Thread: Old 110FP .308 Bolt Upgrade

Old 110FP .308 Bolt Upgrade

Hello,

This has probably been asked, but I have not found a matching post. I would like to upgrade my entire bolt on a old 110FP in .308, to include small firing pin, bolt face , baffle, and springs to aftermarket. I have already replaced the bolt face several times with Savage parts and they continue to pit. My current bolt is NP3 coated but I figure I might as well replace this to. Has anyone ever done this and what should I look out for?

What do you mean pit your bolt face? If you are getting pits the diameter of the primer on your BF your brass is trash or you are experiencing high pressure that is blowing your primer pocket out and gas is blowing by. If you are piercing primers that is something we can discuss also. Very different approaches to fixing it. So which problem is it?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

There are dimples on the bolt face similar to gas jetting around primer cups - this was done on the first bolt face when I was a new reloaded 10 years ago. The newest bolt face has the same issue but without me being the cause. I use Lapua and Wincester .308 brass utilize heavier firing pin springs and keep firing pin protrusion around .035. This is an old large firing pin rifle and it is getting harder to find items like the cross pins and such so I would like to upgrade this assembly. I keep pouring money into this rifle.

Gotcha, you can buy the whole bolt assembly at midway depending on how old it is. Probably ebay also. Should be a drop in with the only potential issues being the primary extraction ramp relationship, maybe not. You will more than likely continue to have the pitting issues though so you might as well pick up a handful of the newer small pin bolt heads.

Ditch the heavy spring. The factory one is already too strong.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.