw-sposed-to-be-crooked.jpg

Thanks all for any info! This is my first Savage of any kind and I am stressing cause of some of these issues.

Basic Member
    I see nothing that would worry me . . . .
    That “gap” is inconsequential, in my opinion.
    Those primers look OK also . . . .observe the OUTER edge of the primer is still rounded (normal pressure) . . . . although the bolt face MIGHT have a slightly oversized fire-pin hole, giving you the primer cratering.
    I say, “Not to worry.”

Basic Member
    All looks good but that screw, is crooked!! Looks like it may have been cross treaded. You may have to replace the fore arm hanger, looks like it's just dovetailed in. You may be able to run a proper size tap in it and fix the threads, if you have the correct tap!!

Basic Member
    That barrel stud does look cross threaded. Does the hole in the forend line up with the threaded hole? If so, you might be able to chase it back in line. Barrel studs are a scarce part, unless you want to pay through the nose for a repro.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the info all!

I will take it back to the range and try different ammo and see how it acts.

The crooked screw for the forearm screws in all the way perfectly at that angle, no catching or anything. and everything does fit with just the tiniest bits of looseness to the forearm. That said the looseness seems like it might be solved ( or even overly tight ) if that screw went in straight.

Also any ideas on the proof marks?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Model24 View Post
    That barrel stud does look cross threaded. Does the hole in the forend line up with the threaded hole? If so, you might be able to chase it back in line. Barrel studs are a scarce part, unless you want to pay through the nose for a repro.
    So I was googling and this is what I got to buy if I can not straighten out that nut right? A schematic showed 99-11 as the part number, Is this the same for ALL savages or are they a little different depending on year?

https://jack-first-gun-parts.myshopi...tail-579-99-11

Basic Member
    Yup, that’s the ungodly expensive repro. Same part for all 99s, but likely to require some hand fitting. I think you’re right to be concerned that the forend will be overly tight if the screw is straightened. May have to hand fit the forend to match.

Sorry, one of the experts will have to chime in on the proof marks.

Basic Member
    Didn't even think about the hand fitting part, I forgot with the older guns that was quite common. Thanks for that heads up!

Basic Member
    So I think the "cloverleaf" is actually a "Club"(like a deck of cards) Now that I am inside the gun I am seeing "Spade" marks as well on some of the internals. Edit: just found a diamond and a 17x mark.

Can any one clear this up at all? Will I find a heart as well? does this have any significance?

Basic Member
    Will these Savage books people mention in other threads shed any light on these markings?