Thread: 64F Jamming

64F Jamming

Hello,
    I bought a Savage 64 F about four months ago and it has a problem. When I use hollow point ammo they jam up against the bottom back edge of the barrel. This happened the first time I went to shoot at the range. I had a box of hollow points and a box of round points. The round points shot fine. I bought a 500 round box of round points and have been shooting only them for the past few months. This week since I was running out of them I bought some more hollow points. Almost every one of them jammed, of the 30 I tried. I had some of the round tips left and tried ten of them, the shot fine. I didn't realize until after I cleaned the gun and was trying both types of ammo what the problem is. My gun doesn't like hollow point ammo. The reason is that the flat tip of the rounds hit the flat part of the barrel just above the magazine housing. I see there is an angled "guide" at the top of the housing. It isn't up high enough to keep the hollow points from hitting the edge of the barrel and stopping. I watched both the hollow points and the round points as I cycled them through. The round points slide up over and past the flat end of the barrel because they aren't flat, they're round.

So I was wondering if any one here has had the same problem and how they were able to solve it. I don't know that the brand of ammo matters, I think it's just whether or not they are hollow points or round points.

Thanks

Don't use hollow points they work in my gun everything works in my gun. I have an MK3 CCI standard velocity works well Aguila standard velocity jams

Sent from my LM-X410.FGN using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Hi Bolt - Welcome to the 'wonderful world of 64s' I too had that problem when I got my 64, and found lots of threads about maintenance and mods for it. Ther main solution is to 'polish' the feed ramps on both the magazine and the chamber ramp. Here is one thread : " https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...ng-First-Round " - Just don't go overboard with 'sanding' - polishing is better, if slower, in my opinion. You can also find info on Youtube . And I have several threads about mods I've done if you search under my Username.

There are 'years worth' of threads on 64s in Archives, which you can find by following the instructions the moderator sent me last year
    Good luck with your 'new project' ;-) - Ed

- " ... you can still easily pull up every single thread in the Rimfire board pertaining to the Model 64 with the search function.
    - Go into the rimfire board
    - Click on "Search Forum" at the top right just above the list of threads (in light grey bar)
    - Click on Advanced Search
    - In the Advanced Search, ( under 'Search single content type' - ed ) go down to the "Additional Options" area
    - In the "Search in Forums" list, make sure the "Savage and Stevens Rimfire Rifles" is highlighted
    - In the "Search by Prefix" list, make sure "62/64 Series" is highlighted
    - Click the "Search Now" button at the bottom of that area "

Thanks Fasteddie, looks like I'll be busy.

I contacted Savage and they replied saying that the 64 f doesn't like most hollow points, that the gun was designed to shoot 40 grain round nose ammo.

Basic Member
    Hi Bolt223 - I also can shoot all of the hollow points I have tried. CCI-MM 36g HP; Fed 36g HP; Herter 38g HP. Have you tried 'polishing' the feed ramp on both the magazine and the magazine 'well' ?? The inside edge of the mag is the critical one - you want to 'increase' slightly the angle of the bullet insertion. You can see this edge 'polishing' below. This mag has been thru a lot of changes and still works very well. hundreds of rounds thru it, too. The JB weld on the side helps hold the mag in at a proper angle, too. Another thing that may be causing your problem is the back 'ears' (sides) of the mags can become worn (not enough 'drag' on the back of the shell) OR bent 'in' too far. The mags being some sort of 'pot metal' makes them susceptible to lots of wear OR bending. I have a thread about these problems - https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1139263

Hope some of this helps you. Savage tells everyone that HPs don't work well, but I have 3 brand new mags that feed them perfectly !!
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Fasteddie01 View Post
    Hi Bolt - Welcome to the 'wonderful world of 64s' I too had that problem when I got my 64, and found lots of threads about maintenance and mods for it. Ther main solution is to 'polish' the feed ramps on both the magazine and the chamber ramp. Here is one thread : " https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...ng-First-Round " - Just don't go overboard with 'sanding' - polishing is better, if slower, in my opinion. You can also find info on Youtube . And I have several threads about mods I've done if you search under my Username.
    I didn't find any solutions on that webiste...

Basic Member

Thumbs Up

Hi river251 - The first thing to try is to 'polish' the feed ramps of both the magazine and the chamber (as stated in that thread - Post #5). I also have a post with details on magazine 'fixes', since the 'pot metal' mags wear and also can get 'bent' to be too tight to allow proper feed. ( https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...t-and-accuracy ) It's a fine balance to reach, but my post gives measurements of both my 'old mags' and some brand new ones for comparison. ( I have 3-old and 3-new ) After adjusting the old ones to the 'new' specs, they work just fine. Only one gives probs, since I cut ONE loop (early on)of the spring, to allow easier loading. That isn't a good idea
    I have a few other posts regarding mods and 'fixes' if you care to look them up, too. There's a lot that can be done for NO COST, just time and thought.
    Ed

Fasteddie01,

I was looking at my rifle with the Herter's target hollow point ammo that I have. I put five rounds in the mag and as I cycled them in the gun I pushed the bottom back of the mag forward to see if it changed the angle of the mag feed ramp. It did. It caused the rounds to bounce up to the top of the chamber missing the barrel. So I can get the two extremes with the rounds, jammed against the bottom of the barrel just above the mag well ramp and all the way to the top of the chamber. So now I have to work on the mag and the mag well ramp to get the angle just right.
    I ordered a new magazine for it. I am going to cycle some hollow point rounds through it first. If they don't jam I will use it for the hollow point rounds and the original magazine for the round nose. If it also jams I will work on the original mag until I get it to shoot hollow points.
    The Herter's targets I have tried almost work. I think it will take a little bet of tweaking to get them to work.
    By the way, what do you use to polish the mag, super fine sand paper, steel wool?

