Thread: Question about ammo

Question about ammo

I just got my very first Savage Tactical 110 6.5 Creedmoor. When I removed it from the box and looked at all of the components that came with it, something stuck out about the PMAG 10. It said on it '7.62 X 51'. I was thinking my rifle only took 6.5 Creedmoor ammo. Is 7.62 X 51 an alternative ammo for this rifle? Thx!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rlharwood View Post
    I just got my very first Savage Tactical 110 6.5 Creedmoor. When I removed it from the box and looked at all of the components that came with it, something stuck out about the PMAG 10. It said on it '7.62 X 51'. I was thinking my rifle only took 6.5 Creedmoor ammo. Is 7.62 X 51 an alternative ammo for this rifle? Thx!
    What does it say on your barrel?

Sounds like you got the wrong mag. 7.62 x 51 (aka .308) is not even close to 6.5 Creedmoor.

The barrel says '6.5 Creedmoor'. So it looks like I will need to find some establishment local that could take a last look st it and make some kind of trade.

Basic Member
    The parent case to the 6.5CM is the 308Win/7.62x51. There is not a dedicated 6.5CM magazine. Pmag does not stamp every caliber that will work on the magazines, only the parent case.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rlharwood View Post
    6.5 cm uses same magazine as 308. 6.5cm is based on 308 TC, 308 TC based on 308 win. Virtually Identical case dimensions. At least in AR10 world you use 7.62x51 magazine for 6.5 cm

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

That is great news! I had a feeling this is a very good forum! And it is! I learned something today! Thx!!

Basic Member
    It's the right mag. The ".308" PMAG will hold .308/7.62 X 51, .243, 6.5 Creed, and a lot of others with the same width case.

Parent case for the 6.5 Creedmoor is .30 TC.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Parent case for the 6.5 Creedmoor is .30 TC.
    This is exactly right. The 30 TC was the parent to the 6.5 Creedmoor. The 30 TC is just a 308 that has been shortened a bit though. As far as the magazine is concerned they are all the same, because the body diameter is the same of the cartridge.

Basic Member
    I believe that the reason Hornady chose the .30TC (1.910 case length) for the parent case of the the 6.5mm CM was that they had plans to use it in an AR 10 frame.
    The 6.5mm bullets are much longer than the .30 cal bullets and would have to be seated back further into necked down .308 case at 2.005 case length and SAAMI recommended 2.800 O.A.L. for a .308 - (7.63x51) to fit in an AR-10 mag.
    The 30 TC case would give about 0.095 more space for the longer .264 bullet to be seated out of the magazine when loaded to the SAAMI recommmended2.810 O.A.L. for the 6.5mm CM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CFJunkie View Post
    I believe that the reason Hornady chose the .30TC (1.910 case length) for the parent case of the the 6.5mm CM was that they had plans to use it in an AR 10 frame.
    The 6.5mm bullets are much longer than the .30 cal bullets and would have to be seated back further into necked down .308 case at 2.005 case length and SAAMI recommended 2.800 O.A.L. for a .308 - (7.63x51) to fit in an AR-10 mag.
    The 30 TC case would give about 0.095 more space for the longer .264 bullet to be seated out of the magazine when loaded to the SAAMI recommmended2.810 O.A.L. for the 6.5mm CM.
    That my AR10 6.5 creedmoor I built, 1st time out with 1st load I tried just to get the gas block tuned. I'm guessing 1/2 moa there and betting it can get tighter. I have some berger that I'm going to load up going above and below that load weight in 1/10ths to see if it will get tighter. And before anybody freaks out lol I removed the Carrier when I let my daughter hold it like that :)

Basic Member
    Great rifle, tight group and beautiful daughter - how can it get any better than that.

Basic Member
    Great rifle, tight group and beautiful daughter - how can it get any better than that.
    Amen to that, I'm a blessed man.. thank you for the compliments

Basic Member
    Shes so anxious to shoot my big rifles, I've been teaching her with my .22 old henry and she can stay on the paper at 50 yards.. and yes, I never let her have sole control of the firearm yet:)

I built my Creedmoor on an old long action that was originally 25-06 and the Creedmoor rounds feed fine from the long mag box.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    My 6.5mm CM AICS mags are all marked .308 (or 7.62x51). They work great in my 6.5mm CM bolt action.
    You don't have anything to worry about with a .308 mag. That is the normal mag for a 6.5mm CM.

The only issue I have found is getting mags that leave enough space to load the 6.5mm rounds out long enough to minimize the jump.
    The plastic mags have thicker front lips and limit the O.A.L. a bit more than the metal mags.
    My MDT mags only let me load out to 2.895 or so.
    I have two bullet types that are most accurate when loaded at over 2.910 so I have to feed those longer rounds one at a time since they won't fit in the mag.
    My AICS mags feed the single rounds fine if I just rest them on the feed lips.

I noticed that this thread is actually 3 years old, so the original poster may not be around to see your question. But hey, maybe someone else will find it helpful. The 7.62x51 is actually a different caliber than the 6.5 Creedmoor. It's important to make sure you're using the right ammo for your rifle to avoid any potential safety issues. But don't worry, you can still find plenty of good ammo options for your 6.5 Creedmoor. Personally, I've had some luck with Federal XM193 5.56x45mm 55 GR FMJ 500 Rounds, but of course, it's always best to do your own research and find what works best for you and your rifle.

Banned

Basic Member
    Look to yourself first.
    And maybe Dave should read the dates on the last posts before playing with flaming bomb emojis.
    The entire thread (16 posts) up until SemeSharma's post #17 covered a total of 3 days Feb 28 to March 2 in 2020.
    SemiSharma's complaining post about an old thread was the one that was 3 years old.
    When you find an old post - it doesn't mean the last post was yesterday.
    Duh - The original poster and all the other posters were current. The commenter wes the one who was out to lunch.
    Cheap shot, SemiSharma and Dave, I think you may have gotten sucked in.

Banned
    Look to yourself first.
    And maybe Dave should read the dates on the last posts before playing with flaming bomb emojis.
    The entire thread (16 posts) up until SemeSharma's post #17 covered a total of 3 days Feb 28 to March 2 in 2020.
    SemiSharma's complaining post about an old thread was the one that was 3 years old.
    When you find an old post - it doesn't mean the last post was yesterday.
    Duh - The original poster and all the other posters were current. The commenter wes the one who was out to lunch.
    Cheap shot, SemiSharma and Dave, I think you may have gotten sucked in.

CFJunkie, I wasn’t sucked into ANYTHING, LOL! I always read the dates of posts. Because I ALWAYS read the entire thread from the beginning. My response was to the new guy, SemiSharma. As in “Attention! This is very old and likely already long resolved.” So yeah… you were quite mistaken on that one.. but that’s ok.

Team Savage

On my radar...

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    I built my Creedmoor on an old long action that was originally 25-06 and the Creedmoor rounds feed fine from the long mag box.
    Me too. My first CM build was on a long action, blind magazine 30-06 and I was surprised at how well the rounds fed....still am.