Thread: ?? diff. b/t model 10 and 12 ??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

?? diff. b/t model 10 and 12 ??

Hello, I'm hoping to learn what about the rifle determines it to be a 10, or a 12. I also want to know all the differences b/t them. I asked savage, but they didnt sound to sure. One of the times, and one of the more sensible sounding answers i got was, that the bolt was trued to the barrel on the 12's, but not the 10. Then i heard, that don't matter, because the bolt floats in both models.
    I'm not sure, fully understand what that means anyway, so, I'm hoping to start from square 1, w/ you guys, and find out. I'm thinking this is got to be the best place to learn. thanks

Basic Member
    OK, lets simplify it. Savage #19137, is there any current/recent, manufacturing issues/defects, w/ it?
    In other words, any problems, or anything to watch out for if one were to go buy a new one anytime soon?

Basic Member
    Why, thank you, "wbm" for the link. The #3 post in that link, links to quite a long thread.

Basic Member
    I'm figuring on getting this rifle in link. I read another thread here, where someone who has this rifle, and the axis, said they shoot about the same accuracy (which surprised me). Theres quite a diff in price of the two. Any thoughts on that? Also, any known problems in the current production of this rifle in the link? One other question, on my mind, which savage rifle would be the next step up in accuracy than the one in link?
    https://www.savagearms.com/content?p...ummary&s=19137

Basic Member
    I'm finding this amazing. Over 200+ views, and one reply. Thats less than half of 1% of reply.
    If, I didnt know beter, I'd think, this was a message/chat forum for the "blind, deaf, and mute."

Basic Member
    I haven’t responded because I am generally lazy and am not going to lookup the link you referred to multiple times. The Axis rifles will shoot quite well but I prefer the 110 ‘s platform over the Axis. Vendors offer a better selection of upgrades for the 110 and it is what I started out with.

Not sure what to make if your last post but as this forum may cater to the blind, deaf and mute I see little point in posting any further responses to this thread.

I will make it simple. The actions are 100% the same. The changes are barrel diameter / length and stocks. The blind may have a problem with the research, but smartass can read and do there own.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member
    there are 10s and 12s, that share the same barrel dia, stock, barrel length (easy to see). so, are you the blind or smartass?

Basic Member
    The difference is 2.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    I think you might be looking for some feedback from members who have multiple Savages and can help with comparisons based upon personal experience.
    I own multiple model 10s and model 12s.

The 12 LRP in your link to the Savage web-site has a Precision Target Accu-trigger, with the red blade, that can be adjusted to 6 oz. That particular model also has a Precision Target Trigger warning printed on the limited access receiver. Most model 12s and Model 10s have receivers with more open access receivers. My 12 LRP Precision Target Accu-trigger came from the factory set at 10 oz.
    The 12 LRP model has a HS-Precision high comb stock with a detachable Savage magazine. You pay more for the stock and the Precision Target Trigger and the re-enforced receiver. Many model 12s come with laminated stocks.
    The very popular 12 FVs made especially for Cabela's have a regular factory stock with no aluminum backbone and a hidden magazine. I have two of them.
    Most of the model 12s have Varmint/Target Accu-triggers. A few, the more expensive models, have Precision Target Accu-triggers.
    The 26-inch barrel on the 12 LRP is the same as the barrel in the 12 FV that is a bargain rifle with a cheap factory stock and hidden magazine (without expensive bottom metal and detachable magazine). My model 12s, even the two bargain 12 FVs are my most accurate Savages.

My model 10s are law enforcement models. Those manufactured after 2010 have Accu-stocks with a lower bolt release and detachable magazines. My original 10 FP (2008) has a hidden magazine and no bottom metal. All of my model 10s are .308s and have 24-inch barrels.
    My model 10s have varmint/target Accu-triggers than can be adjusted down to 1 lb. 6 oz. Most of mine came from the factory set at 2 lbs plus.
    All their triggers are very comfortable and accurate set at 2 lbs.
    In my experience, the varmint triggers tend to lock up easily if they are set close to 1 lb. 6 oz.

I also have a Model 11 in .22-250, that I bought on a clearance-out sale, came with an Accu-stock and a Varmint/Target Accu-trigger but it has a cheaper plastic magazine with the mag release built into the mag. That is a weak point IMO. I believe the Axis uses the same magazine.

My model 10s shoot very accurately but the model 12s shoot slightly more accurately, but the model 12s are in 6.5mm CM and .223 calibers and the smaller calibers tend to be more accurate ( I believe the lighter recoil has an effect on the long term average accuracy).
    My model 10s in .308 have long term average accuracy of under 4.5 inches with 5 round groups at 100 yards while the Model 12s average the around 3.5 inches for the 6.5mms and just at 0.3 inches for the .223.
    My 12 LRP in 6.5mm CM is very slightly more accurate than my 12 FV (after it was restocked with an Oryx chassis to eliminate some flexing in the factory stock).
    My model 11s long-term 5-round average is just under 4.0 inches.

I believe that the accuracy of the Savage rifles come from their barrels and their actions. The choice of different stocks, triggers, and other options have an impact in giving the shooter the chance to get consistent set up that fits his or her preferences to eliminate 'shooter induced variations'.
    It is possible that a particular shooter can get a low cost Savage rifle to shoot very accuately out of the box, especially if the shooter is not too tall of too short and tends to adapt easily to the rifle's dimensions.
    My bargain 12 FVs were among my most accurate and consistent rifles right out of their boxes.
    Their accuracy improved further when I changed the cheap factroy stocks to Oryx chassis but they were very accurate out of the box.
    My Model 10s were accurate out of the box and have continued to be through over 4,000 rounds through their barrels.
    My 12 LRP was accurate out of the box without any modifications. The 12 LRP's Precision Target Accu-trigger and HS-Precision stock was well worth the extra money IMO.
    The cheap Model 11 package shot accurately out of the box (OK, it came with a scope that I changed to a target scope before I put the first round down range but the rest of the rifle is as it came out of the box.)