Thread: New 110 Hog Hunter bolt has an Axis bolt?

New 110 Hog Hunter bolt has an Axis bolt?

Hi there,

Recently purchased a brand new Savage 110 Hog hunter(November 2019), first bolt action rifle and its great. I was in the process of replacing the bolt handle with a bigger tactical bolt handle which works great.

However i took apart the bolt just to inspect and understand how it works. As i understand there are 2 bolt styles, the 110 action and the axis action style. From what i can tell and with the pictures attached it seems like this is a axis bolt while i believe the 110 hog hunter should be a 110 action bolt. I understand that the new 110 Hog Hunter uses the axis style magazine but still thought it would be a 110 action bolt.

If someone can confirm this for me and clear up the confusion for me that would be great!

That is a 110 style bolt in the photo.

I think what you're confused by is that there are two different firing pin assemblies used in the 110's. The style you have pictured above is the "economy" firing pin assembly which was originally designed for the Axis. It didn't take but a year or two for Savage to realize, "Hey, we can use the same setup in the cheaper 110 models to cut some cost..." and that's exactly what they did. The firing pin itself is specific to L/A or S/A 110 or Axis so they are not interchangeable (different overall lengths).
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain