Thread: 110 Tactical 6.5CM problem

Basic Member

110 Tactical 6.5CM problem

Well i thought by now i would have worked out the kinks in my 110T 6.5CM<But I still have a problem chambering a round they get stuck and i have to back out then bolt and then continue pushing the bolt forward in order for them to chamber.Has anyone else run into this issue.The rifle is wonderful except for this issue.

Basic Member
    I've had this happen before. If I understand correctly, the round is going part way in, then the bolt rides over the rear of the cartridge, then you retract the bolt and cycle it again which finishes chambering the round? If so, try opening up the feed lips on the magazine very slightly. Even biasing the rear of the lips slightly more than the front. It will allow the cartridge in the magazine to rise to a slightly higher position and keep the rear end from diving under the bolt as its pushed forward. Good luck!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder9 View Post
    Well i thought by now i would have worked out the kinks in my 110T 6.5CM<But I still have a problem chambering a round they get stuck and i have to back out then bolt and then continue pushing the bolt forward in order for them to chamber.Has anyone else run into this issue.The rifle is wonderful except for this issue.
    I've got this same issue with my 110 Tactical in 308. Love the gun but it's annoying when this happens.

David

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

How fast are you cycling?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    How fast are you cycling?
    I'm cycling it fairly slow. Should it matter? And what speed should I do it?

David

It should not matter. However, it may. Try a little quicker.

That has a polymer mag correct?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    It should not matter. However, it may. Try a little quicker.

That has a polymer mag correct?
    Yes.

David

Basic Member
    Ok we will try opening the magazine. Thank you

Basic Member

New magazine

Ok we will try opening the magazine. Thank you
    I called Savage explains the issue they sent me a new magazine to see if that solves the problem.

Basic Member
    I called Savage explains the issue they sent me a new magazine to see if that solves the problem.
    I'd appreciate it if you could let me know if it solves the issue. Thanks!

David

Basic Member
    Yes, please follow up with a function report. I didn't realize you had a poly magazine. The rifle I had trouble with had a metal mag, so it was easy to tweak the feed lips.

Basic Member

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by yoda4x4 View Post
    I'd appreciate it if you could let me know if it solves the issue. Thanks!

David

Sure thing Dave I will let you know the outcome.
    Had the same issue with my Ruger 6.5 American in a Magpul hunter stock ended up getting a refund after Ruger replaced rifle twice they couldn’t figure it out but the same magazines would work fine in my Axis 6.5. We will see on this one

Basic Member
    Sure thing Dave I will let you know the outcome.
    Had the same issue with my Ruger 6.5 American in a Magpul hunter stock ended up getting a refund after Ruger replaced rifle twice they couldn’t figure it out but the same magazines would work fine in my Axis 6.5. We will see on this one
    Oh man... I certainly wouldn't want to have mine replaced as it's shooting sub-MOA with 180gr Federal Power-Shok which I consider to be budget ammo. I'd like to believe that match ammo should shoot better. Thanks for letting me know when you find out.

David

Basic Member
    Well today I tried a few magazines and that’s the issue not all magazines are created equal some feed with no issue some feed with issues.I noticed some magazines are a little sloppy in the mag well and some are tight it seems that is the issue play in the magazine causing the bullet to not leave the magazine in a correct angle.

Both my rifles chambered for AI cartridges have a similar issue, and it's a very common problem for any cartridge that has minimal body taper. This is the main reason why I won't build a repeating rifle for one of these cartridges that isn't controlled round feed anymore.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Both my rifles chambered for AI cartridges have a similar issue, and it's a very common problem for any cartridge that has minimal body taper. This is the main reason why I won't build a repeating rifle for one of these cartridges that isn't controlled round feed anymore.

Mr Baker, which two AIs do you have? Do all your AI cartidges dive under the bolt or just the last one? In my rifle it was always only the last cartridge that I had trouble with until I adjusted the feed lips. I am planning a 223 AI build on a Savage action using factory Savage DBM with Savage 223Rem factory magazine. I want it to shoot 75gr ELD-Ms so I may be throating it for longer than normal OAL as I'd like to keep the aft bearing surface above the neck/shoulder junction with bullet seated. How long can/will feed from the stock Savage 223 magazine? Will the 223 AI feed reliably from a Savage magazine? If the Savage mag is going to limit the OAL too much I may just run it in a chassis with AICS mags. This info may be pertinent to this thread but please PM if needed to avoid thread hijack.

Just checked mine {6 CM}, basically the same problem, the bolt will get a round about 80% chambered from a Mag. loaded with 6 rounds, then I have to back the bolt out about half way then I can move the bolt forward and get the round chambered. I gave the same problem until the last round, that one gives me no problems.
    Savage C/S and I have a plan. first try a new Mag, and if that doesn't work, they get the weapon back, plus by that tome I will be able to test the barrel again.

_.

Basic Member
    It's because of these issues why I have started swapping to CRF receivers. I have two MausingField rifles and don't see this problem anymore. Besides ARC, you have Defiance, and BigHorn making receivers.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    Ok I received the new magazine from Savage mind you this is a 10 round magazine not the 5 round Magpul I have been using.As I thought the new 10 round magazine works flawlessly it seems to be the 5 round Magpul magazines that give me an issue in my 110 tactical 6.5 creedmoor in my Axis 6.5 creedmoor they work just fine no issues so I’m thinking its the seating in the actions that is the issue.The magazines fit very sloppy in the 110T but in the Axis they fit tight.I think the problem lies in the one size fits many with the magazines.

My main problem has always been with the bolt jamming up about 1/2" before the bolt is all the way forward, requiring me to pull it back just slightly to allow the cartridge to shift a bit to allow the bolt to go fully forward. This is due to the angle of the case at that point causing the steeper shoulder to bind up on the mouth of the chamber and/or the case head to not be inline with the bolt face. It's not as prevalent of an issue on my 22-250AI (staggered feed mag), but every now and then one will hang up on me. My .250AI (centerfeed) using a standard Savage 4-rd .308 mag is a little more problematic, but livable.

My 6x47 Lapua built on an ARC Nucleus action uses AI mags and I run the 5rd Magpul's, and that's the one I had the most problems with initially. With the as-delivered feed lips the mag would hold rear of the case too long preventing it from sliding up into the CRF bolt face. By the time the case head cleared the lips the cartridge was at such an angle that it wouldn't slide up into the bolt face and would result in a jam. My solution was to trim the feed lips back with a Dremel and a small course file to allow the case head to come free sooner. Feeds fine after the mod, and I know a lot of 6.5 CM guys running the Magpul mags with a CRF action do this mod as well as that's where I got the tip from.

No clue if this mod would help on a push feed action or not.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02481.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	6885
    My modified 5rd Magpul mags for CRF action

The biggest issue in my opinion is that we're using magazines for cartridges they weren't specifically designed for. These different cartridges generally feed pretty well from these mag's, but not flawlessly because of the slight variations in case dimensions (shoulder angle, body taper, body length, etc). The reason for this is because it saves Savage and all the other gun makers a ton of money on R&D for developing a cartridge specific magazine. Magazines are the hardest, most costly and most time consuming part of a firearm to design and get right, so if there's an existing design that works 95% of the time they're going to go that route rather than spend the time/money to develop something new that may or may not work any better.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain