Thread: Early Model 19

Early Model 19

I was looking at a model 19, S/n 150xx, and have been trying to find some info on it. The gun is about 80% and missing the rear sight. Someone dovetailed what looks to be a simple, perhaps homemade non-adjustable rear sight. The stock is in the short style and appears to be original. It also has the narrow rectangular ejection port. I ran a dummy round through the magazine and it fed OK but I did not fully chamber it as I began to feel some resistance. Extraction was fine. (I didn't realize these are cock on closing, so might have mistaken that for the round d hanging up. That bolt spring is heavy.) I managed to start the round by hand but the extractor looked like it wasn't going to override the rim, much like a 98 Mauser. Should this generation 19 be able to single load? I wouldn't want to be stuck with a fence post should the magazine go south. Since rear sights are scarce and expensive, has anyone tried adapting other receiver sights? Anyway, I'm on the fence with this. I can probably get it for about $150. Just want to be sure I'm not missing something like a bad extractor, etc. Don't really need it and I'm already self-enabling, so nudging me won't be necessary, LOL.

Thanks in advance! Red

You are right about the cock on closing feature - it easily makes you think something is hanging up when chambering a round. You say, however, that extraction was fine so the extractor must have gone over the rim of the shell. Work the bolt with no round present so you can get a feel for the cock on closing action. Then run a brass brush into the chamber to see if there is anything that would block a shell. If a shell now chambers with no additional resistance you are good to go.

Thanks! I used a bore light and did not see any obstruction. Do you know if this vintage is a controlled feed? The extractor looks to be angled in slightly. Why it was up against the rim. Are they supposed to override it? With that cock on closing, I wouldn't want to exert too much pressure and damage it, meaning I'd have to buy it.

Generally, in any brand of .22, the extractor(s) are spring loaded and will override the cartridge rim. Keep in mind that you load most .22 single shots by putting a cartridge in the chamber, or in a trough in front of the chamber, and closing the bolt on it. I am not home so I can't check my Model 19 for sure. You could take the bolt out and fit a .22 case in its spot with the base in the bolt face and the rim under the extractor. Then push the mouth of the case in direction opposite the extractor. If the extractor bends to allow the case rim to come unhooked you should be ok.

Well, it followed me home today. I borrowed a pen from the clerk and nudged the extractor. The spring was fine and the claw looked sharp, so I hand fed a dummy and slowly closed the bolt. It slipped right over the rim. Tested the trigger, extracted and saw two clean hits from the firing pin. The metal is surprisingly better than I thought with little blue loss. Not sure if the stock was bobbed or not. I will have to replace the front and rear sights. Somewhere I have a T/C low profile screw on peep, maybe for a Contender. I might see if that will work. Otherwise, where there's a will, there's a way. I've seen some inventive peep mounts on old muzzle loaders. Worse comes to worse, William's makes a bullseye style rear sight. Anyway, thanks for your guidance. I will post pics when I figure out how to.

Good for you!. Get those sights figured out and I am sure you will enjoy shooting it. Good luck.

Here 'tis:

You can see the homemade rear sight. Front sight is not much better. I may replace it in the meantime with a Marbles bullseye.