Thread: Savage 110 300 win mag options

Basic Member

Savage 110 300 win mag options

Hi everyone, I'm new to savage rifles and I'm intrigued by the barrel changing ability of these rifles. I'm looking at a 300 win mag savage 110 and I'm interested in having multiple barrels specifically in 223, 25-06, 22-250, 338 win mag, 375 h&h. I'm wondering what will be needed to convert over the 300 win mag to these calibers if it's possible. How many different bolt head sizes are there and which sizes do the calibers I listed need? Also will any feed in a 300 win mag with a blind magazine.
    Thanks in advance!

Basic Member
    Pretty much just need the correct bolt head and magazine/follower to change to whatever you want. I turned my old staggered feed 110 FLP 300 WM into a 6.5-06 several years ago.

For the 300 Win Mag, 338 and 375 H&H you'll have to use a long action. To shoot 223 on the same action you'll have to shoot single shot as no long action will feed that short cartridge from a long mag with out putting in a spacer of some kind. Of course, you'll need a 223 bolt head set up to work in that LA.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

A lot of good stuff in this sticky (which is located just above this thread) that you might be interested in:

https://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?18164-Savage-Centerfire-FAQ-s-amp-Gunsmithing-Article-Links

Edit:
    Well link didn't come up active, but as mentioned, just look at the stickys in 110 Series Rifles forum.

Last edited by mike21; 02-10-2020 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Clarify
    Mike

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike21 View Post
    A lot of good stuff in this sticky (which is located just above this thread) that you might be interested in:

https://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?18164-Savage-Centerfire-FAQ-s-amp-Gunsmithing-Article-Links

Edit:
    Well link didn't come up active, but as mentioned, just look at the stickys in 110 Series Rifles forum.

I couldn't find the sticky but your link worked thanks!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
    Pretty much just need the correct bolt head and magazine/follower to change to whatever you want. I turned my old staggered feed 110 FLP 300 WM into a 6.5-06 several years ago.
    OK interesting I don't actually want barrels in all those calibers necessarily but would at least one of the 22 cals, the 25-06, and one of the big cals. I'm reading that the 300 win mag uses the same bolt head as the 375 h&h because the 375 is it's patent case, so I wouldnt need to change the bolt head for the 375 correct? What about length of the magazine, etc?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    For the 300 Win Mag, 338 and 375 H&H you'll have to use a long action. To shoot 223 on the same action you'll have to shoot single shot as no long action will feed that short cartridge from a long mag with out putting in a spacer of some kind. Of course, you'll need a 223 bolt head set up to work in that LA.
    OK I'd be willing to forego the 223 if the 22-250 would feed from the magazine, would that be the case?

Basic Member
    Well guys thanks to you all I just bought my first savage 110 300 win mag. Thanks again to everyone who responded!
    From researching the serial number it seems that this is a year 2000 model 110, no accutrigger, black plastic stock. The trigger pull is right at 3 lbs, can anyone tell me which trigger this would have and if 3lbs is normal for a factory rifle? Also can you tell me which magazine and stock this is and which of the calibers I listed above (excluding the 223) will feed from this mag?

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Longranger View Post
    OK I'd be willing to forego the 223 if the 22-250 would feed from the magazine, would that be the case?
    Not sure if the 22-250 would feed reliably. Only way is to try. Might have to play with the feed lips on the mag but that would probably screw up the feeding of belted cases. Getting harder to find stagger feed mags but a 30-06 stagger feed mag may feed the 22--250s. The stagger feed mags are not too hard to remove from the receiver when you know how to do it.

Well guys thanks to you all I just bought my first savage 110 300 win mag. Thanks again to everyone who responded!
    From researching the serial number it seems that this is a year 2000 model 110, no accutrigger, black plastic stock. The trigger pull is right at 3 lbs, can anyone tell me which trigger this would have and if 3lbs is normal for a factory rifle? Also can you tell me which magazine and stock this is and which of the calibers I listed above (excluding the 223) will feed from this mag?
    That rifle probably has the older 3 screw trigger that was adjusted by the previous owner. I've been able to adjust them to just under 3 lbs in a few of my older actions.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    That rifle probably has the older 3 screw trigger that was adjusted by the previous owner. I've been able to adjust them to just under 3 lbs in a few of my older actions.
    OK I thought maybe it had been adjusted by the previous owner like you said and I just want to make sure it's safe.

Basic Member
    Also are these stocks serviceable? I can tell it's cheap and I like to shoot offhand with my arm through the sling which puts a lot of sideways pressure on a stock, do you think I'd be better off getting a wood stock or is this one usable as-is or modded?

Basic Member
    I would shoot it first.
    The rifle and stock might be fine the way it is.
    Jack

Basic Member
    10-4 will do. I put a scope on it last night so just need the weather to break and I'll get it out to the range

Basic Member
    It's also getting hard to find a lot of stock choices for the old staggered feed actions,but since you have a long action,you can buy just about any center feed 110 stock and use it. You will just need to open up the front portion of the stocks mag well for the staggered feed magazine to fit into the stock.

Here are some pics of a modified Boyd's LH Thumbhole stock that I did on my 6.5-06 build years ago. I just used some wood chisels and smoothed it out with a Drimel tool.

Basic Member
    It's also getting hard to find a lot of stock choices for the old staggered feed actions,but since you have a long action,you can buy just about any center feed 110 stock and use it. You will just need to open up the front portion of the stocks mag well for the staggered feed magazine to fit into the stock.

Here are some pics of a modified Boyd's LH Thumbhole stock that I did on my 6.5-06 build years ago. I just used some wood chisels and smoothed it out with a Drimel tool.

Awesome that's just what I was wondering, I don't mind doing a little fitting as long as it's pretty close.

Basic Member

I'll definitely start looking for a wood stock but do you think the original plastic one I have would be worth bedding or is it not stiff enough?

Basic Member
    I'm going to take the rifle out and shoot it as-is just to see how it does. I found some very cheap ammo locally it's called armscor In a yellow / black box, is this stuff any good?

Basic Member
    I don't think I've ever shot a Savage with the factory tupperware stock. I always take them off and throw them in the trash.

Shooting cheap ammo usually gives you poor results when it comes to accuracy,but you may have different results.

Basic Member
    I don't think I've ever shot a Savage with the factory tupperware stock. I always take them off and throw them in the trash.

Shooting cheap ammo usually gives you poor results when it comes to accuracy,but you may have different results.
    That's what I've always heard with regard to the plastic stocks. I think I'll still test it as is but plan on doing a wood stock for it regardless.

Basic Member

It turns out the store that said they had 300 win mag for cheap was actually looking at armscor 308 so I probably won't be getting that stuff anyway.

I'm going to take the rifle out and shoot it as-is just to see how it does. I found some very cheap ammo locally it's called armscor In a yellow / black box, is this stuff any good?
    They're a company in the Philippines. A couple of years ago they opened an ammo plant here in the U.S. No telling how well it will shoot in your rifle until you try it.

Basic Member
    I have another question. If I mark the current 300 win mag barrel in relation to the receiver, can I take the 300 barrel off and install a 22-250 barrel, then re-install the 300 without checking headspace on the 300 if I line up the markings? Has anyone done this?

Basic Member
    I have another question. If I mark the current 300 win mag barrel in relation to the receiver, can I take the 300 barrel off and install a 22-250 barrel, then re-install the 300 without checking headspace on the 300 if I line up the markings? Has anyone done this?
    Yes,You could mark it. But I wouldn't suggest it,I always use Go - No Go gauges when installing any barrel on an action.
    It's always better to be safe,and not sorry,injured,or dead!