Thread: 300 PRC - Show me yours

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

300 PRC - Show me yours

I am thinking of a single shot 300 PRC on a savage action.

I don't need a repeater and I am happy with a single shot. use mostly to punch paper and Elk hunt 1 a year.

Initially I plan to shoot the Hornady factory ammo and maybe someday reload.

I have an old 300 win mag and a new 300 win mag in LRH, for choice of actions.

I have large shank LRP but I don't think I have the correct bolt face for them. I am trying to keep cost to min.

decisions decisions
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member
    Single-shot for a hunting rifle wouldn't be a sound choice IMO.

Why the .300 PRC? Gonna punch you harder than the WMs, and unless you're shooting target at ELR ranges it's not gonna do anything different than what you currently have.
    Yeah, it has a niche I suppose. If I wanted .300 WM performance without the belt, it would be my choice. Beyond that, not much difference to talk about for most applications.

Quote Originally Posted by tobnpr View Post
    Single-shot for a hunting rifle wouldn't be a sound choice IMO.

Why the .300 PRC? Gonna punch you harder than the WMs, and unless you're shooting target at ELR ranges it's not gonna do anything different than what you currently have.
    Yeah, it has a niche I suppose. If I wanted .300 WM performance without the belt, it would be my choice. Beyond that, not much difference to talk about for most applications.
    25 grains of powder may make a slight difference in velocity.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    25 grains of powder may make a slight difference in velocity.
    Wasn't my point.
    The .300 PRC was designed as an ELR round (including two-legged targets); as I said in the post unless he's shooting ELR ranges (no indication he is) I see it as less practical than what he has. He'll never see a difference inside 500-600 yards in performance, so why change (especially to a single-load rifle).

JMO. YMMV.

Basic Member
    Inside 5 or 6 hundred yards he wouldnt need the Win Mag either for that matter.
    I think you would find that a lot of guns used for long range are single feed, including those used for hunting.

Good points gentlemen, I agree, 300 WM is more than adequate.

This is more a want than a need, I am kinda bored and I like factory loaded ammo that my home state Hornady produces for 300 PRC

I trust a single feed more than a magazine, cuz it is all on me to load a new round.

I opted for single feed due the OAL issue, I really don't want to guy a 338 Lapua action and mag, unless a 338 action and mag drops from the sky on to my lap, I will stick with action from my stash.

500 Yards, I picked the # as I have access to 500 yard range ONLY and my ELK hunts might be a 500 yard - ish shot,

ELR - I don't have any access in Michigan to even remotely test the ELR capability past 500 yards, but I do plan to take a few weeks out west (shout out to you SOCAL guys around IE)

Barrel - without selling one of my kidneys, which barrel should I go for? I peeked at x-caliber and the price is good but I have NO clue as to the reamer he will use, should I email him and find out details of his 300 PRC reamer?

Contour - 26" bull is what i am thinking, heavy (but ain't my brother ;-)) but I can set it back if the throat get longer

Stock = MDT LSS
    Action = A long action, I need to test extraction with a dummy round
    Barrel =
    newbie from gr, mi.