Thread: What to do with wolf ammo

Basic Member

What to do with wolf ammo

Ok, I start off saying I am a ammo snob. I have had 638 rounds of wolf steel case 223 given to me. I dislike steel case ammo and steel jacket bullets. However I found this ammo is the wolf with the copper and lead bullets.
    So I got curious and took the 38 odd rounds and decided to put them on paper with a savage model 12 with a 26 inch heavy barrel. This is a rifle that can shoot groups at 100 yards between 1/2 inch and 1 inch with good ammo.
    This wolf was 3-4 inch or worse. My shotgun has shot better groups than this ammo. It was also the dirtiest ammo I have ever shot. Patch after patch came out solid black. It took me forever to get it clean.
    I have 3 AR's, however 2 of the 3 I built with good quality parts, and the last one is a DCM match rifle. None of these I want to put this crap through.
    So now I am trying to figure out what to do with it. I have posted it on my local armslist with offers to trade it for other ammo. Trades such as these 600 rounds for 300 rounds of brass case ammo, or 600 rounds of 9mm, as well as other calibers. I have had the ad up for a few weeks with zero interest.

So I had two ideas. Either pull the bullets, dump the powder and use this as primed brass to load better bullets and powder. But that seems like a lot of work for primed brass, plus if the neck does not hold the bullet right, I'm not running it through my neck dies.
    The other idea would be is to buy a cheap upper and shoot it up with it, just blast away and not worry about aiming, as your not going to hit anything with it past 50 yards anyways. Then sell the upper when done. However I do not really want to dump the money into another upper, that I might not be able to resale when I am done with it.
    So I am just looking for ideas on what to do with this.

Basic Member
    Or you could stop on a bridge over deep water and drop it over.

Basic Member
    600 steel rounds are worth less than $90. Throw it in a bonfire and watch the fireworks...

Basic Member
    Strange as this stuff is 23 cents a round online before tax and shipping.
    https://www.sgammo.com/product/wolf-...se-ammo-made-b

I sure as heck would not pay that for it, but apparently some people do.
    Not gonna throw it away, I mean it did go bang every time, which some ammo has trouble doing.
    I did see a complete upper on PSA for like $159, with no BCG or CH, which I have spares of. Have not been able to find cheaper than that yet. Mag dumping the stuff might be mildly entertaining. Just hate to spend the money just to shoot this stuff.

Basic Member
    ak people would like it. them ak's arent exactly known for accuracy anyway, and they will eat about any kind of low grade ammo. a fair amount of people have swapped there bulgarian 5.45x39 ak74"s, w/ a 556 barrel, to convert them. also, anyone w/ a saiga iz114 . im a member on "ak files", so if you want, you can send me a message w/ some sort of phone #, and i can put it on there for you

Basic Member
    Dirty, cheap, and usually goes bang. Find a cheap barrel that it likes, or give it to someone else. I had a Bear Creek 1/8 16" stainless barrel that shot wolf steel at 1 - 1.5 MOA all day.

Hell, its all I shoot out of my more basic upper unless I can find wolf gold for extra cheapo.

Basic Member
    Well I solved the problem. Guy I used to work with was looking for some cheap ammo, turned out I had just what he needed. We met today and exchanged the ammo for a $100 bill.
    Both of us came out happy.