Thread: Well.. my .223 Axis is headed to a Savage gunsmith...

Basic Member

Well.. my .223 Axis is headed to a Savage gunsmith...

Damn thing won't fire 20% (at least) of the bullets I put in it...

Federal -- nope
    American -- nope
    Hornady -- nope

All brass, all varying "grades" from fancy hunting to target. Shoots some likeable groups at 100 yards, though... so that's nice.

All the same. Light primer strikes. Every one of the cartridges fires fine from my AR and the AR puts a bigger dent in the primers.

Called Savage... they said they can "send me the parts" but it has to go to an FFL. WTF for? If it goes to an FFL, then I have to pay an FFL fee and pay their gunsmith to fix the bolt. Ridiculous. What kind of warranty forces me to pay local labor for their defect? Told them I'm taking it back to Academy and they'll send the rifle to you and it won't cost me anything. 0 for 2 on guns acquired at Academy, BTW. It's like they're getting B-stock or something. My Beretta pistol wasn't with me but 2 days before it had to go to Beretta and it's been in Academy/Beretta's hands for over a month now.

This is what the spring in my bolt looks like... don't know if that's normal.

Basic Member
    I do not know where you live, or laws. In my state, Arizona, I can send it and recieve it from a from a gunsmith, but the shipping is around $85. If I use a FFL he charges me $15 and he can ship for much much less.

I had the same light primer strike problem and Savage wouldn't sell me the springs either. Had my LGS order the springs and had them in a week. Cost was something like $14.00 with shipping. Tried the rifle out yesterday and so far, all rounds fired. It remains to be seen if these springs will take a set and start the damned problem all over again. I have refrained from storing my Axis with the bolt open in the safe so maybe they'll last longer. I sure wish Wolff would make springs for the Axis.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azguy View Post
    I do not know where you live, or laws. In my state, Arizona, I can send it and recieve it from a from a gunsmith, but the shipping is around $85. If I use a FFL he charges me $15 and he can ship for much much less.
    I sent one directly to Savage two years ago for repairs using UPS. They sent it back to me direct and I had to sign for it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    I had the same light primer strike problem and Savage wouldn't sell me the springs either. Had my LGS order the springs and had them in a week. Cost was something like $14.00 with shipping. Tried the rifle out yesterday and so far, all rounds fired. It remains to be seen if these springs will take a set and start the damned problem all over again. I have refrained from storing my Axis with the bolt open in the safe so maybe they'll last longer. I sure wish Wolff would make springs for the Axis.
    Storing your rifle with the bolt open keeps the spring compressed as all Savages (and Rems cock on open).
    This is not supposed to be a problem with modern spring steels. However, I am old school and relax all firing pin springs during their stay in the safe! Safe off...hold the trigger as you close the bolt slowly...done...
    Imho

Do some searches on hear for FTF and you will find that this is a common problem and see some suggested fixes other than just replacing with factory parts.

Good luck,
    Randy

Sorry GaCop, I re'read what you wrote and realized that you have been storing closed.

Basic Member
    The gun is <30 days in my possession. I'm sure it was on the shelf there for a while, but it shouldn't matter. I have numerous bolt actions in my family that are decades old and they're all stored in various ways and don't have light primer issues. Savage defect and poor design - simple as that. Hate to say...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatgoal View Post
    The gun is <30 days in my possession. I'm sure it was on the shelf there for a while, but it shouldn't matter. I have numerous bolt actions in my family that are decades old and they're all stored in various ways and don't have light primer issues. Savage defect and poor design - simple as that. Hate to say...
    Definitely agree, the design is flawed but the Savage fix doesn't change anything. There are posts on here and different forums where a "new" spacer washer is fabricated to go between the springs. Seemed to solve their problems.

Basic Member
    Unless someone sells said fabricated washer I won't be able to fix this myself.

Quote Originally Posted by mnbogboy2 View Post
    Definitely agree, the design is flawed but the Savage fix doesn't change anything. There are posts on here and different forums where a "new" spacer washer is fabricated to go between the springs. Seemed to solve their problems.
    Having received a complete set of springs and washer, I was wondering, push come to shove, if the old spacer could be used in the BAS to make FP strikes heavier?
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

sounds like a firing pin adjustment is what you need to do -1st measure firing pin protrusion should be .035-.055 if it isn't at least .040 id chuck the firing pin in a drill press or even a hand drill and take a lil off the round STOP part of pin - go slow measure it again -repeat if necessary till you reach .045- I doubt the spring being to weak is the cause but there no way to know for sure until you disassemble bolt &
    measure firing pin protrusion -I have 4 axis and 7 savages LOVE EM ! ymmv make that 8 Savage , (one was hiding in a corner)
    If your lucky enough to live in the BIG woods your lucky enough