Thread: Savage A22 & B22 Precision Series

Savage A22 & B22 Precision Series

Has anyone picked up one of these? I've not seen very many reviews, wonder how they compare to the Ruger.

Basic Member
    22 Plinkster's review on the B22 Precision -

I have the B17 Precision. Love it!

Basic Member
    Id be interested to hear more about them too. Starting to look for open class rifles for next year, currently my B22FV has served me well but I despise the amount of flex in the forend.

Quote Originally Posted by RN923 View Post
    Id be interested to hear more about them too. Starting to look for open class rifles for next year, currently my B22FV has served me well but I despise the amount of flex in the forend.
    I would be glad to answer any questions. This is my first rifle in .17 hmr, and not sure why I waited so long to shoot with this laser beam of a round. You will be hard pressed to find any flex in the MDT chassis, but be warned that it is a heavy package.

Well I found a reasonable deal on a B22 Precision, just delivered this morning. Looks like its going to be fun.

Interested in reports/reviews on the b22 precision but not finding much. We do have them in Canada but . don’t know if they are selling. Much more is coming out re the Tika T1x. What’s happening in the U.S.?

I just picked up a B22 Precision and love it with one exception. Every 30 or 40 rounds it will fail to eject. I can clean it thoroughly and every thing is fine for another 30 or 40 rounds and then it will fail to eject. and that is with multiple brands of ammo. Anyone else had a similar problem? Other than that it is very accurate with CCI standard velocity, great trigger, fun to shoot when it will cycle. Open to suggestions.

The trigger is awesome!
    I've been out with mine, I've have no issues with the B22. Installed an EGW 20MOA rail, but due to constant the wind lately, it's not worth shooting on the wide open farm land.
    I did get a picture when I was out behind the shed/beside the truck trying to hide out of the freaking wind.

Savage B22 22lr c/w Vortex Crossfire 4-12*50 AO

Looking forward to the ranges opening back up so I can shoot relatively protected from the wind.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Czy_Horse View Post
    The trigger is awesome!
    I've been out with mine, I've have no issues with the B22. Installed an EGW 20MOA rail, but due to constant the wind lately, it's not worth shooting on the wide open farm land.
    I did get a picture when I was out behind the shed/beside the truck trying to hide out of the freaking wind.

Savage B22 22lr c/w Vortex Crossfire 4-12*50 AO

Looking forward to the ranges opening back up so I can shoot relatively protected from the wind.
    Nice looking rifle. Is your shooting bench homemade?

Quote Originally Posted by Don G View Post
    Nice looking rifle. Is your shooting bench homemade?
    Thanks. Yes I replaced the wooden top on an old Stanley Work-Mate to use as a shooting bench. Works real well to take the kick out of big bore rifles or shot gun c/w slugs when zeroing scopes. I put the 25lb weight on the lead sled & another 10 lbs on the front of the bench. It moves when you shoot, does a nice gentle rock back when shooting the heaviest loads in my 45-70Gov, 444Marlin or 300Win Mag.

Better view

Folds down to about 18-20" high for storage & transport.

I got the $50 USD rebate cheque from Savage yesterday. Just in time to buy some ammo, the Ontario Government is letting the ranges open up on the 19th.

I have the B22 precision. Awesome rifle. I do get the dreaded scratches on my bullets from the bolt though. I’m waiting to hear back from savage on this issue.

I bought the A22 precision. So far very respectable. At 50 yards the groups were 1 inch or so using GECO 40gr ammo. I have no doubt things would tighten up if it weren't for a wind that was gusting 20+ mph.

UPDATED - CAUTION READ ENTIRE POST
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe T View Post
    I just picked up a B22 Precision and love it with one exception. Every 30 or 40 rounds it will fail to eject. I can clean it thoroughly and every thing is fine for another 30 or 40 rounds and then it will fail to eject. and that is with multiple brands of ammo. Anyone else had a similar problem? Other than that it is very accurate with CCI standard velocity, great trigger, fun to shoot when it will cycle. Open to suggestions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Destro View Post
    I have the B22 precision. Awesome rifle. I do get the dreaded scratches on my bullets from the bolt though. I’m waiting to hear back from savage on this issue.

This could be what your looking for. I found this article when I was looking for information on torqueing down the action screws.

https://gundigest.com/gun-reviews/ri...hassis-rimfire
    Quote Originally Posted by Gundigest
    “The chassis-to-barreled-action fit is exceptional. Torqued down, there’s zero wiggle or flex, and the barrel centers perfectly in the channel. However, finding the best way to torque them together took some experimenting.

With the Savage actions, MDT recommends starting the action screws and then lightly pushing the action forward into the recoil lug before torquing down to about 65 in-lb. When I did this, one of my two B22 magazines no longer “clicked” into the rifle. It fit, but not well. This also threw off the bolt timing a bit. Every 30th or 40th shot didn’t clear the action on ejection, tumbling into the open air between the bolt face and breech and then settling atop the magazine.

Some bullets also caught on the edge of the chamber, shaving some of the soft lead nose—which is detrimental to accuracy. This was especially the case with the flat-nosed bullets I tested. The situation felt dire, but all these issues went away by resetting the action with some rearward pressure. The rifle has performed exceptionally well and without issue since.

Lesson learned: Take your time setting action to chassis and experiment with placement … or, don’t take it apart in the first place
    I've started increasing the torque on the action screws 5 in-lb at time, groups are getting smaller at 100yds. ATM, I'm at 40 in-lb. What's everyone else torqueing their action screws to?

I'm really liking the new scope . Easy to see 22 holes in paper @ 100yds. My eye picks up CCI SV around 70yds when the parallax is focused for 100yds.

Savage B22 Precision 22lr c/w Vortex Crossfire 6-18*44 BDC AO, EGW 20MOA Rail, Faux Suppressor.

UPDATE: The rear action screw head stripped at about 55 in-lbs.
    I'll need a gun smith to get the screw out.

I went and search and found a video on MDT's web site. In the video they say 65 in-lbs
    BUT watch carefully they swap out the Savage hardware for their (MDT's). I don't think the Savage screws are of high enough quality to torque to 65 in-lbs.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Destro View Post

Did Savage ever respond and is the problem fixed? It's 2 years since this thread and I recently purchased the B22 Precision and have the same problem. Wondering if there is a fix for this yet???