Thread: Savage LRH

Savage LRH

Just ordered a Long Range Hunter in 280AI. What’s everyones thoughts on the LRH

Don't have one but i think if I were to buy a hunting rifle, that would be it
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I have the older LRH in 300 Win Mag. I like it alot. Very accurate, heavy but not so heavy you can't hunt with it. The previous owner of my rifle had the factory muzzlebrake removed and put a bigger 3 slot muzzlebrake on there and it works really well at reducing recoil and taming the 300. My rifle really likes 200 grain ELD-X bullets and regularly shoots 5 shot groups from 1/2"-3/4".

Basic Member
    I would take a hard look at the Savage 110 Ultralite if it's in your budget. Similar to the LRH, but about two pounds lighter. I'll always take a lighter hunting rifle given the option.

Basic Member
    I got an older 7mm RM Long Range Hunter and turned it into a 7mm Mauser. I love the feel, the cheek riser is nice, the accustock is nice and the weight makes it have very small amount of recoil.
    It is a little heavy ish, desirable for a magnum or a stand rifle, but not sure you will need it with a 280ai, but the weight does make it more stable and thus better for a long range hunter.
    If that is what you are looking for, you should love it!

Took mine (.300 Win) to the range yesterday and it shot this group at 100 yards. To say I am pleased is an understatement.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geesal View Post
    Just ordered a Long Range Hunter in 280AI. What’s everyones thoughts on the LRH
    I have one in 260 Rem. I like the rifle but, I had problems loading the center feed magazine when I had a low mounted scope. I changed it to a detachable magazine using Savage parts and that fixed the problem for me. It is an accurate rifle. I use it hunting from a stand.