Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DBM questions

Basic Member

DBM questions

So I am new to the bolt action realm and am kinda confused on the whole Detachable Box Magazine thing.
    I am currently awaiting my "delay" process to be over. I purchased an Axis 2 in 6.5 creedmoor with a bull barrel in ATACS camo. It came with some kind of scope so I was happy about that, but that is the extent of my knowledge on the rifle so far. I plan on setting it out to about 300-400 yards.

My main concern with it tho, is the 4 round mag. I have seen the 10 round mags have been made but cant seem to find any available. I also have seen people that are modifying some to make it higher capacity.

I am inquiring as to the DBM, is it as simple as buying one in a short action and throwing it on and then getting some AICS mags? OR, would it be more feasible to just buy some regular stock mags and then modify them?

Thanks for any advice and information that you can spare.
    -Smurf-
    Last edited by PappaSmurf; 03-22-2020 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Cause i have fat fingers

Basic Member
    https://www.snydermags.com/

This is the only place that I know of that makes higher cap mags for the Axis.

Basic Member
    Charlie,
    Thanks for the link. I did see those but at 115 bucks for a magazine??? GRANTED IT IS handmade and seems of durable quality but I'm thinking not so much for me.

Basic Member
    When you consider the cost of a Savage mag is around $50 and the cost of a G3 mag, $100 isn't bad.

Detachable magazine upgrades are not cheap.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    When you consider the cost of a Savage mag is around $50 and the cost of a G3 mag, $100 isn't bad.
    I do understand that, but I'm thinking long term...I'm thinking of going with a different stock and then maybe possibly a chassis system later on down the road...then all mags would carry over. If that made any sense.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Detachable magazine upgrades are not cheap.
    Robin hood, so I have found out. Lol
    I was just wondering if I could get say a Boyd's stock and have it inlet to accept an ACIS mag, then I could be done. However I have to do more research on the whole pillar and bedding thing.
    Thank you for your response though

Basic Member
    Those converted magazines are the cheapest way to get there.

'Best' solution is a chassis. Just not cheap.

Basic Member
    Those converted magazines are the cheapest way to get there.

'Best' solution is a chassis. Just not cheap.
    Charlie, that is my end goal is to have it on a chassis and for it to be good out to about 900-1000 yards

Quote Originally Posted by PappaSmurf View Post
    Robin hood, so I have found out. Lol
    I was just wondering if I could get say a Boyd's stock and have it inlet to accept an ACIS mag, then I could be done. However I have to do more research on the whole pillar and bedding thing.
    Thank you for your response though

Not just the Boyd's stock but you have to also purchase the "bottom metal" that is designed to accept whatever magazine you choose.

I have one of the Snyder Axis-style magazines that uses an E.Arthur Brown bottom plate. Very happy with it.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    Not just the Boyd's stock but you have to also purchase the "bottom metal" that is designed to accept whatever magazine you choose.

I have one of the Snyder Axis-style magazines that uses an E.Arthur Brown bottom plate. Very happy with it.

I love your stock and wish I could get that just without the thunbhole. Also, thank you for your response and advice. Could you elaborate on (or point me in the right direction) of the "bottom metal"

Thanky. The pattern is "Forest Camo" from Boyd's.

The bottom frame I have is this one:

https://www.eabco.net/Savage-Short-A...l_p_14780.html

It fits the M10/M11 receiver (short) bolt spacing but I don't now much about the Axis rifles Mine is the version of the M11 that used the Axis style magazine catch. I chewed out the Boyds and bedded mine with Accraglas (receiver and bottom frame) and used a "replacement" metal trigger guard.

Basic Member
    Thanky. The pattern is "Forest Camo" from Boyd's.

The bottom frame I have is this one:

https://www.eabco.net/Savage-Short-A...l_p_14780.html

It fits the M10/M11 receiver (short) bolt spacing but I don't now much about the Axis rifles Mine is the version of the M11 that used the Axis style magazine catch. I chewed out the Boyds and bedded mine with Accraglas (receiver and bottom frame) and used a "replacement" metal trigger guard.
    Definitely looks better than stock. I guess I just have to wait till my "delayed" process is over and i have the rifle in hand in order to inspect it more.

Basic Member
    If you are going to end up with a chassis, then I would skip the magazine conversion and save my money for the chassis. By the time you buy a new stock, bottom metal and magazine you'd be half way to the chassis anyway, and with mags that would not fit the chassis.

If you are getting a new axis then I understand the stock is pillar bedded. Just stick with it and practice.

