Thread: Any M10 Grendel shooters?

Any M10 Grendel shooters?

I just purchased a used Bartline 1:7.5 twist varmint 6.5 Grendel Prefit barrel, came with an PT&G complete bolt head, Accustock, and alloy bottom metal. I ordered a 7.62X39 magazine, and have NOS SSS Comp trigger, and Rayhill tactical style bolt with lift kit. I have a Stevens 200 .243 that'll be the donor.

I'm going to put it on a diet by cutting the barrel back to 16.5" and threading for my suppressor. Still it's going to be a fairly heavy little pig, so I might flute it as well. I'm interested in hearing from other Grendel shooters.

I guess my real question is are there any issues with feeding I'll need to address? I've heard some people can't get the last round to feed out of the X39 mags in their scouts. Or any potential issues I'm not thinking of? I plan on shooting Hornady Black 123 ELDM ammunition to start, and I might get into loading for it later on. Right now I really don't have the time to reload.

Thanks!

Been thinking about a bolt action Grendel build myself so look forward to any info from those who have already accomplished it.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    Been thinking about a bolt action Grendel build myself so look forward to any info from those who have already accomplished it.
    I'll let you know how it goes. I read some posts where it was done in the past on here. Hoping for some expertise, but I guess they may not be that active anymore. I know I'm not, I have less time it seems these days.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    I was also thinking of the same project. I was going to find a 7.62x39 chambered savage and do a barrel swap. I have also considered taking one of my .204 ruger rifles and doing the bolt, barrel and magazine swap...

Then when I was laid up for neck surgery last year in a period of less than optimal clarity I had purchased a ruger in the Grendel.

Now with that said, I am still contemplating the build route for fun and such.

Basic Member
    I put one together using a 223 12fv as the donor. Through my research I read the x39 mags did not feed reliably. I messed with the 308 mag for a bit but ended up using the stock detachable 223 mag and tweaked the lips a bit to slightly open them up. It only holds 3 rounds but feeds reliably and that’s what I want. There’s more info on the 6.5 Grendel forum. Below is the thread where I discussed what I did. Hope it’s helpful.

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...rendel-Options

Quote Originally Posted by s3silver View Post
    I put one together using a 223 12fv as the donor. Through my research I read the x39 mags did not feed reliably. I messed with the 308 mag for a bit but ended up using the stock detachable 223 mag and tweaked the lips a bit to slightly open them up. It only holds 3 rounds but feeds reliably and that’s what I want. There’s more info on the 6.5 Grendel forum. Below is the thread where I discussed what I did. Hope it’s helpful.

Good info, thanks!
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Quote Originally Posted by s3silver View Post

Good reading.

Basic Member
    I’m glad it was helpful. Good to know I’m not the only one grendelizing a Savage.

Just read through all of that. Thanks for the info, I guess I shouldn't have bought two 7.62X39 magazines.

The more I get into this I think I'm going to go a different direction.

Tag for interest