Thread: Savage does odd things.......but still by far my favorite rifle

Savage does odd things.......but still by far my favorite rifle

Hey guys.......long time lurker, first post.

I've built more than a dozen Savage rifles over the years and have tried a lot of things......some cool, some not so cool. I currently have 4 custom long actions in 7mm Rem, .300win, .338 Edge, and .375 H&H.....all of these have custom McGowan barrel's which I absolutely love.

Anyway, I'm at a gun show this past weekend, and on this dingy display table I see an equally dingy looking stainless 116 in .300 RUM. The plastic stock was cracked, Walmart scope dented, and the gun was all tacticool painted with a quality peeling Krylon spray can job. A real beaut. Walked away with it for $200 and got around to stripping it down today.

I trashed the factory stock and stripped the nasty paint off the metal parts. The stainless is tip top, gun/barrel looks hardly shot, and no scratches on the bolt which is no surprise due to canon level recoil in sporter weight RUM rifles. )

Behold a stainless 116......large shank action, staggered feed blind mag, controlled round feed, accutrigger, and a mismatched round rear/flat bolt handle. I've come across a lot of these rifles and have never seen a unicorn combination like this one. No complaints because I have a painted epoxy and steel filled Choate staggered feed varmint stock ready to go + a spare Trijicon scope just looking for a new rifle to sit on. Going to order my standard 26" McGowan fluted stainless barrel on Monday after I mull over caliber options this weekend. Might just do a 300 RUM since I already use that brass for the 338 Edge.

Gotta love Savage.......back in the early 2000's, I think those guys just grabbed whatever was in the parts bin and bolted together a rifle....LOL.

Nice snag at a great price!
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    I think many manufacturers do weird things from time to time. A coworker just had to buy a new .308 Browning last year. He thinks all things Browning is just awesome. I tried to convince him to let me put together something for him like a Remage since I know he thinks a Savage is lower quality.

Yeah, it is a pretty little rifle, but some things I just scratched my head about.

Basic Member
    I don't know why you think that is such a unicorn....that is a standard configuration for a .300 RUM. Savage didn't change the bolt handles to the round style until the RUM's were discontinued.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."