Thread: Information on disassembly of a Model 87A

Information on disassembly of a Model 87A

I have come into possession of a Model 87A ... It is a boat anchor at the the moment. Completely frozen down. Not real rusty looking but most likely was never cleaned and then left to sit for no telling how many decades.

I have the stock off ... the end cap screwed off - the bolt, bolt spring, firing pin removed and locking bolt removed. The breech bolt will move ever ever so slightly - 1/32 of an inch maybe. I know the breech bolt is supposed to travel out the back and that the trigger needs to be pulled at some points during the removal. Everything is frozen down tight.

There is a small problem. Underneath the lifter are two cartridges jammed in one on top of the other. Both at angles. The top cartridge ( would be on the bottom if the barrel were turned in normal position ) moves some but very little.

The screws holding the action parts are all frozen down tight.

I need to know a couple of things before I go any further with trying to get this little sucker back to operational status. These may seem a little trivial but I have run into the situations on other firearms before and am trying to save myself some aggravation wasted time and effort.

1) Do all of the screws holding the action pieces to the barrel come out ? I have run into situations on other firearms where the screws are just there and do not come out by design.

2) Does the magazine tube come off and how ?

Gonna have to get these operations done just to be able to get to the 2 jammed cartridges to get them removed. I don't know if their being jammed in where they are is affecting the action movement.

Any help from out there would be muchly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Basic Member
    Maybe this video will help! Looks like the cart guide spring holds the tube in place.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6FORM%3DHDRSC3

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    Maybe this video will help! Looks like the cart guide spring holds the tube in place.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6FORM%3DHDRSC3
    THANKS - had seen that one but it did not give the specifics I needed.

I did in further research find a video on the model 6A that did give me all of the particulars. Kinda of a funny video - in fast motion and no sound. After slowing it down and being able to rerun segments of the video it was possible to follow what was being done.

Also the comments, questions and answers down below were quite helpful.

To answer my two questions posted above:

Yes all of the screws are made to be removed - so mine are just completely frozen down.

No, the mag tube does not come off. ( normally does not - there is a process to do so if the tube absolutely needs to be replaced. Advice is not to for any other reason. The process to do so is very involved and not for the faint of heart according to the presenters comments )