Basic Member
    If you are going to end up with a chassis, then I would skip the magazine conversion and save my money for the chassis. By the time you buy a new stock, bottom metal and magazine you'd be half way to the chassis anyway, and with mags that would not fit the chassis.

If you are getting a new axis then I understand the stock is pillar bedded. Just stick with it and practice.
    Charlie,
    Would the glass bedding be better then pillar bedding?
    Also, I need something to play with or my mind goes nuts. I have ADHD and depression. When my mind goes idle then I go into a manic spiral. I do understand the cost is gonna be greater, but I'm sure it would be a great learning experience doing this all myself.
    With that being said, I DO APPRECIATE your responses and can only take this as advice and information.

Basic Member
    Not a problem at all. I was just looking at it from the cost side.

For a project, if you are good with tools, then I'd get a Boyd's stock you like and then modify it to fit whatever magazines you wanted to use. It would take some new bottom metal and fabrication of a magazine retention system.

Full bedding is better than just pillars, but, for the Axis, not by a lot. If you are capable of shooting 1/4MOA on a regular basis then you might be able to tell the difference. If you are like me, at the 1/2MOA level, then probably not. I noticed the difference when I went from a stock Axis to the Boyd's Pro Varmint stock (without bedding). But, I did not notice any difference when I bedded the Pro Varmint stock. I was at 1/2MOA before and still 1/2MOA.

Why might this be? First, my shooting skill is not that great. Second, the Axis action does not have a lot of area that can be used for bedding.

Basic Member
    Not a problem at all. I was just looking at it from the cost side.

For a project, if you are good with tools, then I'd get a Boyd's stock you like and then modify it to fit whatever magazines you wanted to use. It would take some new bottom metal and fabrication of a magazine retention system.

Full bedding is better than just pillars, but, for the Axis, not by a lot. If you are capable of shooting 1/4MOA on a regular basis then you might be able to tell the difference. If you are like me, at the 1/2MOA level, then probably not. I noticed the difference when I went from a stock Axis to the Boyd's Pro Varmint stock (without bedding). But, I did not notice any difference when I bedded the Pro Varmint stock. I was at 1/2MOA before and still 1/2MOA.

Why might this be? First, my shooting skill is not that great. Second, the Axis action does not have a lot of area that can be used for bedding.
    I'm liking the boyds the more I look at them, but just not the thumbhole ones. I will be wrapping them anyway as I also dont like the sight of wood stocks, but that's too easy. So if I have taken all the information correctly, all I need to do what I want is
    - Boyd's stock of my choosing

- bottom metal thing...http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/savag...ealth-dbm.html

- and the magazines to go with the afore mentioned bottom metal.

Do you guys think I have this correct?

Basic Member
    Except from what I can tell the bolt spacing is wrong for an Axis. That bottom metal is for a series 10 rifle.

Axis I think is 4.8"

You need to look for Axis specific hardware.

That's the problem when you have an Axis. Few of the std Savage 10/110 parts fit.

Basic Member
    Except from what I can tell the bolt spacing is wrong for an Axis. That bottom metal is for a series 10 rifle.

Axis I think is 4.8"

You need to look for Axis specific hardware.

That's the problem when you have an Axis. Few of the std Savage 10/110 parts fit.
    Gotcha. I guess I jumped the gun on that and didnt even fully read the description. I will continue looking for the savage axis bottom metal
    I like big guns and I cannot lie

Don't know anything about them other than they list an Axis bottom - and their website is currently down - but CDI Precision has/had them.

www.cdiprecisiongunworksstore.com

Basic Member
    Don't know anything about them other than they list an Axis bottom - and their website is currently down - but CDI Precision has/had them.

www.cdiprecisiongunworksstore.com
    Thank you sir, yeah I've been getting the same message about their website being down since I've started looking. But I do appreciate your thought

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PappaSmurf View Post
    Thank you sir, yeah I've been getting the same message about their website being down since I've started looking. But I do appreciate your thought
    The owner Jeff Allen passed away last October.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by prdatr View Post
    The owner Jeff Allen passed away last October.
    Oh crap,
    I'm sorry to hear this! I hope his family is okay and now understand why the site is down. I guess I'll have to keep looking.

Thank you for the info prdatr!

Basic Member
    Also does anyone know what the differences are between a normal savage axis 2 and a savage axis 2 XP?
    Thanks in advance

The XP just indicates that it's a "package deal" meaning it probably came with a basic scope & rings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast