Thread: Savage model 10 accutrigger/safety issues

Basic Member

Exclamation Savage model 10 accutrigger/safety issues

Hello all. I have a model 10 predator i bought second hand a year or so ago and have been shooting it more lately. I have noticed if it is on 1/2 Saftey and you pull the trigger it binds up the safety and when you push it forward to turn safety off the firing pin falls. On full safety this does not happen. At the half safety mark it happens every time. I am wondering if someone polished the trigger and sear causing this issue. Any advice?

Basic Member
    Try adjusting the trigger pull weight a little.
    It might be set a little low on the trigger pull

What does the screw behind the Accu-release blade spring do?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JW View Post
    Try adjusting the trigger pull weight a little.
    It might be set a little low on the trigger pull
    I have tried it from 3lbs up to almost 4 lbs inside the stock and out.

Banned
    You mean the sear is dropping right? But it should be resting on the safety blade? Is it? If so, the firing pin is NOT protruding.

What it sounds like is the by pulling the trigger on “half” safe the sear is able to start moving off the trigger shelf(creep), just to the point of tripping. And then by moving the safety to off, it’s tripping the sear the last bit.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    You mean the sear is dropping right? But it should be resting on the safety blade? Is it? If so, the firing pin is NOT protruding.

What it sounds like is the by pulling the trigger on “half” safe the sear is able to start moving off the trigger shelf(creep), just to the point of tripping. And then by moving the safety to off, it’s tripping the sear the last bit.
    correct, so after a trigger pull on half safety when you go to turn safety off it let’s sear finish tripping

Banned
    I’ve seen this on other firearms....1911s off hand. If the safety isn’t fully “On”, and you pull the trigger, the sear, trigger & safety all kinda jam each other. It’s more pronounced with factory triggers having unacceptable Creep. Luckily, as I said..the sear is being caught by the safety blade of the Accutrigger.

Let me ask this..you said you received it used. When looking at the trigger, is only ONE adjustment shown? The Accutriggers have the safety stop screw FILLED with plastic. Is that hole still filled?

The circled place in the picture.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    I’ve seen this on other firearms....1911s off hand. If the safety isn’t fully “On”, and you pull the trigger, the sear, trigger & safety all kinda jam each other. It’s more pronounced with factory triggers having unacceptable Creep. Luckily, as I said..the sear is being caught by the safety blade of the Accutrigger.

Let me ask this..you said you received it used. When looking at the trigger, is only ONE adjustment shown? The Accutriggers have the safety stop screw FILLED with plastic. Is that hole still filled?

The circled place in the picture.
    yes Dave, it is still filled with the plastic. I have 6 other savages and all but one have accutriggers. I have also spent a lot of time disassembling, bedding, ceremony if my other ones and have disassembled and reassembled the trigger groups many times and I just can’t figure out what is going on with this one. I even do trigger work on my other brands as needed. I am really wondering if they polished and changed the angle on the trigger and sear engagement area prior to me owning as it has some angle/bevel to it. I am going to take one of my other guns apart tonight so I can compare

Banned
    Well a “good ol’ boy” Dremel trigger job can certainly produce some unwanted side effects. Easy to check the trigger/sear surface condition & angles to verify.

Unfortunately the only recourse is to properly prepare them, or replace parts.

IICR, adjust the screw i mentioned earlier. The same one that Dave circled. Tighten it an 1/8th turn. Continue process until the safety will not move to and fro, back off until it moves and the trigger does not trip.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    IICR, adjust the screw i mentioned earlier. The same one that Dave circled. Tighten it an 1/8th turn. Continue process until the safety will not move to and fro, back off until it moves and the trigger does not trip.
    This worked perfectly! Thank you Robinhood and others!

Dab some of your brides fingernail polish on the screw and the internal threads to keep it in tune.

Basic Member
    Dab some of your brides fingernail polish on the screw and the internal threads to keep it in tune.
    I heated it up to get the plastic out. Looked like it also had red loctite on it. I will throw some nail polish on it to be safe.

Is there anything dumber on a forum than having to "spread around" reputation? Great information Robinhood!

Im not sure what that means Orezona. Thanks....maybe?

Im not sure what that means Orezona. Thanks....maybe?
    I was trying to add to your reputation and I can't until I spread it around.

Basic Member
    So I just picked up a brand new savage high country in 300 wsm and trigger is doing exact same thing!!! At least I know how to fix this one!!