Thread: Handicapped shooter needs help

Basic Member

Handicapped shooter needs help

Hi, my neck has been fused almost totally. I can only shoot sitting down as I have lost a significant amount of strength also I cannot achieve a good cheek weld as I can't tilt my head enough nor can I look up enoughto shoot prone. I shoot a Savage model 110L chambered in 30.06 and a MSR15 Recon, M1 Carbine, Marlin 336. I found a sight for the MSR15 that is high enough but cheek weld is still an issue.
    Anyone have any ideas? No one makes an adjustable stock that goes high enough.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Phreddie

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I use a Matthews Fabrication cheek rest. It might work for your 110, and if you need more lift, contact Matt directly, he might have more ideas since he can custom-fit to a wide variety of stocks.

Basic Member
    Thank you

Basic Member
    I've looked at Mathews Fabrication and I dont want to mess up the walnut stock on the gun it is a family heirloom. Thank you very much for the info.

Basic Member
    There are several companies that make comb risers. I had to do a lot of searching to find one for an old Enfield (one that wouldn't damage the sporterized stock).

Basic Member
    Had not thought about that
    Thank you!

I'm a bit crippled up to. I hunt sitting in an old steel lawn chair in a ground blind made of dead fall with a fairly sturdy limb for a rest. Have an old golf cart for travel. If I were you I'd look for a soft kicker. Not sure what cal the ar-15 is but the Mar 336 if in 30/30 or 35 Rem can be loaded down to very soft recoil. Not too hard to put a riser on the stock. Over on the MarlinOwners site is quite a bit of info on that. Today on that site in the 336 forum is a pic of a nice looking homemade stock riser. I love mouse fart cast loads in the 30/30 and 45/70. No kick, plenty lethal. Hunting in my ground blind, I always cover my face and hands, never ever used a scent killer, have had at least half a dozen deer within 2 feet nibbling on green limbs I stuck in my blind. Much fun. Think a bit outside the box.

Basic Member
    I have a solution to the cheek weld problem. A buddy works with leather making custom saddles. He said he has made combs for rifles before. The only gun throwing a loop in things is the AR. My buddy is making one for each of my other guns with ammo holders on them. Each one will hold enough ammo to fill the gun once.
    Thank you for your help. Now to figure out if its worth my time and money to buy a reloading press and the other stuff needed.

I put a blackhawk stock pack on my rem 700. Talk about lift and comfort which is what you need for like 25 bucks. You dont have to screw with an heirloom at all. It is held on by hook and loop straps and is rock solid. They seel it for an AR-15 style stock (Std Rifle) and it works on bolt guns as well .The cool part with the AR pack is it is notched for the operating handle and for running a bolt gun it works great. I actually have 3 or 4 and love them.Part#90CP09BK AR 15 Cheek Pad in Black is what is on the packaging. Barcode is 648018143250
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member
    Thank you, that's what I've done. Read your answer and jumped on the interwebs and ordered one for the Marlin 336. As for the gun that started all this the saddle maker friend of mine made one for the Savage 110 oh. Its beautiful. Color matches the stock and its carved like an old west holster. And it has loops for 10 rounds. I wish I knew how to put pics on here as I would love to show it off. Oh, it works awesomely.