Thread: Old Savage 99

Old Savage 99

Hello all,

I came across what I thought was a great old Savage model 99 in the 250-3000 caliber. I have done a little research and even called Savage where I was told to write a letter to get information but then was told to pay money to get Information. What I have found out is the 250-3000 caliber was introduced in 1915 and the serial number on my gun is from 1915 per the Internet. I was hoping somebody here had a good reliable database and it could confirm the build year for my rifle. The gun is in pretty fair shape if it's 105 years old and shoots great. I thought I could get it to shoot 100gr Nosler ballistic tip bullets but it hasn't yet. I bought some Speer 87gr bullets and with some CFE223 powder I have a shooter now. I guess I will stick with what this gun was engineered for, the 87gr 3000FPS bullet. I'm actually getting closer 3200FPS but the powders of today have evolved greatly. Anyhow, if anyone has a better idea on aging these old jewels I would love to get confirmation on mine Serial number is 1681xx

Thanks

Basic Member
    If you are using this site, http://www.savage99.com/savage99_dates.htm

it's the one for correct dates.

Yes sir that is where I got the info. I wonder if having the very first year that caliber was produced adds any extra value to the rifle itself? The gun is no safe queen but it's in pretty darn good shape for it's age. Thanks for the reply Big AL1

Basic Member
    That's a great find. I have three 1899 take downs. A .303 from 1914, a .25-35 from 1906, and a .38-55 from 1908. All still great shooters. Still looking for a .250-3000!

I only wish my love affair with these old guns would have started at younger age. I passed up on many old guns because I thought I wanted the newest most popular stuff. I am now slowly selling/trading the modern stuff for the older pieces, I have built a few different rifles along the way also. I fully plan to hunt with this old jewel to keep it active. I have about 10 hunting spots and each one of them have a rifle/caliber associated with them. I carved out 2 spots for this old 250-3000. I would love to find one in the .284Win caliber but I'm thinking that's going to be a tough one to fund without selling multiple toys. Thanks again for your response, happy shooting...

Basic Member
    I'm happy for you. hang on to it and pass it down to one who will take care and appreciate fine old guns.

Basic Member
    I don't think I've ever even seen one in .284, but that would be a find. I built a .284 on a short 98 Mauser small ring action and it's my favorite 7MM. I chambered it with a long throat so I can seat bullets out to 3" OAL.

From what I read they only built them from 64-72 in 284 Winny on the Savage 99 platform so rare indeed. I do not even own a 284 but I'm intrigued with the caliber, especially on a 99 lever action platform. I will just keep an eye out, that's half the fun of being a gun enthusiast.