Thread: What do you think about the A22?

Basic Member

What do you think about the A22?

Been thinking about picking up a semi-auto 22LR rifle. The current $50 Savage rebate is tempting. For you A22 owners, what do you think of yours? What are the pros and cons in your view?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill2905 View Post
    Been thinking about picking up a semi-auto 22LR rifle. The current $50 Savage rebate is tempting. For you A22 owners, what do you think of yours? What are the pros and cons in your view?
    I just bought the A17. Haven't fired it yet, since it's my first rifle, I'm gathering together all the things needed to clean it, break it in, etc. But I did a lot of research and expect this to be a satisfying rifle after I bed it into a Boyd's varmint stock. Check out Cavedweller's youtube videos.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill2905 View Post
    I purchased the A22 to use in precision tactical matches. Compared to my Mark II BV, which I use in prone matches, there are differences. The A22 has a accutrigger but I couldn't get it lower than 4lbs (mark II 2.5 lbs) The trigger is gritty and I could actually hear it in the poly stock (Mark II smooth as glass). The real question is how does it perform.out to 125 yards? Both rifles have the Nikon Pro Staff 3-9 X40 scope. At 50 yards the MARK II shoots 1/2" groups - all in the X. The A22 will shoot 1" groups - all in the 10 ring. 1' groups works for the precision tactical matches. Additionally, I mounted the A22 on the Boyd AT One stock. The magazine is a problem for me personally to load. The Ruger 10/22 magazine is a lot easier and a auto loader is available.

Would I buy another A22? For the price I paid for it and the use I put it to - probably. It easily shoots as good as or better than the Ruger 10/22. The Ruger has more mods available..

Quote Originally Posted by Don G View Post
    I purchased the A22 to use in precision tactical matches. Compared to my Mark II BV, which I use in prone matches, there are differences. The A22 has a accutrigger but I couldn't get it lower than 4lbs (mark II 2.5 lbs) The trigger is gritty and I could actually hear it in the poly stock (Mark II smooth as glass). The real question is how does it perform.out to 125 yards? Both rifles have the Nikon Pro Staff 3-9 X40 scope. At 50 yards the MARK II shoots 1/2" groups - all in the X. The A22 will shoot 1" groups - all in the 10 ring. 1' groups works for the precision tactical matches. Additionally, I mounted the A22 on the Boyd AT One stock. The magazine is a problem for me personally to load. The Ruger 10/22 magazine is a lot easier and a auto loader is available.

Would I buy another A22? For the price I paid for it and the use I put it to - probably. It easily shoots as good as or better than the Ruger 10/22. The Ruger has more mods available..

Darn, Don, you're confusing me. Ya say the Savage easily shoots as good as or better han the Ruger. But up above there, it seems like the Ruger was doing better for you, especially in the area of accuracy.

I read that Savage recently increased the minimum trigger pull because of "bump stop" unintentional double discharges when the pull was set to the lowest. I'm going to put one of the JARDs in it eventually. I just got it, it's going to be a slow process where I learn and take my time. My first rifle and I want to see what all I can do to improve accuracy. The .17 HMR is a good caliber for me here, and it seems like a nice round for some target practice.

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=river251;470068]Darn, Don, you're confusing me. Ya say the Savage easily shoots as good as or better han the Ruger. But up above there, it seems like the Ruger was doing better for you, especially in the area of accuracy.

I think I see the confusion. The prone rifle I'm talking is a SAVAGE Mark II BV I should have included the word SAVAGE. The Ruger Mark II is a pistol. I considered the JARD but it's a lot of money to put into a rifle that costs what the A22 does.