Thread: Savage service 7mm-08

Basic Member

Savage service 7mm-08

I sent my new 11xp trophy hunter back to Savage because I couldn't get the rifle to group. Tried three brands of ammo and three different weights though I would consider it two. My question is, has anyone had any recent warranty work done? The rifle has been with them for three weeks now and hasn't been looked at. Is this common? Also, I ask if they would call me with their findings. I was told if it was warranty work no, they would just ship it back to me. I said what about tracking, it requires an adult signature. They put a note in to call me with the tracking number. I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about this. Is all of that common place?
    Last edited by wvmedic; 01-29-2020 at 01:35 PM. Reason: wouldn't allow me to ad image

Basic Member
    I have not dealt with Savage service but the following is what I expect from a mfg warranty service center:

As to the 3 week wait, I would guess that either 1) there are very few people working on warranty issues or 2) they have a ton of warranty work ahead of yours.

And, no I would not expect any communications from them if it is a warranty issue. They will fix it and ship it. If you aren't home when the first delivery attempt is made you will have an opportunity to be present the next day, call and arrange a delivery day or go and pick it up from the local distribution center (or post office).

If they determine there is nothing wrong with it then they will probably just ship it back as well.

If they determine there is something wrong, not covered by the warranty, then I would expect them to call or email and ask you if you want to pay them to fix it or for them to return it as is.

Basic Member
    charlie b, thank you. I've never had to deal with warranty work on any firearm so this is all unfamiliar with me. I would have thought if there was an issue with the rifle they would tell me what was wrong and what was done to correct it. Though as I said this is new to me.

Thank you again for the insight.

Jeff

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by wvmedic View Post
    charlie b, thank you. I've never had to deal with warranty work on any firearm so this is all unfamiliar with me. I would have thought if there was an issue with the rifle they would tell me what was wrong and what was done to correct it. Though as I said this is new to me.

Thank you again for the insight.

Jeff
    Had a similar experience with US Repeating Arms Co (Winchester) about 20yrs ago only I went through a local Winchester authorized repair center. New rifle and spent brass had well defined concentric rings on the shoulder. He sent rifle and spent cases to manufacturer for warranty work. Rifle returned with no paperwork, no indication of what was done and no spent brass to show repair. Don't know if they polished chamber, recut and set barrel back, or replaced the barrel but when fired there were no rings on the brass.

Basic Member
    Thank you PhilC

Basic Member
    Talked to Savage today, was told that they polished the chamber and cleaned the barrel, said the barrel was copper fouled. I don't have a bore scope but I used a bore light and didn't see any copper fouling. The rifle would not group straight out of the box, would the chamber polishing improve the accuracy?

Thanks, Jeff

Short answer: I don't believe just polishing the chamber will improve your accuracy.

I had a similar issue, also with a 7-08, and replied to another post about a month ago, repeated here: I bought a new 110 Storm in 7-08 this past February. After trying dozens of different combinations of bullets, powders, charges, seating depths, and scopes, I could not get groups smaller than 2.5-3" I checked the bore with the help of a local gunsmith and found some strange rifling images. I sent it back to Savage. They sent it back to me with a note saying they "polished the chamber" and the rifle is shooting 3/4" groups. Going back out to the range, I could tell no difference, so I asked Savage what they used to test the rifle. Their answer was Winchester 140 gr Ballistic Silvertips. I bought a box (rather pricey) and they shot a little under an inch. I loaded some Nosler BT's (same bullet, except for the black coating) and they shoot 0.8 to 1.0" I have since tried other bullets and factory loads; the only bullets that shoot well are Nosler BT's in 120 or 140 gr, neither of which would be my first choice for a bullet. I will try some Accubonds as soon as I can find some on sale.

As to the time issue, total time to get it back into my hands was right at one month. I called a couple of times to check, because I needed it back for an upcoming trip. As it got finished up and I was approaching my departure date, a very nice young lady went out of her way to ship it back to me via UPS.

Basic Member
    Thank you papa45, that is what I thought they used, I picked some up today to try. That time frame is about spot on for my rifle as well, they shipped it back to me today.

Thank you, Jeff

Basic Member
    Just wanted to post an update. Got the rifle back and took it to the range today, shooting sub MOA with the Winchester ballistic Silvertips. Still will not shoot Hornady whitetail though. I just hope it likes other Nosler bullets like the partition.

Jeff

Oddly I bought the slow twist 7-08 sporter barrel on this forum and I cleaned it with sweets and Iosso bore paste . The barrel was fouled bad. Loaded up some 129 bullets with a load I used in something else and I shot 5 rounds at 100 yards. The group size was less than 1/2 inch, it looked like a ragged hole. Savage barrels foul easily and when I break one in I shoot one then clean 10 times. Then I shoot 2 and repeat it 10 times. Then after break in I clean the thing spotless. It has worked on quite a few barrels I have owned. True break in on many savages doesn't settle in till you shoot 100-150 rounds cleaning after every 5 or 10 shots. After all of that they shoot outstanding.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member
    Thank you jonbearman, I've got about 90 rounds through it now. I need to clean it after the range yesterday.

Jeff