Thread: 7mm-08 ammo

Basic Member

7mm-08 ammo

Hello all, so I updated my other post about Savage service.

I have a model 11 in 7mm-08 that was not grouping well at all. I mean 3 to 6 ince groups at 100yrds. I got the rifle back from the factory and took it to the range yesterday. I was shooting 140gr Winchester ballistic Silvertips as that is what they use at the factory I got a four shot group of about.75
    My question is, anyone who has had the same issues. Does the rifle only like Winchester or does it only like Nosler bullets?
    I want to hunt Black Bear and would like a little better bullet than a ballistic tip. Not that I have a lot of experience with ballistic tips. I did down load some 125gr in 30-06 for reduced recoil and my Son took a couple Whitetail with that load. I didn't see the deer, so I have no idea how they performed. I don't particularly care for reloading bottle neck cartridges so I'm hoping to use off the shelf ammo.

Any input?

Thanks Jeff

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wvmedic View Post
    Hello all, so I updated my other post about Savage service.

I have a model 11 in 7mm-08 that was not grouping well at all. I mean 3 to 6 ince groups at 100yrds. I got the rifle back from the factory and took it to the range yesterday. I was shooting 140gr Winchester ballistic Silvertips as that is what they use at the factory I got a four shot group of about.75
    My question is, anyone who has had the same issues. Does the rifle only like Winchester or does it only like Nosler bullets?
    I want to hunt Black Bear and would like a little better bullet than a ballistic tip. Not that I have a lot of experience with ballistic tips. I did down load some 125gr in 30-06 for reduced recoil and my Son took a couple Whitetail with that load. I didn't see the deer, so I have no idea how they performed. I don't particularly care for reloading bottle neck cartridges so I'm hoping to use off the shelf ammo.

Any input?

Thanks Jeff
    All you can really do if you dont want to go through load development is to by small boxes of different kinds and see if one will work for you

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Feasel View Post
    All you can really do if you dont want to go through load development is to by small boxes of different kinds and see if one will work for you

Ted unfortunately that is what I was thinking. A couple more boxes of ammo to find out what it will shoot and I could have just bought another rifle and thrown this one away. I was hoping someone else had worked through this issue and would shed some light.

Thank you, Jeff

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wvmedic View Post
    Ted unfortunately that is what I was thinking. A couple more boxes of ammo to find out what it will shoot and I could have just bought another rifle and thrown this one away. I was hoping someone else had worked through this issue and would shed some light.

Thank you, Jeff
    Unfortunately even if someone has, rifles are kinda like snow flakes in a sense.. you can have 2 identical rifles that both will like different ammo. I've been reading about a newer method being tested for working up loads, it's based on the exit time of your pill. You may google around for reloading by exit node and if you can understand what they are talking about(I kinda understand the process) but you may be able to use it to find a ammo that has a specific velocity that will be good in your rifle.. I dont see why a person couldnt find a factory load using the principals of exit nodes.. just a though that may help you narrow down choices

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Feasel View Post
    Unfortunately even if someone has, rifles are kinda like snow flakes in a sense.. you can have 2 identical rifles that both will like different ammo. I've been reading about a newer method being tested for working up loads, it's based on the exit time of your pill. You may google around for reloading by exit node and if you can understand what they are talking about(I kinda understand the process) but you may be able to use it to find a ammo that has a specific velocity that will be good in your rifle.. I dont see why a person couldnt find a factory load using the principals of exit nodes.. just a though that may help you narrow down choices

Thank you for the tip Ted, I will look into that.

Basic Member
    What is the twist rate of your rifle? I have one of the earlier slow twist barrels and it likes shorter bullets. I get great results with the Nosler 120 grain BTip and 139 Hornady sp. 140 grain bullets are on the edge for the slow twist. Try a box of 139 Hornady soft points in the American Whitetail line.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LHitchcox View Post
    What is the twist rate of your rifle? I have one of the earlier slow twist barrels and it likes shorter bullets. I get great results with the Nosler 120 grain BTip and 139 Hornady sp. 140 grain bullets are on the edge for the slow twist. Try a box of 139 Hornady soft points in the American Whitetail line.

