Thread: MSR-10 feeding malfunction

MSR-10 feeding malfunction

First things first. I wont lie this is my first real AR platform and i expect to make some mistakes and or not have all of the information that i need.

The issue itself is pretty strait forward. I'd say 70% of the time the first round out of every magazine doesn't properly feed, with a 4-5% of the same issue happening on following rounds. The First time i took it to the range it happened nearly every round. I was using some cheap Herters soft points and thought that might be the issue. I had some PMC bronze on order and figured better ammo should solve the issue. This was not the case. I spend a good portion of a Saturday manually cycling rounds though the camber one at a time. This accomplished a little bit and the issue seemed to get better. Next time i went to the range still had failures on the first round with each mag, but the follow up issues didn't continue. I thought the problem would solve itself as perhaps it was just a break in period issue. However my last time at the range the issues persisted and again i had rounds failing to chamber correctly half way through magazines, as well as several issues with the mags locking into place (hasn't been repeated). Following that disaster i took a part and cleaned/oiled the rifle (i also did this after the first round at the range) and manually cycled more rounds though. The issus persisted for 3 magazine changes but then seemed to go away. I am going to the range again this sunday and will follow up, however what do you guys thing the issue might be? Pic bellow of issue.

Basic Member
    Looks like the round is at least starting to chamber? If you push on the carrier will it go ahead and fully seat? Got any lube on the carrier?

What ive been doing is dropping the mag and then pulling the charging handle back again and it will at that point chamber the round. It takes more force than i would like to pull it back when this happens. Feels like its catching on something. And yes carrier is lubed up.

Basic Member
    Not sure if it's the camera, but glancing at the picture again it looks like the receiver is bowed/bent down where the scope mount attaches? Or am I just seeing things?

im 100% sure thats the camera.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tankerjonny View Post
    First things first. I wont lie this is my first real AR platform and i expect to make some mistakes and or not have all of the information that i need.

The issue itself is pretty strait forward. I'd say 70% of the time the first round out of every magazine doesn't properly feed, with a 4-5% of the same issue happening on following rounds. The First time i took it to the range it happened nearly every round. I was using some cheap Herters soft points and thought that might be the issue. I had some PMC bronze on order and figured better ammo should solve the issue. This was not the case. I spend a good portion of a Saturday manually cycling rounds though the camber one at a time. This accomplished a little bit and the issue seemed to get better. Next time i went to the range still had failures on the first round with each mag, but the follow up issues didn't continue. I thought the problem would solve itself as perhaps it was just a break in period issue. However my last time at the range the issues persisted and again i had rounds failing to chamber correctly half way through magazines, as well as several issues with the mags locking into place (hasn't been repeated). Following that disaster i took a part and cleaned/oiled the rifle (i also did this after the first round at the range) and manually cycled more rounds though. The issus persisted for 3 magazine changes but then seemed to go away. I am going to the range again this sunday and will follow up, however what do you guys thing the issue might be? Pic bellow of issue.

tankerjonny did you resolve this problem? Did you contact Savage? Are you using more than one magazine? Are you using the magazine which came with the gun?

I sent it back into savage and am still waiting for it to be returned. Last time i cycled some rounds through it was denting the side wall of the casings which it hadnt done (or i hadnt noticed) before. counting the mag that came with it i have 5 20rd and 2 25rd pmags.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the information tankerjonny. Good luck with your rifle.

Got it back from thr factory a week ago but finally got out to the range yesterday. Savage said they replaced the barrel and did something (not sure what exactly) to the bolt. First up I tried to shoot some 180 grain herters soft points. They didn't want to eject or feed. Off to a great start. Moved on to 147 grain PMC which worked great
    Cycled 20 rounds with out issue and used them to get my iron sights dialed in. Group wasn't great but the gun worked. Next was twenty rounds of 150 grain wolf
    Worked fine no issues. Last up was twenty 168 grain hornaday PTHP. Put all twenty through a 2x2 square at 50 yards which probably isn't great but for my level of shooting I was more than happy.

So the rifle works now.