Thread: Interested in communications with other .375 Ruger owners and Savage 110 owners in general

Interested in communications with other .375 Ruger owners and Savage 110 owners in general

I very recently picked up a Savage 110, my first Savage, in .375 Ruger for elk hunting here in Ontario. Likely to head out to BC to visit in-laws and find myself out in the woods.

Been shooting a .300 Win Mag since 1981 and I must say it is easier now that I weigh about 190 instead of then when I was in the 130 pound neighborhood.

Would appreciate feedback on experiences with muzzle brake and different bullet offerings.

Looking forward to chatting.

Dave

Team Savage
    Welcome aboard

Welcome to the savage family.
    Ackley was right all along

Welcome to the "Brotherhood of the Barrel Nut".
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Team Savage
    welcome

Basic Member
    I have a 116FCSS in 375 Ruger that I bought new in 2012. It did not come with a brake from the factory. Suffice to say it was way too light for that size cartridge without a brake. First shot severely gashed my eyebrow open (shooting from the bench). Partly my mistake, by having a scope with too short of eye relief. The rifle was super light so I added about 3lbs of lead in the stock and had a muzzle brake made/installed. Also added a scope with about 4" eye relief and all has been good every since. It's actually a very accurate rifle. Honest 1/2 moa or less at 100 yards which is pretty darned good for a medium bore and my mediocre skills.

First shot severely gashed my eyebrow open
    dammmmmit man!
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by efm77 View Post
    I have a 116FCSS in 375 Ruger that I bought new in 2012. It did not come with a brake from the factory. Suffice to say it was way too light for that size cartridge without a brake. First shot severely gashed my eyebrow open (shooting from the bench). Partly my mistake, by having a scope with too short of eye relief. The rifle was super light so I added about 3lbs of lead in the stock and had a muzzle brake made/installed. Also added a scope with about 4" eye relief and all has been good every since. It's actually a very accurate rifle. Honest 1/2 moa or less at 100 yards which is pretty darned good for a medium bore and my mediocre skills.
    Honest 1/2 moa 375 Ruger in a factory Savage. Wow. That’s a special one right there.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    Honest 1/2 moa 375 Ruger in a factory Savage. Wow. That’s a special one right there.
    Do I sense sarcasm? I know Savage's are inherently very accurate most of the time. But still I was pleasantly surprised that a 375 with factory ammo did that well without any tweaking.

Really appreciate the info, I'm generally cautious about eye relief when shooting from a bench, like to avoid 'Weaver Bite' as a buddy of mine called it. I got a few dings from my .300 Win Mag Ruger M77 in the early days. I have considered adding weight to the stock, but want to get a good feel for things first. Do quite a bit of walking up and down hills when hunting, so hauling 3 extra pounds all day will get measured against the hope that an adrenaline rush will help get me past the recoil. I put 5 shots out of the .300 to bag 2 moose a few years back, don't recall feeling any recoil when shooting, but did notice a tender spot when soaping my shoulder in shower the next day.

Thanks,
    Dave

Basic Member
    I understand wanting to be light. And with enough eye relief and a brake you'd probably be ok without the extra weight. I just preferred to do both. I'm not too sensitive to recoil but a 7lb 375 without a brake really gets your attention and I prefer a little extra heft to help absorb it.