Thread: To keep or not to keep, that is the question

Basic Member

To keep or not to keep, that is the question

Ok guys I need your professional opinions. I have a savage 110 stagger feed 308 with varmint barrel, small shank in a brand new B&C varmint/target stock(due to warranty work). It’s a good looking rifle. I really like it. My problem is that I bought a 12 LRP large shank in 6.5cm with the hs precision target stock. It should offer better accuracy due to stiffer action and lighter target trigger. The down side is the large shank so buying take off barrels to play with is limited.
    My question is, is it worth keeping the 308 staggerfeed especially since it doesn’t have a dbm which I like having a dbm? I know I can buy after market bottom metal but that is $$. Would it be better to sell it/part it out and use the money on my other rifle? The responsible part of me wants to sell it for the money, but I love my guns so the other part of me wants you guys to convince me that it’s not worth selling and to keep it. Anyone else been there?

Basic Member
    Depends, do you see yourself shooting both? Or do you like to keep guns even if you don't shoot them much? That would answer a lot for me. Also depends on your finances. If you don't need to sell it then why not wait until you get the LRP tuned in? The larger gun and platform may not be your thing. I know in the end this is as individual as picking paint colors for a house. Perhaps you are just looking for some different perspectives!!

Basic Member
    I have several guns that I don’t shoot much and still sit in my safe. I could see it becoming one of my main hunting rifles, but I’d have to do something about the magazine. I don’t know if it’s worth inletting the B&C for bottom metal or sell and start with another rifle. I don’t leave these decisions to the wife either otherwise I’d have nothing. Lol

Basic Member
    My opinion is the inletting isn't worth it. Sell that one and find another one that already has the inletting done. And you're right about wives. That's why I try to keep gun money as gun money. If I sell a gun or stock or scope, that money stays as gun money.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan gravitt View Post
    My opinion is the inletting isn't worth it. Sell that one and find another one that already has the inletting done. And you're right about wives. That's why I try to keep gun money as gun money. If I sell a gun or stock or scope, that money stays as gun money.
    Amen to that!
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    Simple.
    Never sell a firearm unless you need the coin for something else...

You can probably see yourself needing something else in the future, maybe hunting related, maybe lighter, maybe something for long range (though 6.5 Creed is no slouch there).

Basic Member
    I always need something else I’m thinking I will end up selling it for now, will help fund my chassis desire for the lrp. Plus I’m going to flight school in a couple months so it never hurts to have extra cash. I just hate selling guns. It’s like selling a kid or something (or so I’d imagine as I’ve never sold my kid)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramstud41 View Post
    I always need something else I’m thinking I will end up selling it for now, will help fund my chassis desire for the lrp. Plus I’m going to flight school in a couple months so it never hurts to have extra cash. I just hate selling guns. It’s like selling a kid or something (or so I’d imagine as I’ve never sold my kid)
    What is it about the HS Precision stock you don't like, and what would you replace it with?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
    What is it about the HS Precision stock you don't like, and what would you replace it with?
    I’m not a fan of the way the grip is. I’m an ar 15 guy so the pistol grip feels good to me. I also like easy to change magazines instead of the stock dbm. I ended up buying a mdt ess chassis for a good price on gunbroker. Just have to add the butt stock and hand guard to it as money allows. The hanging precision is a really nice stock, it’s just not my style and I don’t feel comfortable when shooting it. Just a personal preference I guess

Basic Member
    Easy decision for me, a good .308 is like a good 30-06, everyone should own at least one.

I have a 110 in 30-06, Sporter stock, Sporter barrel. The thing shoots great on factory Federal ammo, I don't have a specific need for it, but it isn't going anywhere either.

Basic Member
    I’m not a fan of the way the grip is. I’m an ar 15 guy so the pistol grip feels good to me. I also like easy to change magazines instead of the stock dbm. I ended up buying a mdt ess chassis for a good price on gunbroker. Just have to add the butt stock and hand guard to it as money allows. The hanging precision is a really nice stock, it’s just not my style and I don’t feel comfortable when shooting it. Just a personal preference I guess
    I would keep both rifles, sell the stock off the stagger feed, put it in an oryx chassis, and boom! Now you have a dbm, ar style grip, and two rifles. Just finished a 6Cm build off a staggerfeed and went with the oryx, even though I'm not a chassis rifle kind of guy. Super happy with how it came out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bkjsdc09 View Post
    I would keep both rifles, sell the stock off the stagger feed, put it in an oryx chassis, and boom! Now you have a dbm, ar style grip, and two rifles. Just finished a 6Cm build off a staggerfeed and went with the oryx, even though I'm not a chassis rifle kind of guy. Super happy with how it came out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Now that’s something to think about. I didn’t realize the oryx could be bought with stagger feed spacing. That seems like a great way to go. Definitely going to look at it when I get back to the States next week

Basic Member
    Now that’s something to think about. I didn’t realize the oryx could be bought with stagger feed spacing. That seems like a great way to go. Definitely going to look at it when I get back to the States next week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Is that something that would be practical for hunting, or more for bench? I have my lrp for target shooting but it’s a heavy gun so wouldn’t want to tote it much

Basic Member
    Is that something that would be practical for hunting, or more for bench? I have my lrp for target shooting but it’s a heavy gun so wouldn’t want to tote it much
    If you were hunting a box stand, maybe. My rifle, unloaded, is 15 lbs. that’s with a criterion 26” MTU contour barrel. I mainly built it with the intention of using it for 600 yd prone matches. I may lug it in a box stand for my little boy to use for deer because there’s very little recoil, especially with my brake on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To keep or not to keep, that is the question

Here’s my 110 flat back in a MDT LSS.