Thread: 23B stock question

23B stock question

Good evening,

Recently I stumbled upon a gun I always found incredibly neat but RARELY encountered in any condition. I picked up a Savage 23B in 25-20. The metal is in about 90%, with the exception being the clip with the rough cheese grater type area having some moderate rusting. The bore is very good + with only a few small areas of light pitting. I've managed to completely disassemble the bolt and everything is good to go, firing pin, extractor, ejector, etc etc.

My problem lies in the stock. The stock is a total loss. It is missing a ton of material from the butt end, including the whole butt plate. The forend, on the left side has a giant section missing towards the end, much of the material is missing by the action screw mount, you get the idea. Will the stock from a 23B and C interchange? If I am thinking right the 23A has a more narrow bottom metal so it wouldn't work but I don't know about the dimensions of the 23C being 32-20 so it *might* work. I DO have the bottom metal from the original metal from the original stock so at least there is something.

Once I get a stock and butt plate, i'll just need a die set, some brass, and boo-lits. I plan to shoot this with Unique powder to keep the pressures and wear and tear low so I can keep shooting this gun for another generation. Something about the golden oldies really makes me warm and fuzzy.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

A 23C should work find on it.

Also I'm pretty sure theres a stock company out there that makes repro stocks for that model, just can't remember the name of them right now.

I remembered, it's called gunville and they make them for 23B's. Nice stocks, I redid a Stevens 425 with one of their stocks.
    Savage- "never say never".

You can also find a stock for the 23B and C at gunpartscorp.com. They have them for $91.50, a decent price. Whatever you do make sure you get the rust stopped on the magazine. A used cheese grater type mag , when one can be found, will be nowhere near a decent price. I believe the .25-20 and .32-20 take the same magazine.

Thanks for the help all. I had the Numrich stock bookmarked, but was hesitant to order it as the profile is a good bit different than the one that is on my rifle. My rifle has no checkering and a schnable forend. I'm not sure if this changed through production or if the checkered one was for the .32 models though. As before, I really don't know much about them, all I have is the bottom metal plate, screws, and magazine/retainer plate. I did soak the mag in Kroil and hit it with a copper brush to prevent the rust from progressing any further. The magazines cost more than I paid for the rifle shockingly enough, and I refuse to deal with Triple K after my last episode dealing with their poor reproduction of the Savage 19 NRA magazine..... I don't think I'll get this up and running until this summer but every small step is a victory to me. One way or another I WILL get it up and operational again. It's just too neat and the metal is too nice to let rust away.

Try Ebay, if you haven't already...

https://www.ebay.com/b/Savage-23-In-.../bn_7022423932

Basic Member
    I have the same rifle! Brass is hard to find but ammo is available but $$$. I bought about four boxes of ammo and figured that's enough brass for a lifetime! Forming dies are also $$$ so to save the butt pain I figured it was easier to buy ammo. Unique is what I use to reload this and a lot of the old timers, can't go wrong!!

DroopyBassetts75,
    Can you please point me in the direction of the schematic or directions to take apart the bolt? I also have a 23B and I was getting very light primer strikes so much that I had to pull the bullets from maybe ten rounds even after repeatedly trying to fire the rounds. I cleaned out the firing pin as much as possible without taking it apart then sprayed it down with carburetor cleaner following by a gun oil. I have had no more problems since then but I would like to take it apart and really clean it out.

Congratulations on your find and I hope you enjoy shooting it as much as I do mine. I load a 85g lead bullet over 5.0grains of HS-6 for about 1400fps.

Andrew