Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DBM questions

Basic Member

I see. Thank you sir
    I like big guns and I cannot lie

Basic Member
    And the Axis II has the Accutrigger.

Basic Member
    So today is the day that I got to pick up my new axis 2. My next upgrade would be the capacity. I'm thinking of this....https://www.ebay.com/itm/254216790457

And then getting a couple of these...
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/112247760626

Is this the stuff that will work for the factory stock while awaiting funds for the chassis system?

Basic Member
    Interesting. That might actually work. If it does let us know.

Basic Member
    Copy that, thanks charlie

Basic Member
    So could I put my axis 2 6.5 creedmoor stuff in a boyds stock meant for a savage 10 short action?

Basic Member
    No. Receivers and recoil lugs are different. Boyds has stocks for the Axis.

Basic Member
    Ok, I'll stick with my original plan. Thanks charlie

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Not a problem at all. I was just looking at it from the cost side.

For a project, if you are good with tools, then I'd get a Boyd's stock you like and then modify it to fit whatever magazines you wanted to use. It would take some new bottom metal and fabrication of a magazine retention system.

This was the route I took, I actually fabbed new bottom metal for my Boyd's/Axis combo. I originally bought a Boyd's At-One, swapped it for the stock plastic stock then went to the range. It performed ok, but I just didn't really like the stock that much, especially after shooting my son's 110 which is set up in a nice chassis with a pistol-grip. So I determined to resolve things to salvage the 200 bucks I paid for the At-One. I had a nice chunk of Aluminum for another project that died long ago, from that I cut/drilled/filed the bottom metal that would receive a more traditional DBM. The stock itself underwent a transformation from its original configuration. Really liked the pistol grip on the bench, so that was included in my new design. A lot of time with the band saw and belt sander resulted in a foundation upon which I started adding back some wood. I used some 1/4" x 4" pieces of walnut from Home Depot - I just picked though all the pieces in stock and took the ones with the nicest grain. The pistol grip has a 'tang' which is inserted into a slot I made in the Boyd's using a drill press with a end mill cutter and an X Y cross-slide vice. Then lapped some of the walnut onto the side of the tang and over a portion of the original Boyd's wood, again using the cross slide vice to prepare the stock to receive a piece of the walnut which would overlap the tang of my pistol grip and the Boyd's stock. The pistol grip is not going to break off. As you can see I reused the Boyd's adjustable comb and butt-plate, pretty much works as the original system did. I actually added some wood to the for-end and made the stock longer than original, then capped it with a piece of manzanita as well as the pistol grip end. Manzanita is a shrub that grows in the Sierra foothills, very hard/dense and it has a pretty reddish color.
    I opened up the well to receive my new bottom metal with the drill press/cross slide vice (poor man's milling machine lol) and once that was situated so that cartridges would feed well I bedded the stock and added steel pillars between the receiver and the new bottom metal. I've created a fairly large barrel channel, if this now shoots some nice groups I plan to add an aftermarket bull barrel.
    Bottom line is as it was stated if you have time and a few tools you can do whatever you want. I will also acknowledge that if I had known I would spend the amount of time that I did on this rifle stock I might have sold the original Boyd's for whatever I could have gotten on ebay and purchased a Pro Varmint stock which seems to have some fans on this site. But, I am pleased with what I have now and the time spent I look at as an investment in a hobby so the hours are free. Now looking forward to another session at the local range to see how it all works.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo Apr 03, 5 23 34 PM.jpg  

Basic Member
    That is some nice work.

I would not regret the AT one over the pro varmint. The adjustable comb is a good thing to have and I may be adding that to my pro varmint (as well as my 12BVSS).

V3 Precision has a 'Pillar & Metal Mag Clip' kit that works well with the Axis & Boyd stocks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12