Thread: 243 progress and more questions

Basic Member

243 progress and more questions

I just got back from shooting the 243. I have made progress but I think I can do better. My 2 best groups were approximately .7 MOA and .8333 MOA. Not too bad but nothing to brag about. I used the 75 grain Speer .025 off the lands with 45 grains of IMR 4350. Any suggestions for a different combination? Interestingly, I had 5 100 grain bullets I also shot and they were almost the same as far as the vertical placement, completely different than what happened with the 223 and 22-250, which both shot higher with the heavier bullets and the 22-250 was a lot higher.

I believe the trigger is still too heavy and I have it adjusted as low as it will go. When you trim the spring, do you snip it off with a side cutters or do you grind it off? I am a little leery of grinding because it might take the temper out of the spring. I suppose if you did it a little at a time and let it cool before the next time it might be OK but if I could snip it off it would be faster and easier. Any idea how much to cut? I know it is better to not get carried away and it may take several times before you get it right. Are their any videos on this site or youtube to guide me?

Also, I believe this rifle could be a little heavier. Everyone says the stock is flimsy and it is but I don't think it is really that bad. I would just like to add some weight to both the area under the barrel and also the butt end. I have seen videos of this done on youtube by adding either lead balls or ball bearings and then using some type of material such as epoxy. What would be a good epoxy or other material for this? One guy used Rockite and another used Glaze Coat in the videos I watched.

Thanks for any help.

I would like to add the Redfield Revolution is a darn nice scope for the price. Extremely clear and generous eye relief.

Basic Member
    I would like to add the Redfield Revolution is a darn nice scope for the price. Extremely clear and generous eye relief.
    YES IT IS!
    Try a Barnes ttsx in 80 gr.
    I get out standing groups out of my 6mm rem. Mauser 26" barrel.
    3600 fps.
    I also get very groups with Nosler Ballistic tips 55 gr going VERY fast. ( 4200 fps)

Basic Member
    Which gun do you have? If you don't have it already you can get the "brown" varmint spring to get down to ~1.5lbs. I do load for .243 but have a 8 twist barrel and only run 105-108 grain bullets. They all shoot sub 1/2" inch with a full case of H4350. My Axis .243 with a 9.25 twist shoots 95gr Fiocchi SST into sub 3/4"....it's my deer taker and I don't even bother to load for it.

Basic Member
    I didn't realize they made a 55 grain bullet for the 243. That is fast. The gun I have is probably the bottom of the barrel for a standard Savage. It is a model 10 with the plastic stock and the skinny barrel. It is really a light little thing and I believe it would shoot better, or better said it would allow ME to shoot better if it were 1/1/2 or 2# heavier. The trigger seems heavy to me although I have it adjusted as light as it will go. I didn't realize you could get a lighter spring. I assume you mean a spring from Savage. I thought I read on here they would not sell the springs separately. That would be a better option if available. I looked on youtube and one guy machines off a little of the part the bottom of the part the spring contacts that has the threaded portion for the adjustment, if you understand what I mean. That would probably be better than trimming the spring but I believe the best would be to get the varmint spring, if available.

I feel much better about this gun than I did a few days ago. I can't recall exactly but I think the best I ever did with it before was a little over 1.25 MOA. I have a feeling I can improve, both the gun and myself.

This is a heck of an enjoyable hobby.

Basic Member
    A sear is hard to get...but springs are easy: http://www.gunshack.com/savage-parts...able%20trigger

A possibly better question to ask is, is it an Accutrigger or not?
    And the all around better answer for your trigger woes would be a simple Timney replacement trigger.

Wolffe springs are inexpensive, and good quality. I'd go that route before snipping springs.

If you do decide to cut the spring, use sidecutters and only 1/4 coil at a time.
    If you can, use a small file to remove the sharp edges from where you cut.

Basic Member
    ^^^It is an Accutrigger. Where do I get a Wolffe spring? I checked with Savage and they will sell a spring but not directly, has to be a gun dealer. That would get pricey. The Gunshack website has them but by the time you pay shipping, handling and postage you've got $20 or so in a 10 cent item. I know people have to make money but stuff like this makes small things darn expensive. It might be worth it though, I don't have enough confidence in my ability to trust myself on a trigger job. $20 would be cheap against screwing it up and ending up buying a spring after a failed attempt.

Basic Member
    I had good luck with the 86 gr V-max in my stock Savage model 11 BGL in .243 (since sold), in fact my son took his first buck at 220 yds with that load.

I'd suggest buying the varmint spring (sometimes called a Target Spring) that will let you adjust down to 1.5 lbs, and torque tune your action screws per this article.
    https://www.accurateshooter.com/tech...torque-tuning/

If you want a lower trigger pull weight, you can buy an aftermarket trigger, or a used Target Accutrigger off the classifieds here and install in place of your stock trigger. It's a five minute job although I wouldn't recommend a Target trigger for hunting purposes, if that is what you intend to do.

PM sent.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.