Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy new rifle.S

Team Savage

Looking to buy new rifle.S

I am trying to decide on a new rifle in 6.5 Creedmore. I am looking at either the 10 Stealth Evolution at $1819 MSRP or the 110 Precision at $1499 MSRP. Other than the stock is there any difference? I do know that they can be had for less than MSRP but I am looking for what may the differences be. Savage website is woefully uninformative.

Barry

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeediver View Post
    I am trying to decide on a new rifle in 6.5 Creedmore. I am looking at either the 10 Stealth Evolution at $1819 MSRP or the 110 Precision at $1499 MSRP. Other than the stock is there any difference? I do know that they can be had for less than MSRP but I am looking for what may the differences be. Savage website is woefully uninformative.

Barry
    I have a few creedmoor and I reload my own ammo and right now H4350 is non existent, 5.56 is the same way.. my point is, I love the creedmoor but during this pandemic shit you may want to consider ammo availability on whatever you give. I would NEVER tell anyone not to go creedmoor, just sharing what I have found right now. Big name and small shops alike have 0 creedmoor and 5.56 ammo availability nor powders for reloading them

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Ted, Isn't that true for any caliber in quantity. Preparation is the word for the times we live in. And that is all encompassing.

Bighorn Origin: $825
    Trigger: $40-$250
    Barrel: $360-$550
    Nut: $20 -$60
    Chassis: $400-$1000

A guy could put together a nice ride for 1800 bucks and it would hold value with a much better action than a stock Savage.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Ted, Isn't that true for any caliber in quantity. Preparation is the word for the times we live in. And that is all encompassing.

A guy could put together a nice ride for 1800 bucks and it would hold value with a much better action than a stock Savage.
    Very true. And, I don't think I'd ever spend over $1000 for a factory Savage of any flavor.

Team Savage
    Very interesting answers that have nothing to do with the question that I asked and especially in a forum called SavageShooters.com.

Basic Member
    I think what they are trying to say is that you are still getting a button rifled barrel in a cost range where you could have a premium cut rifled and hand lapped barrel.

The differences in the descriptions. 5R button rifling the other does not say. One has AICS mag, the other does not say so it may not be. Both trued actions with varmint accutriggers. DIfferent chassis. Different weight.

I'd talk to someone at Savage before making a choice.

Basic Member
    The bighorn is a nice action. I still think you countless find a used Savage 12 laminate and have all but the trigger and barrel for $600. Unfortunately, the barrel will be $500. T&T your action $175 or so. New trigger....I like the Jard at $230, if I remember right. There are other cheaper options. So, that is $1500 there, if you bed it and no brake.

i would be $2500 finishing out that origin. Still needing optics on both.

This is still less that the $3500 that I will have into a M70 before all us said & done.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post

Not really, I'm seeing lots of odd ball ammo and guns still available. They may not be desirable for certain applications but would definitely be good for home defense. I'm seeing 16ga, 410, lots of lower end 9mm, 38spc.. I've mainly seen the shortage in the popular guns and ammo. May be good chance to diversify. I've never owned a shotgun but when I saw a 16 on the shelf and a boat load of ammo I bought my 1st shotgun 2 days ago

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orezona View Post
    Very true. And, I don't think I'd ever spend over $1000 for a factory Savage of any flavor.
    Luckily I have a very very nice stock of pills and powders for all my arms:)

Team Savage
    I am no gunsmith but have built my own AR-15. I do not shoot competition though I would like to, 6 back surgeries keep me from being able to move well, kneel and especially go prone that would be needed for that. I usually only shoot at my local club out to 600 yards. I do have some 1K yd ranges not too far. I was originally looking just to re-barrel my 10 FCP-K 308 that I shoot suppressed to 6.5 CM and to maybe add a Oryx chassis and new trigger. My 10FCP is a bottom bolt release so I have issues with finding upgrades.

For what I was going to do to my current rifle I figured I could buy something new such as the Savage 10 Stealth Evolution or the newer 110 Precision and get most of what I was looking for and then end up with having 2 rifles, I do still have reloading components for the 308.

If I were to go with Robinhood's suggestion and go with the Bighorn Origin action, then I am looking at spending $1800+ at a minimum as apposed to $1200-$1400 going the factory rifle option. Not knowing much about the Bighorn action, is it basically set up for Savage prefit barrels? Would it have the same action screw setup as a savage or would I needs a chassis for Remington 700? What barrel manufactures cut and not button rifle the barrels?

I am not opposed to putting my own rifle together as long as I can get something of good quality that would not then need to be put together by a gunsmith equaling more money spent. If I go this route then all the money over what I was going to pay for the factory Savage would then have gone to reloading tools and components. Going the more custom route would take everything I have and leave nothing for extraneous. Basically I have $2K total. Money from selling things from one hobby I don't do anymore to put into another.

I do love to put 5 shots into the same hole but I know that any rifle I get is far more accurate than I am. I just enjoying a 6 inch steel plate at 600 yards

Barry

Basic Member
    I may be mistaken but everything on/about the Bighorn actions site say Rem 700, but with so many Remage barrels out there....is that really an issue?

