Thread: Trigger

Basic Member

Trigger

I got my tool to adjust the trigger yesterday and found that it was already set to the lightest pull. I admit I don't have the most sophisticated measuring instrument but I think it is set about 2 3/4# It is definitely a lot tighter than a rifle of another brand that has an adjustable trigger. I thought they were supposed to go down to 1 1/2#. Am I mistaken?

I have to give Savage credit, they got it here a lot faster than they told me. I figured it would be another week and was happy to see it arrived yesterday. I think I will head to the farm tomorrow and try it out with some handloads.

Basic Member
    Cut some of the coils off the spring on the rear,it’ll get the trigger pull lbs down,do a little at a time

Banned
    Search & read some of our many, MANY threads on triggers. Only the Target Actions have the 1.5lb trigger. You can purchase the Target trigger spring, but it likely will still not “feel” as your minds eye is thinking.

Several of us here have explained what is involved in what is thought to be a remarkable trigger. I’ve explained how the number on those little measuring devices can be misleading.

There simply is no free lunch. And a $4 spring ain’t gonna do it! For an amazing trigger, simply stone the trigger & sear surfaces to perfect parallel, shim & re-spring.....OR, if you aren’t an experienced gunsmith, buy one of aftermarket jeebles.

Team Savage

Each of the 3 versions of the Accutrigger (standard, varmint/LEO, target) and lightest pull weights can be found in this FAQ topic - Factory AccuTrigger Part Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    Each of the 3 versions of the Accutrigger (standard, varmint/LEO, target) and lightest pull weights can be found in this FAQ topic - Factory AccuTrigger Part Numbers
    I am wondering what all the fuss is about the Accutrigger. I just cleaned a Savage 110E internal mag .270. It has the older style trigger. It was light and smooth as butter even before I cleaned it! I am wondering why Savage would change a trigger that is so sweet. Was is just because the trigger is a pain to put back together? I am new to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by 000Robert View Post
    I am wondering what all the fuss is about the Accutrigger. I just cleaned a Savage 110E internal mag .270. It has the older style trigger. It was light and smooth as butter even before I cleaned it! I am wondering why Savage would change a trigger that is so sweet. Was is just because the trigger is a pain to put back together? I am new to the forum.
    Safety. The Accutrigger name has nothing to do with Accuracy.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    Precisely! Safe action triggers have been standard on many pistols for decades! Savage was the first bolt gun to follow suit. More are starting to do it as well. Simply a safety margin. But I wouldn’t necessarily say anyone if really making a “big deal” about them. Quite frankly I say most people can’t wait to replace it!

”Some” of us, like myself, do prefer the Accutrigger and the faint similarity it has to a 2-stage trigger. (Closest we can get to one on our Savage Actions anyway)

once you depress the safety blade it is nothing more than a old Savage trigger with a coil spring upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Safety. The Accutrigger name has nothing to do with Accuracy.
    It seems like the accutrigger is a big deal because just about every manual that I could find for the 110E was with the Accutrigger, Accutrigger...
    Maybe this one is an older Accutrigger? But I don't see how they could think that is not safe because it looks like it's built like a tank! It is rock solid and locks the trigger very well.

I had to take the trigger assembly back apart tonight because I put the sear spring in upside down last time. I also had to fit a new sear spring bushing because the original disappeared into the ether and I have not found it yet.

I don't know how to upload a photo. I didn't know that a photo had a URL. Anyway, it is a 1985 Savage 110E with internal mag.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 000Robert View Post
    It seems like the accutrigger is a big deal because just about every manual that I could find for the 110E was with the Accutrigger, Accutrigger...
    Maybe this one is an older Accutrigger? But I don't see how they could think that is not safe because it looks like it's built like a tank! It is rock solid and locks the trigger very well.

I had to take the trigger assembly back apart tonight because I put the sear spring in upside down last time. I also had to fit a new sear spring bushing because the original disappeared into the ether and I have not found it yet.

I don't know how to upload a photo. I didn't know that a photo had a URL. Anyway, it is a 1985 Savage 110E with internal mag.

You have a standard Savage single stage trigger. The Accutrigger was not created until 2002. Has nothing to do with anyone thinking the original design was “unsave”. For all intent & purpose, it was a marketing gimmick...as most things are! It was also a way to have a the Varmint version at 1.5lbs, Target version @ 6oz & still keep the lawyers happy!

Although, the Accutrigger DOES provide an actual safety aspect when set very light. We all know & have seen bolt guns that could have the sear tripped from banging the butt of the rifle, or good hard racking the bolt home. With a traditional rifle, this will send the firing pin to its destination. In the Accutrigger’s case, a round CAN NOT be fired unless the safety blade is depressed. Even INTENTIONALLY pulling the side of the trigger, but not the safety blade, will NOT release the firing pin. As I said, some like it...most(shooters) do not.

Even INTENTIONALLY pulling the side of the trigger, but not the safety blade, will NOT release the firing pin. As I said, some like it...most(shooters) do not.[/QUOTE]

Oh, ok. Like the Glock safe action trigger. I love my Glock! Thanks Dave, I appreciate the info! I checked this trigger over good and I don't see any way that it could fire unless something other than the trigger causes it to fire. I would hurt my finger or break the trigger before it would slip past the sear.
    It is also a side release. I looked at the accutrigger in a manual and I would trust this standard single stage more. But that may change when I get a rifle with the Accutrigger in my hands.
    I also figured a way to get the trigger assembly back together easily. From now on it will be a snap!
    You probably already know it but the AGI armorers course for the Savage 110 only shows the Accutrigger. I was pretty upset about that but I got it done anyway.

Accutrigger

Standard savage trigger from back in the day.

I think that I saw that photo of the accutrigger in the FAQ section. It looks like it would be a lot easier to work with than the standard. But I will withhold my judgement of it till I actually study it hands-on.
    Last edited by 000Robert; 02-28-2020 at 10:34 PM. Reason: better wording