Thread: Savage Rifle information

Savage Rifle information

I have a Savage 250-3000 Model 99 Take Down, I have determined this by looking at pictures people have posted.

The Serial number is 169488 - which would date the weapon to 1915 but the Boss Code on the lever is an "H" which would be 1956.

I'm lost on this.

Thats not a date code it's either an inspectors mark or an assembly mark.

The 1915 is correct.
    Savage- "never say never".

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post

The 1915 is correct.
    Thanks - now that we have that settled I will describe the weapon as best possible. Maybe you would be able to shed some light on the particular model. I would send pics if needed.

Front sight is ramped, the serial numbers appear on the end of the forearm, the forearm is a schnable type, rotary brass magazine with counter window, steel shotgun type butt plate, pistol grip stock with walnut furniture with checkering, cocking indicator, lever lock, under the butt stock plate it is marked with 72 and the stock is marked with 74, 24 inch barrel, it has an adjustable Redfield peep sight.

Thanks for your time, I enjoy reading the threads some very knowable folks.

Savage Model 99 Unknown Model

Veryt new to all this threads, edit, replies so I hope you all will understand.

Maybe you would be able to shed some light on the particular model. I would send pics if needed.

Front sight is ramped, the serial numbers appear on the end of the forearm, the forearm is a schnable type, rotary brass magazine with counter window, steel shotgun type butt plate, pistol grip stock with walnut furniture with checkering, cocking indicator, lever lock, under the butt stock plate it is marked with 72 and the stock is marked with 74, 24 inch barrel, it has an adjustable Redfield peep sight.

Thanks for your time, I enjoy reading the threads some very knowable folks.

Hello Hit42289 and welcome. I just joined myself a few weeks ago with questions about the same year/caliber rifle as yours. From everything I have found about these 1915 take downs in the 250-3000 caliber is they are the very first year for our rifles. That caliber was introduced in the Savage 99 platform for the first time in 1915 so it seems we have a pretty cool rare find. Mine is not the best looker but it still shoots very well. I developed a load for it with the 87gr Speer SP bullet. I tried to get it to shoot 100gr bullets but I couldn't get the desired accuracy. These guns were engineered for that 87gr bullet to achieve that 3000fps velocity. With modern powders you will be able to get even more velocity and retain the accuracy. They make a great white-tail deer rifle if that is something you're interested in doing with it.

Savage 99 250-3000

Quote Originally Posted by 257BEE View Post
    Hello Hit42289 and welcome. I just joined myself a few weeks ago with questions about the same year/caliber rifle as yours. From everything I have found about these 1915 take downs in the 250-3000 caliber is they are the very first year for our rifles. That caliber was introduced in the Savage 99 platform for the first time in 1915 so it seems we have a pretty cool rare find. Mine is not the best looker but it still shoots very well. I developed a load for it with the 87gr Speer SP bullet. I tried to get it to shoot 100gr bullets but I couldn't get the desired accuracy. These guns were engineered for that 87gr bullet to achieve that 3000fps velocity. With modern powders you will be able to get even more velocity and retain the accuracy. They make a great white-tail deer rifle if that is something you're interested in doing with it.

I picked this up in 1970 on my return from NAM. It has always been a great gun to shoot. Do not hunt anymore I think I killed enough in my life already.
    It was stored in Tucson for a while and got some water damage, I had to refinish the weapon with KG Gunkote, this would be blasphemous to some but that's life. Beautiful weapon now.

Thanks for the additional information - it is a cool weapon.

Should be a model 250-3000 but not with a ramped front sight, should be integral with the barrel and a blade.
    Savage- "never say never".

Savage 250-3000

Should be a model 250-3000 but not with a ramped front sight, should be integral with the barrel and a blade.
    Thanks for the input. This will be another example of using parts that were on hand at the time. At this time in history nothing was wasted. So Savage put together a weapon with what was available in the factory. Kinda like finding a WWII carbine with all the parts made at the same location.

The 1915 is correct.
    I am new and have a question about a 1956 mod 99 in 308 I picked up. It has Schnabel for stock, Monte Carlo cheek, brass counter, and H17 BC, and on barrel here it mates up to receiver under the stock—the letter “S” and the stock is a fancy Walnut dark lustre finish. Was told it was a 99 featherweight but on rounded portion of receivers it reads “Model 99” no letters, and on barrel saws made in Chippewa Falls, MA. The front sight looks like a milled blank. Previous owner put a Leuopold 1-4x scope with Bueller rings and 1 piece base. The butt pad is brown and branded as Bishop.

Basic Member
    Sounds like it was re-srocked at some point. Bishop made replacement stocks for years and came semi-finished/pre inletted for the do it yourselfer!

Thanks Big Al1. The stock fits to the action very nicely.
    I have 3 of these 99a and I cannot wait to take this one out to the range.