Thanks to you guys for alerting me to this. I did a lot of research and found lots of folks with the same problems. My 64 was on the way to my local Sportsman's, but I cancelled it and ordered a 10/22. Thanks.

Basic Member

Thumbs Up

Hi River - Once the mags are 'fixed' you have a rifle that is as accurate 9 if not better) than the 10/22, for half the price.

Bolt, I use 1000g wet/dry to polish the mags. I also used it on all the internal parts that have any friction - sear, hammer interface, bolt faces (all 4), inside of the receiver (often rough spots from milling). Placing the paper on a hard surface like metal or glass will give you support for a flat polishing. Then use a few drops of light oil and go

for the sear release I just 'broke' the edge to allow it to 'slip' easier, and polished all the sides just for cleanliness :

Also, I 'opened' the bottom metal and mag well to make the mags go in easier - a bit of filing then polish, too.

I got the spring Kit from MCarbo (about $15CDN), Then, I replaced the trigger return spring with 'part' of one from a clic-pen. The trigger is under 3# now.

All of these mods are suggested with the usual 'Safety Caveat' in that I am not a certified gunsmith. These work safely for me, some for over 3 years and several hundred rounds.

Also, I don't know if you're aware of this but there is often a problem 'special' to 22s - carbon ring in the chamber. From what many have determined it is due to un-burnt lube and powder build-up at the mouth of the cartridge. This often will cause the first 'cold shot' to be deflected by the 'crust' of this 'ring', which is partly self-correcting after subsequent shots. The 'ring' softens from heat of firing, but will re-harden after a short time (some feel 10-15 minutes). Then the problem re-asserts itself. It seems that the 'ring' is difficult to remove with most cleaners, even 'named' Carbon Cleaners. I have ordered a product that is 'said' to dissolve the ring , and will advise when I get some and test it. Assiduous brushing of the ring can remove it, but will eventually damage the chamber and throat, so is not recommended.
    I don't know if this is a critical issue for the casual shooter, but if you're trying to get MOA ( 1/2" at 50) this treatment can't hurt ( except your wallet). The product that was recommended is BoreTech C4 and costs over $40 cdn for 16 oz. so I'll let you know how it works soon. ( https://www.amazon.ca/Bore-Tech-BTCC...473365&sr=8-42 )

ed

Fasteddie01,

Thanks for the detailed info. I will get it sorted out eventually.

I agree about the rifle being a great shooting gun for the price. It shoots really tight groups and is pretty accurate.

Well, you are right. The 10/22 is not $95 like the savage fv sr was at Sportsman's Spring Shooting Sale, but not too bad but this is a short run of them that Ruger says won't last long. Getting a barrel like the fv sr has will bump it up 200 or so if I decide to do that to get quiet.

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear-gun-supplies/rifles/ruger-1022-carbine-blackgray-semi-automatic-rifle-22-long-rifle/p/1538005">https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...-22-long-rifle

I read alot about feed problems with the Savage but never got to the point it seemed like there were solutions but if you found some, good deal. I would just rather not have to deal with it, I have little enough time.

Thanks.

Basic Member
    HI bolt - Yes, moving the bottom of the magazine can help feeding also. I experimented with that too. The best was adding some JB weld (pic in previous post) to the mag to hold it in place, just lightly file to fit until it works On another I filled in with a 2-part epoxy, then filed. Another I just filed the metal, that didn't seem to help or hurt ;-(
    I measured some 'new' mags to see how the old and new compared, then was able to adjust the old ones to match. The article I posted is here : https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...t-and-accuracy

Some of my attempts:

[IMG][/IMG]

Basic Member

RE : Removing 'Carbon Ring'

Just another note to all interested - I had mentioned that I was getting some C-4 cleaner. Well, I had ordered a Teslong borescope on that same amazon.ca order on Feb-16, and due to the c-19 developing in China, my order was not filled. I finally got the C-4 but not the borescope, so I can't give a definitive judgement of the 'before' condition of the chamber. However, I ran several patches thru with the C-4 and they continued to come out with lots of black out of a barrel that I had cleaned 'thoroughly' with H-#9 ! It took about 6-8 patches to come out clean to my satisfaction, So I believe the C-4 is a 'Good thing' Hoping that the borescopes become available sometime soon so I can give a better decision.

I got the new magazine and it does the same as the old one. So now I can take one of them and work on it until get it to work. I think using some JB weld on it sounds like a good idea.

I was having the same problem. Bought two new magazines and nothing changed. Out of curiosity, I tore a tab off a box of ammo and slipped it in the back side of the mag housing - forcing the bottom of the magazine to its most forward position. Ran 50 rounds of cheap Winchester hollow-points flawlessly.

I removed the magazine housing and roughed up the bottom/back edge with a file. Applied a very thin dab of JBWeld, only about 1/4" up from the bottom. Let it cure completely then filed a little at a time until I had a nice snug magazine fit. Now all three of my magazines run hollow points with no feed issues.

Kind of hard to see. Probably only as thick as a layer or two of masking tape.

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!