Thread: ??reccomend factory ammo for 12FV 6.5 creedmore (.223) ??

Basic Member

??reccomend factory ammo for 12FV 6.5 creedmore (.223) ??

Looking for reccomendations on what different ammos to purchase to try out in a new 12FV 6.5 for best accuracy. We heard each gun can differ on what works best, but looking for a starting point. Did a lil, research, and heres a bit of list that came up for when we figuring on getting the 12LRP (which we didn't). Hoping to get some of you to comment of say what did/didn't work well for you. We usually use SG Ammo, but any reccomendations of any places or ammo would be appreciated.

140 ELD Hornady
    Winchester 140 Match
    140 Berger VLD Target
    123 Scenars
    Burris XTR2
    120 Amax

Also, we got a .223 12FV, also, and kinda the same question for it also. We have some WOLF GOLD, but thought maybe what would be the next steps up from that w/o getting to expensive. We know the 6.5 ammo isnt going to be cheap, and want to get some pretty descent stuff, for it, but at the moment want to think semi economical for the .223, thanks

I had excellent accuray from Hornady black box.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Prime Ammo is about as good as it gets. They use Peterson brass and Berger bullets at very reasonable prices.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Jester

Basic Member
    I also have both the 12 FV 6.5mm CM and the 12 FV .223.
    I also have a 12 LRP in 6.5mm CM and, to be honest, the 12 FV shoots almost as accurately for a lot less money.
    However, I am more consistent with the 12 LRP, at least with the factory stocks. The HS-Precision stock on the 12 LRP is much more stable then the hidden mag factory stock on the 12 FV. I could feel the 12 FV stock flex with the 6.5mm Creedmoor and eventually changed the stock to an Oryx chassis and got about a 10% improvement in accuracy.

For the 12 FV 6.5mm Creedmoor, the 140 ELD-M Hornady and the 147 ELD-M Hornady shoot very well.
    I was really surpriesed with the accuracy of the 143 ELD-X (a good choice if you want a hunting round).
    The 130 ELD-M also surprised me with its accuracy.
    The Hornady American Whitetail 129 gr Interlok shot OK, but the groups were about 10% larger than the 143 ELD-X ammo.

I find the 140 Berger VLD Targets shoot better in my hand loads when I load them out further than in the factory ammo.
    I haven't tried any other factory ammo because my hand loads shoot so much more accurately.

For the .223:
    Federal Premium Gold Medal Match 69 grain Sierra SMKs shoot well in my 12 FV, slightly better than the Nosler or Norma match ammo.
    My shooting buddy also has a 12 FV .223 and his likes Nosler CC 69 gr match ammo slightly better than the Sierras.
    After years of measuring accuracy in multiple rifles, I am not surprised that individual barrels have preferences for particular ammos, bullets types, or bullet weights so I start with the premise that a new rifle will tell me what it likes regardless of what anyone else tells me.

Also I tried Federal Premium Gold Medal Match 77 SMKs and, although they aren't supposed to stabilize in a 1:9 twist, they shoot surprisingly well, just about the same as the 69 FPGGM SMKs.
    I also switched the factory stock to an Oryx chassis, primarily because I found it too hard to get my long O.A.L. heavy bullets into the hidden magazine on the factory 12 FV. The .223 didn't flex the stock like the 6.5mm but my old fingers just couldn't load the longer rounds easily.
    You won't have that problem with factory rounds because the O.A.L.s are just under SAAMI recommendations. That is about 0.1 inches or more shorter than the O.A.Ls that I am hand loading to achieve a jump of around 0.020 in my .223. But it has over 2000 rounds through the barrel and the chamber has eroded a bit.

My 12 FV .223 shoots better with heavy bullets than lighter ones.
    The Sierra 52 gr SMKs, Berger 52 FBs and 53 gr SMKs, which shoot best in my other 1:9 twist, don't shoot quite as accurately in my 12 FV as the heavier bullets.

IMO the cheap ammos just don't measure up to the good match ammos, even though they may be a lot cheaper.
    I am sort of an accuracy nut so, to me, the match ammos are worth the extra money.

Enjoy your 12 FVs. Mine are a joy to shoot and I marvel that rifles that cost so little shoot so well.

For the 6.5 Creed, my nod is for the Hornady 140 ELD-M.
    I was easily shooting half inch groups. I bought a 200 Rd.
    case from SG ammo several years ago. It gave me excellent
    results, and then had fire formed brass for further work. I did
    buy a second case last year, and initial tests were also the
    same as the first.....As for the .223 ?? what's your twist rate ??
    I mainly shoot IMI 77gr Razor Cores (Brown box Mil) and also
    from SG Ammo. I've shot some 1 inch groups at 300 yards with
    my RRA-EOP full bull, 8 twist.

Note.....Before using IMI, make sure your barrel is rated for 5.56
    Nato.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Basic Member
    Thank you everyone for your answers. Special thanks to CF Junkie, for his always detailed explanation. I too am astonished by how well the FV's shoot for the money (from what i hear). i havent shot mine yet though, gotta wait for the super sniper scopes to come in (hopefully). Figured I'd get the ammo, being the way the gun world is going, gotta get it while its avail., no tellin what will happen these days. Eventually, we might do something about stock change, like you have. Fuj, thank you, and yes, i like RRA, they can be accurate. lil heavy, but i guess that goes w/ it. I have experience w/ the RRA 20" Varmint. its very accurate for what it is, but weighs a ton. the 8 twist stainless wilson barrel is .920 at muzzle end. thanks everyone

Basic Member
    Hornaday 140 gr BLACK factory load is good enough that you'll be hard pressed to make a handload that shoots better out of your Savage. I've seen many guys at the range shooting that combination and it's hard to beat.

One suggestion when shooting with the factory stocks is to torque tune them and have a torque wrench with you at the range. The actions screws tend to loosen with use on the 12FV and will significantly alter the shooting characteristics if not kept correctly torqued.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester560 View Post
    Prime Ammo is about as good as it gets. They use Peterson brass and Berger bullets at very reasonable prices.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    To echo jester, I would give prime a look. I don’t have a 6.5, but bought some to shoot in my 6CM. Slightly cheaper than Hornady match and as stated, loaded in Peterson brass. I only have around 45 rounds down the tube, but plan to handload as I create more brass. Tried some of the Hornady as well and both are producing around .33 moa groups. Would give both a look.

My 12fv in .223 liked the Hornady black pretty well. Shot just under .5 moa with it, but now have a load worked up with 75gr ELDMs that is .25-.4 moa depending on how I’m shooting that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I have a 12fv, put a boyds AT one stock on it. For inexpensive factory rounds, it like the Hornady Frontier 55gr HPBT stated Muzzle of 3240. It will shoot better than I can, if I am having a good day, it will
    put 5 rounds at 100 yrds. all touching. I get mine at Sportsmans warehouse, 49.95+ tax for 150 rounds.

I also have the 10 BA Stealth in 6.5cm. There I have found the Hornady American Gunner 140gr, again, if I do my part, so far best group was 5 rounds at 100yds just over .5 .

For researching ammo, guns, reloading etc.., I really like AmmoSeek, it has saved me some money..

Good luck..oh yea I have a new 223 110 varmint in shipment to me..cant wait..I sure do like these savage rifles!

Basic Member
    The best ammo bar none was the Norma match it was reasonably in expensive. Extremely accurate for me under 1/2 moa. And about the same price for brass unloaded per round. When done you get fire formed Norma brass arguably one of the best brass manufactures in the world. Their gold line bullet also one of the best . You are talking about the experts in 6.5 .
    THEY INVENTED AND PERFECTED THE 6.5 . Their 130 grain bullet has a superior to all bc of .585 thats darn high for 130 gr. And if you don't reload you can sell the brass for a pretty penny.
    New brass goes for around a 1.21 a piece. PS Norma 223 goes for 6.00 a box and 6.5 creed for 26 a box . The 223 shoots great also. I bought norma ammo just to shoot and then reload. In three calibers. All great and mild prices 308 also. Many writers like Ron spooner and others recommend this ammo as well.

Basic Member
    When I use factory 223 ammo, I get good results from Hornady V-Max factory loads. The 50 round box of 55 gr V-Max is a good value and groups well in my rifles. The 53 gr Varmint Express load is good stuff too.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    Hornaday 140 gr BLACK factory load is good enough that you'll be hard pressed to make a handload that shoots better out of your Savage. I've seen many guys at the range shooting that combination and it's hard to beat.

