Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What happened?

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Charlieb, I got that and you are right. I was looking at Mr.snerdly's comment. If you notice, I quoted his post where he said that some of his 243 grew .009" at the shoulder. I could have missed something though. I would expect a 1st firing to move a little if the headspace was set at max. >009" is out of that realm and this leads me to believe he had a case head separation and that was what he saw in his barrel. Not sure but one other poster may have said something like this already.
    Sorry, I was also referring back to Snerdly's comment. Just forgot to quote it. And the shoulder moving that much to me would be an issue as well.

My first thought about the obstruction would be that the primer had somehow wedged itself in there, but, that is not likely unless the next round was shoved in there to jam it in the bore.

Second thought was that for some reason a portion of the last bullet fired separated in the bore. I've never heard of that happening.

When I have had a case head separate I could easily see through the bore and the only obvious clue was the next round would not chamber.

If the recovered case is the one that was fired last and is complete then it has to be primer, piece of bullet, or a foreign object in the case with the powder.

Basic Member
    I'm pretty sure this is a headspace issue. Looking at the fired casing being measured with a shoulder gage that casing is bulging just above the case head says a lot.. This normally happens when you resize your casing and push the shoulder to far back. That's the reason the primer was pushed out of the primer pocket. You need to measure your shot casing and only bump your shoulder back .002 and this problem should stop.. You are also shooting a high pressure round and could be opening up your primer pocket if you are shooting them at max. loads. As for the obstruction in your barrel it had to be something inside your casing that came out with the powder.. I would also take your bolt apart and inspect the firing pin and components.. More severe problems could happen if your firing pin was damaged...

Basic Member
    Well lets look at it another way, suppose i said my opinion is that its an indigestion issue your having.
    Or do we look at chest pain issues differently than head pain issues?
    Apparently we do.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Well lets look at it another way, suppose i said my opinion is that its an indigestion issue your having.
    Or do we look at chest pain issues differently than head pain issues?
    Apparently we do.
    I'm going to put this right here.

The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

_.

Basic Member
    I'm going to put this right here.

Yes, and no doubt his mother sitting there watching the game said, look at that, everybody is wearing the wrong uniform but my Joey. lol

I suppose our life experiences may tend to change the way we think and view things.
    When i was 14 years old, i stood about 10’ from my father as he shot for the first time a nice 3006 sporter built on an Enfield action he had just bought.
    The second shot blew the rifle apart much like this one, and caused severe damage to my father.
    Thankfully the bolt remained in the gun.
    He had purchased the gun from a Pawn shop in Philly, and the owner gave him no satisfaction at all when he went back after recovering somewhat.
    Of coarse there being no internet then, he had no other choice but taking it to a gunsmith, again in Philly.
    Actually as it turned out a very good choice of gunsmith who had a partner who built the stocks and did the checkering on them.
    He took one look at the gun and said that gun came from Sedgley, i worked at Sedgley and Pete here built that stock.
    But added, i dont think that barrel was on that gun when it left Sedgley.
    Turned out the gun had been owned by a Philly cop who liked to tinker around with guns.
    And it also turned out to be a headspace issue that caused it.
    My father didnt even know what headspace was at that point.
    But the biggest surprise came when the gunsmith said what are you going to do with the gun?
    The action was still ok, so guess what, he rebuilt the thing and used it for the rest of his life.
    The new stock was actually nicer than the first one.
    Today is my 85th birthday, i had heart surgery when i was 70.
    But the guy who did it was no amateur, and neither are the guys who build my guns.
    Were talking very serious stuff here, that should be obvious, and to my mind at least theres no room for amateur opinions.

Agreed, But we are all Savagesmiths ....right?

Basic Member
    I doubt very much that Savage created the barrel nut in order for a bunch of gun nuts to become Savagesmiths.
    But one thing is for sure, without it there would be a whole lot less of them.
    And again, just my opinion is that wouldnt necessarily be a bad thing.
    Fully realizing that comment wont make me more popular around here.

