Thread: Axis Project

Axis Project

I recently traded into a Savage Axis. The previous owner had a round stuck in the chamber. I removed the barrel and then the round, but there's still "miscellaneous items" jammed into the bore where he tried to remove the stuck round. Lol. I'm confident the barrel is trash.

I'm not looking to spend a fortune on this rifle. It's original configuration was 223 with a camo stock. Should I look for a budget replacement / takeoff 223 barrel and stick with that? My other options would be to swap to something like 6.5 cm or a similar round.

Thoughts, advice, and input are greatly appreciated!

Basic Member
    If budget is a factor stick to 223 or 223 case like 300 bo. Otherwise you need a new bolt head, new bolt stop, new magazine.

Watch the classifieds here, a replacement barrel will show up sooner or later.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    Sometimes Numrich or these guys will have one as well.

http://northlandshooterssupply.com/clearance/

Quote Originally Posted by at4rxj View Post
    I recently traded into a Savage Axis. The previous owner had a round stuck in the chamber. I removed the barrel and then the round, but there's still "miscellaneous items" jammed into the bore where he tried to remove the stuck round. Lol. I'm confident the barrel is trash.

I'm not looking to spend a fortune on this rifle. It's original configuration was 223 with a camo stock. Should I look for a budget replacement / takeoff 223 barrel and stick with that? My other options would be to swap to something like 6.5 cm or a similar round.

Thoughts, advice, and input are greatly appreciated!
    Get whatever you want!
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Update 4/12:
    I got the replacement barrel and borrowed some head spacing gauges. Got the barrel installed pretty smoothly and also got the mcarbo trigger upgrade kit. However, I'm having an issue with the bolt now. When I cycle the bolt after firing it's not staying in the cocked position. I have to remove the bolt, manually cock it, then put it back in the gun. There were no signs of high pressure on the case, but if I dry fire and cycle with no rounds in the mag, it seems to work fine. What could be causing this? I only shot three rounds, and it did this every time.

Edit: It does this whether I fire the round or not. If I cycle a round, the bolt will not go back into battery after I eject it and the bolt is not cocked.

Basic Member
    The detent at the top of the cocking ramp is wore off. To fix it, you can use a small dremel bit and grind the detent slightly deeper.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

I like the idea of sticking with .223. I am doing a project build so far this is where I am; New flash hide, M 1000 Hilux Leatherwood ART, tactical bolt knob, mcarbo shim kit with new return pressure spring, Black Hawk bipod. What next will be MDT chassis, standard magpul AR stock and grip. I hope to enjoy shooting it pretty soon. Opinions appreciated good or bad!

good deal,

Try this again

Yep, I just picked up a Axis 223 HB with scope from WM couple wks ago, $361 out the door..

1st upgrade will be a pillared boyds stock

Basic Member
    The platform is one of the most versatile . From 223 to up to 300 win mag with few inexpensive part swaps. Other than barrel . Caliber type depends on intent of use