Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ejector and Plunger

Basic Member

Speaking to Savage rifles, I don’t remove the ejector, never have. Leaving the ejector in does not mean your going to have 6 to 10 thousands headspace, if you have and mechanical feel at all. I don’t know what My headspace is, but it couldn’t be any less.

lately I have been disassembling the bolt to try to achieve minimal bolt lift.

It is also a precise method to find the lands with zero resistance on the bolt.

Those who feel more comfortable removing the ejector or anything else, no problem, go for it.

Basic Member
    We all have different methods to get to the same place. The wave washer holds it in place but if you accidently press too hard against the bolt and drop it part way out it sucks, just like a broken pin.
    I use scotch tape on my gauge, with ejector in it has a tendency to "tear up" the tape. I like it very snug on the gauge with 1 piece of tape. With two thickness it is no go. This method has worked for me to get all 5 of my 6.5 CMs close enough to use same bump setting + or - .0005. So it definitely works for my purposes.
    However i have set many with complete bolt intact with no consequence. I still double check no go with 2 tape layers (approx .004). Some tape brands vary up to .0005 so best to measure each use.
    The "stripped bolt" method can also be used for checking bump on sized brass and where the bullet meets the lands. For checking bullet in the lands the rear baffle has to be used with the detent balls removed. The PE is required to feel the "click" as the bullet is extracted from the lands. The baffle can be lightly taped to the receiver to keep it from flopping around.
    If interested it is called the "Wheeler method" and there is U-tube video of it. (Done on Remington or clone).

Edit: the wave washer also adds a small amount of tension between the front baffle & bolt head. Part of the reason for reinstalling the "unloaded" firing pin. The bolt will not fall free with the wave washer in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I was just interested in your purpose. I measure things with all different types of inspection equipment regularly and could not figure out how you came to your opinion . Putting something solid in a space with as much as .004" clearance and being able to feel the airspace intrigues me. Unless you are looking for minimum headspace exactly. If so what is the purpose of that? Just trying to learn.

I do remove the firing pin. I let the wave washer hold the cross pin in place. To me that has much more impact on feel. The dragging of the bolt lugs and the cock on close messes up the feel for me, The minor impact the ejector has to feel has never even been an issue for me.
    Cock on close?

Correct. The hand off, the drag of the lugs once the CoC takes place etc...

You can remove the cocking piece pin out if you have issues with the cross pin falling out.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12