1-9.5 it absolutely will not shoot Hornady

Jeff

Team Savage
    Jeff,

Grab yourself a box of the barnes ttsx bullets.. I have had fantastic luck with them.

Basic Member
    Thank you bc160

Basic Member
    No shortcut to trying 'em.
    Every barrel is different- because of unique harmonics no way to know what it'll like, or not, or how "finicky" it will be.
    That's the cool thing about barrels, and is why there's always been (and will be) spirited discussion among riflesmiths and shooters.

I would certainly include Barnes VOR-TX for loaded ammunition.

Someday someone smart will package hunting ammo of different weights/manufacturers together in smaller quantities so those that shoot commercial ammo can find out what works without needing to buy boxes of 20 only to find out they won't shoot...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tobnpr View Post
    No shortcut to trying 'em.
    Every barrel is different- because of unique harmonics no way to know what it'll like, or not, or how "finicky" it will be.
    That's the cool thing about barrels, and is why there's always been (and will be) spirited discussion among riflesmiths and shooters.

I would certainly include Barnes VOR-TX for loaded ammunition.

Someday someone smart will package hunting ammo of different weights/manufacturers together in smaller quantities so those that shoot commercial ammo can find out what works without needing to buy boxes of 20 only to find out they won't shoot...
    I would like to see that. It shots the Silvertips great, so I will see how they perform. I spoke to a Maine Black Bear guide today and he said the ballistic tips have worked very well in his camp and would recommend them.

Jeff

Team Savage
    Jeff,
    Not sure where you call home but if somewhere in Utah I would be happy to load a few different rounds for you to try out. I'm in central Utah area

Basic Member
    I have a model 11 7mm-08 that shot nice groups for me, until I let it set for several years without shooting it. Only gave it an annual oiling. Next time I shot it, the groups were similar to yours, if not worse. After trying new ammo, etc. I epoxy bedded the action. It's been great since.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

Banned
    From reading post here and other forums a lot of people say they had grest success with federal fusion ammo

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bc160 View Post
    Jeff,
    Not sure where you call home but if somewhere in Utah I would be happy to load a few different rounds for you to try out. I'm in central Utah area
    bc160, that is a very generous offer, thank you. I'm in West Virginia though.

Jeff

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ltcg View Post
    I have a model 11 7mm-08 that shot nice groups for me, until I let it set for several years without shooting it. Only gave it an annual oiling. Next time I shot it, the groups were similar to yours, if not worse. After trying new ammo, etc. I epoxy bedded the action. It's been great since.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk
    Itch, I have considered that as an option or going with another stock completely.

Jeff

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Minooka View Post
    From reading post here and other forums a lot of people say they had grest success with federal fusion ammo
    Minooka, it did shoot the 120gr fusion decent, 1.5 inch roughly. Would absolutely be minute of deer. But that is off of a rest on the bench. I worry about that opening up in real world hunting situations, I almost never take an off hand shot, but even resting against a tree or a shooting stick that is going to open up. Under 100 yards that night not be a big deal, but if a 200 plus yard shot presented itself, I'm not sure that I would have the confidence in the rifle to make that shot.

Jeff

Basic Member
    Living in WV there shouldnt be any problems finding 200 plus yard rocks to practice on.
    As for bullets, if they shoot well use them, the bear wont mind what you use.
    You will find that all serious long range hunters use match grade bullets for hunting and they work just fine.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Living in WV there shouldnt be any problems finding 200 plus yard rocks to practice on.
    As for bullets, if they shoot well use them, the bear wont mind what you use.
    You will find that all serious long range hunters use match grade bullets for hunting and they work just fine.
    yobuck I agree, I'm just going to have to take it out and try.

Jeff

Basic Member
    Those would work for bear, but I’d try your first choice bullet through it and see what it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk