Thread: Shooting ranges

Basic Member

Shooting ranges

This might not be the proper place to ask, but I looked over the forums and there really isn't a correct place. I see some of you mention going to a shooting range. About what does this cost? Do many of you that live in a city go to a range or do you know someone in the country where you can shoot?

Basic Member

I belong to a club in Dublin Gerorgia, 50 miles from where I live. There is no local range I can use. I also have a friend who is an avaid shooter and he built a 1000 yard range on his property in southwest Georgia that I shoot on. That entails a two hour drive. My club costs $100/yr for membership.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member

We Never go to a range.

We only have one with in 100 miles of home base.
    It cost $$ and is very crowded with the Jam-a-madick crowds
    We have a LOT of public ground with in 10 minutes, we have a portable bench and go as needed depending on wind direction.

Basic Member

Basic Member
    Where you are located makes the difference.

Out here in the less populated areas there are many more choices, many of them free.

The web site above is pretty good, but, does not list all the locations available. Public lands can be nice places to shoot....BUT...please do so responsibly. We have had too many places posted as no shooting because of people doing dumb things with firearms and leaving trash around (including old refrigerators and water heaters that they shoot up).

Two shooting spots on BLM land in my area (Tuolumne County, CA) have been closed recently due to being trashed, and people doing dumb stuff.

If you decide to shoot on public land, contact the office having jurisdiction and check for any restrictions. Where ever you go, be safe, and be sure to clean up any trash and collect you brass.

I belong to a private club, and I also have a couple of favorite places on USFS land in the Sierra where I can go if it's too hot at my club's range.
    --P

Basic Member
    Since you didn't indicate what part of the country you are located in, I guess you'll have to use the links that were provided already.
    As was mentioned, finding somewhere to shoot near population centers can be a real problem.

In Northern Virginia, where I have lived for 52 years, the growth in population has made finding an outdoor range nearby quite an effort.
    I live about 24 miles from the range I joined years ago.
    It is not expensive by local standards and the members are well trained, very friendly, and very cooperative.
    Family members are welcome as guests and I trained all of my grandchildren to shoot at our range.
    We also have exceptional junior programs in air rifle and air pistol, sport pistol, archery, and trap and skeet.
    The first shooting gold medal at the Rio Olympics was won by a young woman who was trained at our rifle and pistol range.

The housing boom has really encroached on the property and getting to the range in the commuter traffic in the morning for shooting before the wind really gets brisk has become a real PITA.
    The 30 minute morning drive to the range has become a 90 minute stop-and-go drive on weekday mornings.

I have tried other ranges in the area that are a bit further away, but found that many are 'uncontrolled', that is, with no range safety officer present during shooting hours.
    Since I am a NRA trained Range Safety Officer and have been volunteering at our range for about 10 years as an RSO, I feel very uncomfortable when I am at an uncontrolled range with no one looking out for range safety.
    The number of people who sweep an uncontrolled range with rifle and hand gun barrels when moving guns around just about drives me wild and the lack of discipline when people are down range attending to targets really bothers me too.
    If you say anything to try an help keep the range safe, you get treated like a freak, especially by people who are untrained in shooting disciplines.

I would suggest you consider the range safety conditions when you are choosing a range to shoot at.
    I like to know that someone is protecting my back when I am posting or checking targets or when I am concentrating on my shooting.
    When another RSO is controlling our range while I am shooting, I feel a whole lot more comfortable and it shows in my results.
    I hope they feel the same way when I am RSO and looking out for their safety.

Basic Member
    First, I just want toget the 100 yard figured out. I doubt I'll ever shoot over 300. I've got plenty of places to shoot now but it will be a little different after the crops are planted. I doubt I could go much over 100 yards after that. Biggest problem is the almost always present wind. Today is another windy one.