The other thing not mentioned is availabilty and wait times. Is your Savage available now vs 10 week wait for an action, 10 weeks for a barrel, etc... Me personally, I rather be punching holes/banging plates while I'm waiting those 10 weeks for a my new quality barrel to show up.

Basic Member
    I wouldnt overlook the savage target actions, I have a 308 with shilen I built on target action.. laser accurate, saving for a scope now, did load dev using vortex that's on another rifle.. probably end up with vortex or primary arms on this

Very interesting answers that have nothing to do with the question that I asked and especially in a forum called SavageShooters.com.
    At least my answer was "very" interesting. I try to be better than average.

I'd go with the 110 Precision myself. It has a 20 MOA Rail already on it. The Evolution does not. Everything else is pretty much the same. You may have a little less Mag capacity with the 110 Precision, but only 2 rounds. The 110 precision is a couple pounds lighter also.

However, The Evolution has an adjustable cheek piece and the Precision does not look like it does.... Something to consider.

Just my .02,

Basic Member
    The bighorn origin has the Rem 700 footprint- (for stocks and triggers) but has the savage threads for barrel. It is the best of both worlds in that regards. They are built to tight enough tolerances that many companies are now offering shouldered prefit barrels- so you get to bypass the barrel nut. It is so much nicer than any savage action. It extracts/ejects reliably, feeds better, and way smoother.

Savages are great rifles, but not in the $1400 range. Once you decide to spend that much you are better off getting something else. I have quite a few- and they shoot good- but they shine as a budget rifle or when you want to change them around.

Quote Originally Posted by Whynot View Post
    Savages are great rifles, but not in the $1400 range. Once you decide to spend that much you are better off getting something else.
    This is what I was trying to say with my answer.

Team Savage
    I am not opposed on going a more custom route, just trying to justify spending $1800 as opposed to $1200. If pay the 1200 then I have money for dies and components, 1800 then not so much. Also, can I assume that the 10 Stealth Evolution is SA while the 110 Stealth Evolution is LA? But the 110 Precision dos not list a model 10 version so would it be a LA then. I do see that on the 110 Precision lists from 6.5 to 338.

Barry

Basic Member
    I am not opposed on going a more custom route, just trying to justify spending $1800 as opposed to $1200. If pay the 1200 then I have money for dies and components, 1800 then not so much. Also, can I assume that the 10 Stealth Evolution is SA while the 110 Stealth Evolution is LA? But the 110 Precision dos not list a model 10 version so would it be a LA then. I do see that on the 110 Precision lists from 6.5 to 338.

Barry
    The one I built in the picture above, I have around 1300 in it, In the hands of a pro, I'd put it against any 8k custom. Jmo

Banned
    I like your idea of building off the action you currently have. That way you can CHOOSE the barrel & chassis you want! Doing option gives you a rifle better than any new Savage from the factory & quite a formidable stick in general.

Its also least expensive, and will leave money for some reloading equip. You worry of tools. Many, many of us here have replaced more than one Savage with the Action & Barrel wrench’s, bench vise & Go gauge. Maybe $60..... But I would guarantee there is someone here who would loan you the tools.

Team Savage
    If I do decide to go with a Bighorn Origin action and planning to go 6.5 CM, should I go SA or LA in case I want to go with a different caliber later such as 7mm?

If I do decide to go with a Bighorn Origin action and planning to go 6.5 CM, should I go SA or LA in case I want to go with a different caliber later such as 7mm?
    If you want to be able to convert to a 7mm you have to go with a LA.

Basic Member
    I've had a couple snags when using SA designed ammo in LA, usually been magazine related. There probably is someone here that can school you better on that as my specialty is AR10s. With that, I have built my share of bolt guns and have always had best results when using SA for 308, 6.5 cm etc and LA for 338, 30.06 etc.. just my experience.. others may vary:)

I built a .260 REM off of a Savage LA a couple years ago and I have had zero feeding problems. I went with the .260 because I reload and the 6.5 CM was reported to have feeding issues.

Basic Member
    You need to have a firm plan on what you want to do down the road. If it is going to be a 6.5 CM (and stay that) then use a short action. Depending on what 7mm cartridge you would use- you may want a LA. Especially if you are handloading and loading heavies. I have a 260rem on a short action and one on a long action. The throats were cut accordingly- the SA I load at 2.8 and the long action I am 3.035, and they both work great. So just make sure you have a plan on what you want to do with it- and what ammo you want to shoot.

If you are going with the Savage action then make sure you can find all the other parts (stock, chassis, bottom metat, dbm, etc) before you start. Not as many options for a savage- but if they have the combination you want then it should serve you good.

Then there is the new Badrock rifle from Ddefiance with Cone bolt head Tenacity. Honestly I'm nor sure why a tactical rifle would have a control feed and a cone boltface. Kind of defeats the purpose. Starting at 2000

The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast