Thread: New (to me) Savage BVSS on the way!!

Basic Member

New (to me) Savage BVSS on the way!!

I have a pair of Model 10s in 223 that I've rebuilt. Only thing original on both are the actions. Boyds stocks that I pillar and epoxy bedded the actions in, McGowan 26 inch 8 twist varmint barrels and decent scopes on both. They both produce 1/4 MOA and are deadly on rock chucks. I learned a lot about making rifles shoot with those two.

I also have a Ruger M77 in 25-06 that recently started reloading for to try it for rock chucks as well this spring. It has a light sporter barrel and the typical full contact of the stock fore end to the barrel. Shoots 1 moa but I want better. It is for sale.

I found a used Savage 112 BVSS in 25-06, newer model with the 26 inch stainless fluted barrel and accutrigger. Sent a check off in the mail yesterday. Now I wait. In the meantime my plan is to process the brass that I have in my pin tumbler and anneal the necks. I may work up some test loads and seat the bullets long with the plan to set them deeper after I get my hands on the BVSS and can measure the distance to the lands.

All of the reviews I've read on the BVSS claim that they are shooters right out of the box. The guy who posted this one for sale claimed that it easily shoots 1/2 moa.

I'm excited!!

I would be too. The BVSS is a beautiful rifle.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Actually after having a couple of BVSS rifles I think it will shoot 1/2 moa also. Keep us posted after you get it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Actually after having a couple of BVSS rifles I think it will shoot 1/2 moa also. Keep us posted after you get it.
    I will

Basic Member
    I love the look of the BVSS. Good find and I hope you enjoy it.

Basic Member
    They are indeed quite accurate, and typically the action operates smoother. I have a 12 BVSS that currently sports a 6BR barrel, and a friend has a 112 BVSS in 338LM that is a ton of fun to shoot ELR. That 25-06 should be a real shooter.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

My son's BVSS is 223 with the fluted stainless barrel and it's a tack driver with 75 grain A-Max.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    I like mine in .308. 1/2 MOA or better if I do my part. Right now it is my cast bullet rifle. It is close to MOA at 300yd.

Basic Member
    No new info yet. I ordered a Nightforce NX8 4-32 x 50 in February on their military discount offer. Great price but it has a 120 day wait. I finally figured out that is 120 working days and I'm hoping it is up soon.

On the bright side without having the BVSS to mess with I was able to concentrate on rock chucks and went through 2000 rounds between my two model 10 223's. I killed chucks at 621, and 687 yards and hit one at 905 yards (no wind). Could not do that without good optics and my Kestrel 5700 elite to give me a firing solution.

Can't wait to get my hands on the NX8 and start to play with the BVSS 25-06.

Basic Member
    FINALLY, the NX8 is on the way. (at least Nightforce took my money for one) I should be able to post results by the end of October. I'm going on a road trip this week and the NX8 will arrive while I'm gone. Can't wait to get the scope mounted on the rifle and put some time at the range and my reloading press for load development.

Basic Member
    Forgot. I could not shoot this rifle to it's full potential until I put a cheek riser on it. The Vortex scope I have is a 50mm objective so high rings. Could not get a good cheek weld until I put the riser on it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Forgot. I could not shoot this rifle to it's full potential until I put a cheek riser on it. The Vortex scope I have is a 50mm objective so high rings. Could not get a good cheek weld until I put the riser on it.
    Both of my model 10s have an adjustable comb so I've put a temp neoprene riser on this stock for the same reason. If it works I will either get this stock modified or buy another Boyd's and pillar and epoxy bed the action.

Basic Member
    update. The Nightforce scope is awesome. Stock is too small for me and contributes to serious muzzle jump so I've ordered a Choate Custom Tactical. It has an adjustable comb and a three way adjustable butt plate. I'm hoping it will help direct recoil straight back.

A work in progress.

I'm curious what bullet you're going to go with on your 25-06?

Varmint bullet selection for 25 cal has always been poor, compared to either 6mm or 6.5mm. And since Berger discontinued their fantastic 110 MEF bullet in 25 cal years ago (along with a bunch of other 25 cal bullets), the choices are all light weight bullets (75-85gr).

I still have 3 boxes of those Berger 110's sitting on a shelf (I was running a long rang prairie dog rig in 25 wssm for a few years).

I've been tempted to load up those MEF's in my 257 Ackley Roberts, but I'd be afraid I'd like them too much, and then have nothing to fall back on. Lol.

Is there another heavy 25 cal bullet that's come out (that I've missed)?
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim View Post
    I'm curious what bullet you're going to go with on your 25-06?

Varmint bullet selection for 25 cal has always been poor, compared to either 6mm or 6.5mm. And since Berger discontinued their fantastic 110 MEF bullet in 25 cal years ago (along with a bunch of other 25 cal bullets), the choices are all light weight bullets (75-85gr).

I still have 3 boxes of those Berger 110's sitting on a shelf (I was running a long rang prairie dog rig in 25 wssm for a few years).

I've been tempted to load up those MEF's in my 257 Ackley Roberts, but I'd be afraid I'd like them too much, and then have nothing to fall back on. Lol.

