Thread: Savage in 308?

Savage in 308?

Looking to pick up a Savage in 308, have been looking at the Tactical and just wondered if that would be a good choice or what else might be recommended? Mostly just target shooting but want something nice trying to stay under 800,00 or so? Thanks

Basic Member
    Ask me in a couple of weeks. I couldn't decide either but just scored a 23200 Ridge Warrior.

Basic Member
    It depends :)

I'd price a 12FV with your stock of choice and then see if the Tactical is less money. Another consideration is the 12FV comes with the Varmint accutrigger. Don't know which one the Tactical has.

Basic Member
    Big thing to consider would be is wether or not you intend doing much walking around while carrying the gun, as in hunting.
    If not, then weight wont be much of a factor.
    That said, weve been known to carry 20# guns long distances (unloaded) to reach a hunting location.
    Dont know if they are still made, but as for accuracy, and features related to accuracy id recommend a model 10fcp.
    It is not a light gun, which makes it more comfortable to shoot, especially in the 308.
    It comes with a muzzel brake, accu trigger, accustock, and detachable magazine.
    It is also the most accurate factory rifle right out of the box with no adjustments i have ever seen, and required zero load workup.
    As i recall, it was produced in only two calibers, 308 and 338 lapua.
    If you want a gun that can make you into a shooter, especially at the longer distances, this is the one.

I have one(10fp), and have carried across almost every mountain range in Idaho, and 3 other Western States. Had one in 243, and 223.

It's a Savage: it has a crap-tacU-larly flimsy stock, and a somewhat creepy trigger. Not sure what you are looking for?
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    It depends :)

I'd price a 12FV with your stock of choice and then see if the Tactical is less money. Another consideration is the 12FV comes with the Varmint accutrigger. Don't know which one the Tactical has.
    Google Savage 10 & 12 FV" and see which one fits your "NEEDs & WANTS" best.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bjenkins View Post
    Looking to pick up a Savage in 308, have been looking at the Tactical and just wondered if that would be a good choice or what else might be recommended? Mostly just target shooting but want something nice trying to stay under 800,00 or so? Thanks
    I picked-up a new Model 10 FCP HS Precision in .308 for $800 a while ago.

Not something you would want to tote around in the woods, but a nice stock for precision/target shooting.