Thread: Axis bolt scapes across the safety?

Axis bolt scapes across the safety?

I just purchased a savage Axis II, my first bolt action, and found it odd that when I work the bolt, it lightly scrapes across the safety button. Anyone else have this? I tightened down the action screws a little more and no change, right now I'm keeping them at 35 in lbs.

This issue doesn't really provide any extra resistance to moving the bolt and it's only when you first move the bolt - as the section under the bolt handle that protrudes the most, is the only part that touches, after that the bolt keeps coming back without touching anything. But since the safety is grated, I hear it it rub across all those ridges, again, it just barely touches.

I just don't want to mount a scope and zero this in, if this is not normal and needs to go back to savage, which I'm hoping I don't have to do. It's not a huge deal, and if others have this, I'm fine with it.

Thanks.

So I fixed this issue. This whole time that I was installing the stock, I had the bolt in the gun. I eventually decided to remove the bolt and then put on the stock and tighten down both action screws. This solved the problem. Not having the bolt in the gun affected how the actions screws, ( most particularly the one closest to the trigger guard) tightened everything down.

But this raised only more questions since I am wondering why this occurs. If the action screw nearest to the trigger guard is apparently impeded on how far you can screw it in due to the bolt being in the gun, wouldn't that mean that with the bolt removed and this action screw tightened down there would be interference when the bolt is re-inserted?

In all these instances I am tightening to 35 in lbs with a wheeler torque driver. It's just that the action bolt nearest the trigger guard keeps going in further before reaching the limit on the torque driver IF the bolt is NOT in the gun. If I attempt this with the bolt in the gun, and still reach 35 ft lbs of torque, the bolt will then scrape across the safety when working the action.

I'm stumped. As I said in my original post, this is my first bolt gun. My wheelhouse of decent knowledge is semi-auto rifles and handguns which I have been shooting for 20 years, so I'm sort of a fish out of water with this bolt gun; but I'm tinkering with it as much as I can to become proficient with it.

Appreciate any insight with this matter.

Trim just a tad off the screw and you should be good to go.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67