Thread: Ran into a problem I have never had before

Ran into a problem I have never had before

Working on a Savage 111 LRH chambered in 6.5-284. The rifle shoots good but the bolt is catching and giving a very hard bolt click even on start loads with multiple bullets brass and powders. Bolt functions fine, no heavy bolt lift at all right up until the end and then its a two handed effort to get that last 1% of bolt rotation to get the bolt free. There are no markings on the brass at all and the chamber looks to be fine as well. I have cleaned it very well and removed all carbon and copper and the problem persists. I am wondering if maybe I should polish the bolt baffle and see if that helps. The rifle has around 150 rounds through it now and has done this from the start. I have tried Lapua, Norma and Hornady brass with the Hornady actually working the best so far as the bolt click goes.

Could be a primary extraction issue. Try a feeler gauge between rear baffle & action, raise bolt and see if it extracts.

I agree. Also when you are cleaning do you get all of the chemicals out of the chamber? sometimes it gets sticky in there.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Also check to make sure the front action screw is not impeding the bolt operation. Do you own a borescope camera like the Teslong?

And check the bolt handle extraction ramp. Sometimes, especially with aftermarket or modified bolt handles, the extraction ramp may need to be trimmed back a bit. The symptom is that it, while working against the rear baffle, is trying to extract the cartridge before the bolt lug has cleared the abutment. I've had to grind down the ramp on a bolt handle, or rear baffle to get the timing correct. Once corrected, it's smooth as butter.

To determine if this is the issue, watch closely the rear baffle as the bolt is rotated to that point of hard movement. If the rear baffle is hard against the rear action before the bolt reaches full rotation, the ramp will need trimming.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    Also check to make sure the front action screw is not impeding the bolt operation. Do you own a borescope camera like the Teslong?

And check the bolt handle extraction ramp. Sometimes, especially with aftermarket or modified bolt handles, the extraction ramp may need to be trimmed back a bit. The symptom is that it, while working against the rear baffle, is trying to extract the cartridge before the bolt lug has cleared the abutment. I've had to grind down the ramp on a bolt handle, or rear baffle to get the timing correct. Once corrected, it's smooth as butter.

To determine if this is the issue, watch closely the rear baffle as the bolt is rotated to that point of hard movement. If the rear baffle is hard against the rear action before the bolt reaches full rotation, the ramp will need trimming.
    I think this is my issue. Thanks. I'm going to tear into it tonight and see how it goes.

Let us know how it goes.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    During your inspection of the rear baffle & bolt handle, double check that the BAS is tight. A loose one may cause the same symptoms. It probably is tight being it did that from "New" but is any easy check.