One suggestion when shooting with the factory stocks is to torque tune them and have a torque wrench with you at the range. The actions screws tend to loosen with use on the 12FV and will significantly alter the shooting characteristics if not kept correctly torqued.
    Thank you for the tips. I have a torque wrench in foot pounds, but not inch pounds. I gather in lbs is what I need. You or anyone suggest a adequate model wrench, or link for one thats suffecient for the job? I will be keeping the factory stocks for at least a while. Ill look into that black box reccomendation, thanks

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bkjsdc09 View Post
    To echo jester, I would give prime a look. I don’t have a 6.5, but bought some to shoot in my 6CM. Slightly cheaper than Hornady match and as stated, loaded in Peterson brass. I only have around 45 rounds down the tube, but plan to handload as I create more brass. Tried some of the Hornady as well and both are producing around .33 moa groups. Would give both a look.

My 12fv in .223 liked the Hornady black pretty well. Shot just under .5 moa with it, but now have a load worked up with 75gr ELDMs that is .25-.4 moa depending on how I’m shooting that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you sir, that gives me something to go on for both rifles

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyerwy View Post
    I have a 12fv, put a boyds AT one stock on it. For inexpensive factory rounds, it like the Hornady Frontier 55gr HPBT stated Muzzle of 3240. It will shoot better than I can, if I am having a good day, it will
    put 5 rounds at 100 yrds. all touching. I get mine at Sportsmans warehouse, 49.95+ tax for 150 rounds.

I also have the 10 BA Stealth in 6.5cm. There I have found the Hornady American Gunner 140gr, again, if I do my part, so far best group was 5 rounds at 100yds just over .5 .

For researching ammo, guns, reloading etc.., I really like AmmoSeek, it has saved me some money..

Good luck..oh yea I have a new 223 110 varmint in shipment to me..cant wait..I sure do like these savage rifles!
    Yes, ammoseek is good. Thanks for metioning the place/price, for .35 a round sounds real good. I like your point, of not paying for something better than one can shoot

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdombuilder View Post
    The best ammo bar none was the Norma match it was reasonably in expensive. Extremely accurate for me under 1/2 moa. And about the same price for brass unloaded per round. When done you get fire formed Norma brass arguably one of the best brass manufactures in the world. Their gold line bullet also one of the best . You are talking about the experts in 6.5 .
    THEY INVENTED AND PERFECTED THE 6.5 . Their 130 grain bullet has a superior to all bc of .585 thats darn high for 130 gr. And if you don't reload you can sell the brass for a pretty penny.
    New brass goes for around a 1.21 a piece. PS Norma 223 goes for 6.00 a box and 6.5 creed for 26 a box . The 223 shoots great also. I bought norma ammo just to shoot and then reload. In three calibers. All great and mild prices 308 also. Many writers like Ron spooner and others recommend this ammo as well.
    Why thank you for being specific. Sounds like once I get these tuned in the best I can, the stuff you mentioned would be the next step. Also, glad you included the 308, as we got one of them also, but already have some fed match king 168 bthp, which seems everyone says works well in savages, it seems. - just waiting to get scopes now

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill2905 View Post
    When I use factory 223 ammo, I get good results from Hornady V-Max factory loads. The 50 round box of 55 gr V-Max is a good value and groups well in my rifles. The 53 gr Varmint Express load is good stuff too.
    Thank you, well this thread had given me everything and more I asked for. Give me some time, and I'll either be back w/ results or questions. proabally both :)

Basic Member
    Trying to put together an order. Having a problem figuring out what the black box you guys are referring to, or how many grains? What is the Hornady part number? I've seen black box #81499 and #81493. I couldnt search the Hornady site, as it wasnt working right.

Just to confirm, #81500, 81501, is the ELD-M, thats being referred to.

Also, being I'm breaking and sighting the new gun in, I'm thinking of running a couple boxes of cheaper stuff in it to start. I saw some Seller Bellot, (soft point and full metal jacket) Anyone see a problem or have an opinion w/ using this stuff ?

Team Savage

All 6.5 Creedmoor...

81500 is 140gr ELD-M Match Ammo
    81501 is 147gr ELD-M Match Ammo
    81499 is 143gr ELD-X Precision Hunter
    81493 is 140gr BTHP Black Ammo

Hornady Black in 6.5 Creedmoor is apparently an "Academy only exclusive" which probably is why it's not listed on Hornady's website (https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/black#!/). Mail order only if you live outside south, southeast, or midwest.

Basic Member
    Thank you for the info/explanation Phil