Thread: Savage 99 Book

Basic Member

Savage 99 Book

I just got another Savage and this one is a 99M I am looking for a good book to read on these rifles. What so you all recommend?

Basic Member
    This is the book I have. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313.TR1.T RC0.A0.H0.Xsavage+99+book.TRS0&_nkw=savage+99+book &_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=+inline+w ater+filter+kit+for+ice+maker

Lots of good info!

Try the book by David Royal. He has a website and had a good book with great pictures.

Basic Member
    DresserDan---I had the same question around a year ago, knew some about the 99's, just from what I read in gun and hunting magazines and such. Both the Murray and Royal book were suggested at the time. All I could find of the Murray book were $65-70 copies on eBay and online book stores. I bought the Royal book from a Savage forum member that had two new ones, bought at less than the suggested price. Great book, full of information I'd never seen before, well laid out, great color pictures. I bought the Murray book (new) from a forum member over on the 24 HR Campfire forum last fall for around what you see them selling for now on eBay and other sites for around the $40 price. I don't know why they are more abundant now than a year ago, but they are which is a good thing. The Murray book is like having all of the Savage Company yearly gun publications in one book and from what I've read is how he accumulated a lot of his information.

Between the two of them, if I were to have only one I'd take the Royal book. A lot more information, book is 'full of meat' about the 99's that I don't see in the Murray book. Some on this forum will disagree, but saying so as it's my opinion from reading a life time of books on guns. The Murray book is nice in that it lays out all of the 99 Models from the time it was first available and then a time line of the models and years produced. Information is given with each specific model as to what was available with each model as far as calibers, barrel lengths, wood used, checkering or not, etc. The Royal book does basically the same thing, but adds a lot of information the Murray book just gives the basic information on or leaves it out completely. As I previously penned, IMO the Royal book is miles above the Murray for that fact. The Murray book only has black and white pictures, mostly of the basic model while the Royal book has really nice detailed color pictures of all the models with variations within the model. The Royal hard cover (no paperback) is a large book approx. 11 1/2" x 9", while the Murray book which was only produced in a paperback version and measures 9"x6" and it is out of print.

One thing I read on the Murray book either on this forum or on the 24 HR Campfire forum (99 Section) is that there are fake copies of the Murray book out there being sold. At the time I read it there was info about several on eBay. Several of the 'fakes' could be ID'ed due to the fact that the covers were not the light brown/tan color, more of a off white and that the front of the book (cover) was printed in a slightly different format. Under the acutal wording where towards the bottom it is printed "A History Of The- SAVAGE- MODEL 99 RIFLE" , the fakes will have "THE MODEL 99 RIFLE" and I saw one that was printed MODEL 99 and then had RIFLE under the MODEL 99. IN fact just yesterday (4-1) I saw several on eBay with the off white cover with the improper wording. Compare a 'real' Murray book against some of the others and take what I wrote and see the difference. Some member here may difference what I wrote liking the Royal book over the Murray, JMO, but have read others comments also saying the same thing. The Murray book was written originally back in the mid 80's when the internet and computer information was in its infancy, it's a good book, giving basic Savage 99 information, but as I've penned, IMO the Royal book outshines, some on this forum will disagree. Both are good to have, never have not enough information on a great firearm. If you haven't bought one yet or already have, good reading. Someone down the line may have the same question you and I had on 99 books.

Added: The Murray book on its own is a very informative book. It's size and information are great if you ever go to a gun show or to a gun shop that has a lot of 99's and you need to get info on any 99's you're looking at. I do that a lot with various firearms, mostly leave the books in my vehicle and will go out and check info on certain firearms. After getting both books, IMO both complement each other, having both gives a lot of Savage 99 info at your fingertips and to yer eyeballs. As I stated though, the Royal book with its pictures and added info shines. To bad the Murray book has such poor and limited pictures.
    Last edited by Savage 94C; 04-13-2020 at 04:29 PM. Reason: add info

Basic Member
    Thank you I see what you mean about the fake Murray books on e b I will be on the look out for the Royal book

Basic Member
    Thanks, 94C for having my back. Now you see what I talked about when I sold you the Royal book. IMO it's a great book.