Is there another heavy 25 cal bullet that's come out (that I've missed)?
    It is pretty slim pickins for the 25s. 117's seem to be avail but I don't know how they will perform. I have a small selection of Hornady 75 grain, Nosler 85 grain and Speer 100 grain bullets to work with. Would like something heavier but am reluctant to invest in a lot of lead until I see how it will shoot. Really looking forward to getting the Choate stock.

I'm sure you can get a 115-120 gr bullet to shoot well out of the gun. For small varmints, I've always wanted a bullet that would come apart on either a hit, or a miss and a skip off the ground. I'm always afraid of ricochets and bullets skipping off the ground and sailing off for a mile or more. Around here, it seems like everywhere you look, sooner or later there's a farm house "over there" and you have to be concerned.

I know not everyone has the same shooting conditions, but it's something that I have to watch out for here.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim View Post
    I know not everyone has the same shooting conditions, but it's something that I have to watch out for here.
    Where are you? I'm in Idaho and most of the places I shoot either have NOTHING behind for miles or a rock wall. Lucky. I do have to watch for farmers out working fields beyond where I'm shooting. A lighter bullet would have a tendency to explode on impact but would not carry as far. I can reach out to 600 yards in no wind with my 223s and I'm counting on the 25-06 to extend my range so I'm looking for a bullet 100 grains or heavier. (Even though I have 75 and 85 gr pills to play with)

I'm in North Dakota. Almost glass table flat, most of the state is private land, and there are farmhouses everywhere. So bullets that skip off the ground and keep going are a real concern.

Wind is a big factor here. On a rare windless day, I'll shoot a 17 hmr and a 22 Hornet out to 200, my 223 (sporter weight) out to 300, 22-250 out to maybe 500, 243 Win out to 600, and the 6.5x284 will go right to about 1100. Now when the wind comes up, those ranges all get dialed back accordingly. It's hard to get a windless day here. Lol.

One of the reasons I gave up on a 25 cal varmint rifle was lack of good long range bullets (once the Berger MEF's were out of production anyway). I mean who wants to shoot a big 25 at 300-400 yards? Rep from Berger told me that their 25 cal bullet line was their least popular, and that's why a large bunch of them were pulled from production. Shame really, they were the only "heavy" 25 varmint bullet I'd found. Was hoping you'd found a new one.

On a positive note, that BVSS would be real easy to turn into a 6-06 or a 6.5-06 for a better selection in long range bullets. Could even go "AI" for longer brass life.

Basic Member
    One more update. I decided that I did not like the factory stock even though it is pretty it does not fit me very well. I ordered a Choate Tactical Custom and after some minor inletting I was able to get back to the range with this rifle. The rifle recoiled up and right real bad with the factory stock, the Choate does not do that, I'm still playing with adjusting the butt plate and bipod position to tame it even more.

Factory Remington 120gr Core-Lokt bullets are not liked by this rifle at all. They print a pattern more than a group. It's bad. I ran some ladder loads with 75 gr Hornady V-Max bullets and found two velocity nodes so I loaded up three shot groups inside each node and I loaded up a three shot test load with 85gr Nosler SPBT. WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT!! All three groups had two holes overlapping with the third shot in each group a 'flier' that was 1/4 inch away. I think the flier was due to me not yet that familiar with the Choate stock and not yet settling into an identical hold every time.

Last night I ordered a box of Berger 115gr VLDs and now I look forward to getting my hands on them and getting them to the range.

This rifle will be my long range (500 to 900 yard) chuck rifle. WooHoo!!

I know it's bad timing to be looking for components. I tried the 75 Vmax years ago with no luck. The 117 and 120s didn't want to shoot either with the components I tried at the time. The 100gr ballistic tips did pretty well but my favorite bullet for 25-06 is 110 Accubonds. Kills whitetail deer like lightning with lots of trauma. Best prices I've found are seconds and over runs from Shooters Pro Shop and the all of them that I've received over many years perform no different than first run bullets. I'm on the email list so they send me an email when they get stock. You gotta be quick on the order though because they sell out super quickly. especially right now. Also I've found that RL22, RL22 or even RL22 in a pinch can be used for the 25-06. Gives great velocity and accuracy. Standard 111 sporter 22" and 110FP 24" both shoot bugholes though they each have their own nodes.
    Heck I let a fella shoot the 111 sporter with a Bushnell Elite 3200 at the range and he was so impressed with the tiny groups he wouldn't leave me alone about trading the spray painted and bedded 111 sporter I built for my son when he was 11 years old and still hunts with as a grown man, for his Browning Gold Medallion in .243. "Sorry Man it's my sons first rifle and not for sale." LOL
    Might try tuning some 110 accubonds for the Ruger if you still have it. It may surprise you.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Big, I too am on SPS email list and they finally had some of the 85gr ballistic tips that I mentioned above. I snagged 300 of them. They will certainly do the job on chucks. I just hope they hold up at long range for velocity and accuracy.

I sold my Ruger M77 in 25-06. It would have needed a new barrel and stock to do what I wanted and I have more experience with the Savages. Liked the action except for the angled action screw.