Thread: Rear bolt baffle repairs

Rear bolt baffle repairs

Does anyone know how to fix the rear bolt baffles? I have 4 rifles that have lost the springs/detent balls that are a vital part of proper function and aesthetics.

I was able to order a few rear baffles online only to receive them bare without the springs/balls.

I just got off the phone with Savage customer service. I was told that they don't just sell the small parts, and that I would be better off to throw those baffles away and purchase new ones, (the irony of it all, right?).

I probably would have ordered some right then and there, but I don't have serial numbers off the top of my head to give them. So before I do that, does anyone know of a fix?

Thanks,

Basic Member
    Had a few apart. Two .125 balls & a spring. I don't have the spring dimensions (wish I would have measured last time).
    The spring & second ball fit underneath (actually on top) of the detent ball.
    I've seen the balls get dirty/rusty to the point they "stick" either in or out. But never have seen the balls missing. Do you know you happened to lose them in four different baffles? Just curious.

Fwiw; the balls appear to be identical to the std .125 extractor balls. The extractor spring is approx .140 diameter and will not even fit in the baffle holes, so that spring will not work.
    If you find a supplier for the springs & balls, might not hurt to order extra (they like to launch..lol).

Unrelated but it might pay to keep one baffle "stripped". They come in handy when using the "Wheeler" method for finding the lands when there can be no "drag" on the bolt but you still need the PE to here the "click" when the bullet "unsticks" from the lands.

Good luck,
    Randy

Randy,

I'm not sure how we've lost the balls on those baffles honestly. I looked closely on a couple of them and some of the balls were simply not extruding out as the others. Also took a look at the grooves on the bolt bodies themselves to see if I could find answers with them, but nothing really stuck out to me?

You stated you've had some apart? Did you use anything specific with putting yours back together?

Thanks,

Basic Member
    I made a small pusher to squeeze the detent ball in & out with pliers. Simply was a small common nail (4 or 6 penny), shorten to about 1/8" from the head end and filed flat. I then "dimpled" it with a small drill point.
    Then "taped" the head to the inside jaw of a pair of pliers. (Probably is a special tool for this). A simple squeeze of the pliers popped the detent ball outwards.
    Reverse the procedure for installation after dropping the spring and other ball in the "cross drill hole". All while holding the baffle upside down in a vise. Did press down from the top on the detent with a pin punch while squeezing it back in.

If you get the one you have with the stuck ball disassembled and clean up the parts it should be fine.

Good luck,
    Randy