Thread: Stevens 311 - receiver rebuild - HELP

Question Stevens 311 - receiver rebuild - HELP

This is a classic, I know, so please go easy on me. I picked up a Stevens 311 20 gauge about 10 years ago off of Gun Broker. The thing was light striking the primers, so I got a set of replacement springs from Wolfe and some brand new firing pins from GunParts Corp.

Took it all apart and then spent hours trying to get it all back together..............even cut some wooden jigs to put in the vice..........to no avail....for the life of me I gave up! That was, well, 10 years ago. Ran into the zip-lock parts bag the other day cleaning up my "man cave".

Does anyone know of a gunsmith knowledgeable on these 311s that can put this thing back together for me? I'm told you need special jigs or tools to do it right.

Basic Member

311vebuild

Quote Originally Posted by petemacmahon View Post
    This is a classic, I know, so please go easy on me. I picked up a Stevens 311 20 gauge about 10 years ago off of Gun Broker. The thing was light striking the primers, so I got a set of replacement springs from Wolfe and some brand new firing pins from GunParts Corp.

Took it all apart and then spent hours trying to get it all back together..............even cut some wooden jigs to put in the vice..........to no avail....for the life of me I gave up! That was, well, 10 years ago. Ran into the zip-lock parts bag the other day cleaning up my "man cave".

Does anyone know of a gunsmith knowledgeable on these 311s that can put this thing back together for me? I'm told you need special jigs or tools to do it right.
    There is a video on youtube that shows how it is done."reassemble a 311" You can do it with a large pair of water pump pliers , and a slave pin , using a n "easy -out" of the smaller size.He made special tools ,but that is your.choice. Did you get new firing pin springs ? Other wise, the pins may not be held back far enough for the hammers to strike them.The firing pin locking screws serve as stops for the hammers When installed correctly , the pins should protrude past the locking screws , and have tension on them. Numrich arms has schematics on this gun. Should help you out There are gunsmiths who won't touch this gun.

Basic Member
    Go to " Gun tests " gives a word by word installations. A drill press would help ,if you have one, The springs are the worse I have seen.