Thread: Dick's Sporting Goods

Basic Member

Dick's Sporting Goods

I was in a local store today. They had several model 11's and 111's as a package deal with a cheap scope on sale for $350. They also had several package deal Edge rifles also listed for $350 on sale. I asked why the two models were the same price and they said because they were the same rifle. I explained to them that the Edges were budget rifles and should be cheaper than the model 11's and 111's. They again said that they were exactly the same. I explained that other than the barrels nothing will interchange between them. They looked dumbfounded as I also explained that the Edge should be at least $100 cheaper.

Dolomite

hotbrass

Re: Dick's Sporting Goods

Dumb Dicks!

But did they have any CCI SV .22 for $25 a brick?

Why is it that women always have an easy time finding what they want at Dicks? And men can never find what they want at BJ's?

Basic Member

I looked over their rimfire selection for anything I could use and there wasn&#39;t anything standard or subsonic velocity. I shoot a ton of rimfire as well and the stuff that has been working very well for me lately is Winchester subsonic HP&#39;s. They are reasonably priced as well as <$3 per 50. In my match chambered guns they are shooting MOA regularly at 50 yards with a few occasion MOA groups at 100 yards. They aren&#39;t as good as some of the higher end ammunition but it definitely is better than anything else in the same price range. Might want to buy a few boxes and check them out.

Dolomite

hotbrass

I didnt know Winchester made sub-sonic HP ammo.

I will give it a try.

My guns like the CCI SV. And Dicks has them for about $25 a brick if you can get there fast enough.

Thanks!

diriel

Hey Dolomite,
    SHHHHH, mums tha&#39; word on the winchester 40gr subsonics!! I shoot those quite a bit....err...i mean those are absolutely horrid!

need tom pick up a couple pieces they have a nicev sale plus i got mail coupons. if you catch the sales....

cwop

gordon

what is the name of the winchester ammo? ill see if grafs carries it and order a couple of bricks.

thanks

bob

Basic Member

When I get home I&#39;ll look and post the item number. It is Winchester subsonic hollow point.

Dolomite

cwop

ive been getting some winchester 333s in bulk. wonder if its the same thing?

bob

diriel

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...roductId/19832

You guys need ta Leave Mah Ammo Alone! Imma tellin&#39; ya tha&#39; it&#39;z Horrid!!! Nobody would evah consider usin&#39; dis stuff in a stick dey valu!

It all belongs to me! hahah :)

Good Shooting,
    P.S. lookie lookie, it is out of stock. Again. Gosh I wonder why :-[

cwop

i live 10 miles away from them. my wholesale 2.59 a box.

pretty good deal since i have been shooting ely black box. i want some soon!!!!!!

bob

Golfbuddy45

I bought Hornady VMAX .22MAGS for $11 a box at gunshop. Dicks wants $17 for them. Many other examples like that.

I was very sorry to see our other large sports stores like Sport Authority and Sports Unlimited stores close up because now Dicks is the only thing left in our area and they know it.

:&#39;(hate when there is only one choice. at least when i was in y town i had a few.

Hawk45

Yeah.. I&#39;m no guru of guns.. but lots of shops I go into (even some dedicated gun shops) I find incorrect and poor information. Glad I do my homework before I leave the house. Sometimes I hear them talking to other customers and I want to interrupt them and tell them the correct information... and a few times have once the sales person walked away. That can be costly advice.

reminds me of a story. baclk in fall of 05 i decided i wanted a 114 classic in 06. anyway after going to dicks and gander mountain they had no idea what i was talking about. the guy at gander tried to sell me a stiff bolt remmy instead. told him i didnt want the remmy and drove to struthers ohio which was about 35 minutes away they had the savage and knew what i was talking about. i learned something that day dont disreguard the small family shops....

Basic Member

Ya, I got one guy at my local Dicks that knows what he is talking about. If he is not there I keep walking. Most times you have to hunt down someone to help you.. Maybe because im in Nj but they just seem like they dont want to sell any firearms...

Peter_Kirch

yeah at any of the big chain stores, make sure you know what you want going in because the guys behind the counter are only there to hand the guns to you. There was one time at my local Gander Mountain I asked to see the leupold mark 4 scope (they only had one) on the wall. The guy said "which ones that?" I said "the one with the M1 knobs you know...the target knobs?" The guy still didn&#39;t know what I was talking about and finally I had to say "The one right in front of you that is $1099."

Then after that I asked to see their leica 1200 range finder while pointing to it in the case... (the range finder even has "Leica 1200" in red on the side!) What did this guy do? He promptly reached in the case and pulled out a laser boresighter that was right under the leica....
    I mean really??

hows that go god loves stupid people he made so many of them....

ellobo

Some yrs back a doofus who had a cannon wanted some black powder for a 4th salute. He went to a gun shop and asked for black powder. The stupid kid behind the counter opened the can and said "yup, its black". The doofus took it home and used the whole can in that cannon. The cannon blew up and killed one person an wounded several others.

El Lobo

Basic Member

I know I started the thread complaining about the Dick&#39;s staff but it is also the customer&#39;s responsibility to know what they need. Most sales staff at any sporting goods store I&#39;ve been to are no where near as knowledgeable as most people on this sight. Customer&#39;s must realize that those same sales staff are not experts or at least most of them aren&#39;t. Arming yourself with knowledge is never a bad thing.

I was recently in Walmart looking over the selection of rifles and checking the Savages they had on sale. A customer was standing there waiting on the manager. When the manager arrived he asked the customer what the problems was. The customer said the associate at sporting goods sold him the wrong ammo and now he couldn&#39;t return it. The manager asked the customer if he seen the ammo before he bought it and the customer said yes. The customer said the associate didn&#39;t know what kind of ammo his gun took and that the associate should know. The customer didn&#39;t know what kind of ammo his gun took either. When the manager asked him what kind of ammo he needed the customer said ammo for his revolver. The manager asked what caliber and the customer didn&#39;t know what the word caliber meant but said it was for a Smith and Wesson and it was model 357 revolver. At that point I realized the customer had come in not knowing anything and asked for something to fit his model 357 pistol. I asked what kind of ammo he got thinking I would buy it from him if I could use it to help him out. He didn&#39;t want to because he thought he was going to get a refund, he didn&#39;t. I told him it sounded like he needed 357 magnum for his revolver. The Wamart didn&#39;t have any 357 mag on the shelf and the customer got really upset at that fact. He went into a tirade about how he couldn&#39;t protect his family now because of Walmart so I told the customer to buy 38 special instead because his pistol would shoot it. Customer wasn&#39;t interested in that and only wanted his money back. In the end the customer was told to keep his $12 box of ammo but the manager did give him a $20 gift certificate.

In the end I realized the customer was the one who was responsible.

Dolomite

hotbrass

Too bad customers now days are not informed enough(mostly because they are lazy) to know what they have or what they want. Even with all the information, and misinformation, available nowdays.

I dont depend on big box stores (or any other store) to educate me on what I want or need. Not just firearms, but everything else too.

As I always say, I am a buyer, not a shopper. I do my research and make my own decision. And I am very rarely disappointed.