Thread: New to me Axis with wood stock 30-06

New to me Axis with wood stock 30-06

I am picking up aused Savage Axis tomorrow from a local shop and this will be my third Savage to date.
    To my surprise it has a wood stock which I thought all Axis were plastic stock guns.
    It is a 30-06 and I want to change barrels to a .223 which should not be a problem from what I have read but , do I need to change the bolt head?
    Thanks
    Tim

Yes, you will need a .378" bolt head for the smaller cartridge. The Boyd's stock is much better than the factory plastic. They do need pillars and/or glass bedding.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

GaCop,
    Thank you for your service and also you response to my question. I will look into getting a new bolt head before I get my barrel, I plan to use this rifle and when I find another Savage Axis with the a 7.62 x 39 barrel or just another Savage Axis I will swap out the barrel for the 7.62 x 39 cartridge as range guns and single shots. I have a family that loves to shoot and they are all girls, they want to shoot something beside .22 lr all the time and these are the next cheapest rounds I have found, I take pleasure in teaching my girls to respect and enjoy firearms at an early age and so some of our get togethers are at the range. GaCop I spent 26.5 years helping the Navy and Marine fighter squadrons put warheads on foreheads as a aircraft mechanic working on fixed wing and rotor wing aircraft and got to travel to a lot of bases all over the country and a few abroad supporting our troops and loved every minute of it.
    Thank you,
    V/r
    Tim

Check Numrich, you will probably be able to find a 223 bolt head, extractor, extractor bearing, ejector and springs there. PT&G is also another source for bolt heads along with the classified here. And, thank you for your service. I was a medic and flew Medivac and Air Rescue while participating in the "Southeast Asia War Games". Did 20 in the AF and then 22 years in Law Enforcement.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Savage started offering a wood stocked Axis a year or two ago now.

As for the bolt head, all Axis use a short-action bolt head so you will need a S/A .378 bolt head, .223 magazine and a new stock that is inlet to work with the shorter magazine.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Thanks guys,
    I am realy going to like my new choice of firearms and this site and members!!!