Today is my 85th birthday.
    I'll hoist a hop flavored cold one later this day. Stay well !!

That relief pitcher on the mound should be Yuengling.....
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuj' View Post
    I'll hoist a hop flavored cold one later this day. Stay well !!

That relief pitcher on the mound should be Yuengling.....
    Thank you, they the opened a brewery here in Tampa a few years ago.
    Now Americas oldest brewery is also in Florida, and very popular here also.
    Im not much of a beer person, a case will last me a year, but one can be enjoyable with things like Pizza.
    I usually stop by Straubs brewery in Saint Marys Pa when im up at our camp and buy 2 cases.
    One for the camp and one to bring home.
    Maybe thats why my mind is off track, i dont drink enough beer. lol

Happy Birthday Yobuck. Late is better than never. Did you ever think you would see America overrun with communist.

Basic Member
    Happy Birthday Yobuck. Late is better than never. Did you ever think you would see America overrun with communist.
    Well if we go back in time, it becomes obvious that government control has been taking place for a very long time.
    And the more government control we have, the closer we become to a totalitarian society.
    LBJs war on poverty for example was never intended to be a war on poverty. It is what it was intended to be, people control over a large segment of our population.
    The biggest danger we face today however and need to come to grips with quickly if not sooner, is our learning institutions, which are largely controlled by communist or communist leaning faculty.
    The entertainment community of coarse including Hollywood, has had a long history of having a large percentage of communist within its ranks.
    So what we now see and hear coming from that group isnt anything new. Its just become more vocal and in your face.
    The entire globalism movement has been a way of controlling populations, and it came about for one reason.
    Weve been picking the wrong leaders for the wrong reasons for far too long.
    One more generation is probably all it would have needed.

Weve been picking the wrong leaders for the wrong reasons for far too long.
    One more generation is probably all it would have needed.
    Now there's a bag full cats that could get me banned !!!! I'm not
    buying into the communist theory. I will exploit the fact that over
    the years as Yobuck pointed out about government control, more
    and more power has been ceded to the Executive branch. Powers
    just keep getting broader, and broader to a point where the person
    in the Oval office just needs to write an order. There's a reason a
    person like what's sitting in that office is there today. I'm still scratchin'
    my head on that one. But it is what it is until the next 4 year cycle
    starts.

Hey guy's.....I apologize in advance of going off topic.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

I might take the gun to a local guy that is not a gunsmith by profession but is good. I am almost afraid to shoot again until someone looks it over

Bad idea.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Good idea!
    Well again ill be the odd guy.
    Taking it to a guy like that gives no credibility should his testimony ever be needed, he would be torn to shreds by an attorney.
    And even worse, he would have tainted the evidence of any possible factory issue.
    Sending it to Savage would probably at least result in a new gun.
    Taking it to a handy man will result in nothing but an opinion, and he already has plenty of those.

Changed my "good idea" to bad idea. Certainly don't want to see someone torn to shreds by an attorney because they allowed someone to look over their rifle.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Changed my "good idea" to bad idea. Certainly don't want to see someone torn to shreds by an attorney because they allowed someone to look over their rifle.
    Well if it ever gets to become a legal battle, rest assured that would happen.
    It would happen regardless, but harder to make that argument with an experienced professional.
    So Mr Smith, what do you do for a living?
    Well im actually an electrician, but ive always enjoyed fooling around with guns also, so i now moonlite as a gunsmith and Savages are my specialty. lol
    But also remember that free legal advise is about like getting free advice on anything else.
    It might end up being worth only what it cost.

well I myself like whats setting in the White House as most gun owners do. Are you serious

Basic Member
    Id say most of us appreciate the position the present administration in the white house has taken on gun rights issues.
    But i didnt realize they had also weighed in with an opinion on this issue. Lol

sorry had a senior moment

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123