Thread: Rimfire boy's Rifle

Rimfire boy's Rifle

I have become interested in early rimfires. Those known as "boy's rifles" date to the early 20th century. A good example is this little Model 1904 which is a bolt action single shot weighing about 2.5 pounds.
    https://ibb.co/Hd9YRgQ

One thing I note is the bolt is tapered toward the chamber mouth. I suppose that gives better contact and support to the bolt by the action. The rear sight is a combination blade and peep.
    https://ibb.co/VjZFZFn
    The most interesting thing for me is that the butt plate, trigger guard and action screw are nickel plated, and the butt plate is engraved "Savage Arms Corp, Utica, New York, Manufacturers of high power repeating rifles and ammunition."
    https://ibb.co/ZJXXrQM

I guess the little rifle is an advertising piece. The bore is good and it functions fine, but winter has to fade before I can get out for a good test.

Boy, that's a nice looking specimen! Is it long rifle? Yes, that butt plate looks like a bill board. Maybe aimed at daddy?

Yes, it will chamber S, L, and LR.

Basic Member
    Yours is an early version, on later guns the buttplate just has a 'Savage Quality' Indian head logo and the rear sight is a V type screwed to the barrel forward of the chamber. The trigger guard on later guns was widened and the 'pistol grip' curve increased.

The bolt is tapered so the loading port can be tapered toward the chamber for easier loading, the 1911 repeater uses almost the exact same bolt but it is not tapered.

These are a weak action so shoot Standard Velocity or lighter in it, the action can crack where the bolt locks into the receiver and the bolt 'handle/locking lug' can loosen - look close at these before shooting it.