Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage 112 Series J

Basic Member

Savage 112 Series J

I have a Savage 112, Series J in 220 Swift, all factory original. The rifle is a true single shot, there is no slot cut out of the action for a magazine. I guess this would be called a blind action?

I finally found a company that can make a stock for my rifle, Sharpshooter Supply. They ask if the rifle is center or stagger feed. How do I answder their question since my rifle is magazine free?

Thank you for the help.

.................................................. .........................

Team Savage
    I won't touch this one with a 10 foot pole!!
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
    I won't touch this one with a 10 foot pole!!
    I will, we all experience senior moments, just some of us more often than others.
    like for example deciding when it’s best to send Emails.

Basic Member
    Three replies and not one shred of information. Possibly a new record.

I hear ya!

Just tell them it is a single shot action.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    I hear ya!

Just tell them it is a single shot action.
    Thank you very much for your rapid answer, wbm. I tried to tell the girl this 2 or 3 times by email and she insisted that the rifle had to be classified as center or stagger feed. Single shot made sense to me, but since this is the first time I've encountered a rifle like this, I thought that perhaps I was overlooking something. It turns out that I wasn't.

As soon as Orezona, Nor Cal Mikie and youbuck have their morning bottle, wake from their morning nap and have their diaper changed, I'll thank them.

Again, thank you. Very friendly place here. Yes, I'm being sarcastic.

Basic Member
    ��got to see where this one goes��

Basic Member
    In fairness to the OP, I don't think the "blame" for the question lies entirely with him.

Fluted,

Obviously, there was some miscommunication with Fred on this- or he wouldn't have asked you the question.

Center vs Staggered feed (FEED is the operative word here) relates to the type of magazine.

No magazine in a single feed (Duh), which is the source of the incredulity above.

Basic Member
    Maybe they don’t have a stock without a mag well, so they want you to pick one way or the other. Even though it’s useless for you.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tobnpr View Post
    In fairness to the OP, I don't think the "blame" for the question lies entirely with him.

Fluted,

Obviously, there was some miscommunication with Fred on this- or he wouldn't have asked you the question.

Center vs Staggered feed (FEED is the operative word here) relates to the type of magazine.

No magazine in a single feed (Duh), which is the source of the incredulity above.
    I understand what you are saying. As stated in my reply to wbm, I told the girl thru email 2 or 3 times that it was a single shot 112, Series J. She insisted it had to be either center or staggered feed. That is why I asked the question here. I honestly thought that I was missing something because I couldn't understand why a single shot rifle didn't suffice. Perhaps the girl was confused? I assumed (incorrectly it seems) that since she was assigned to answer technical questions on the stock that they sell, she would know what she was talking about.

What you wrote would have easily sufficed as an understandable answer, "no magazine is a single feed". This would have verified what I believed to be true. Instead I get a runaround. I had checked all the FAQ for an answer and finding none, made a post.

"entirely"?!...why should there any "blame" at all. The man simply asked a question.

Instead I get a runaround.
    Yep you did.

https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...Action-Lengths

Sent you a PM.
    Last edited by wbm; 01-20-2020 at 03:33 PM. Reason: S

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    "entirely"?!...why should there any "blame" at all. The man simply asked a question.

Yep you did.

https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...Action-Lengths

Sent you a PM.
    wbm,

Thank you for the PM. I did see that a day or two ago when I was researching FAQ's concerning my question. I have the odd duck it seems, the first generation short action screw spacing.

Thank you again. You have been most helpful. Not at all out of character for a Marine. Thank you for your service.

You bet. Glad I could help.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by granite1 View Post
    Maybe they don’t have a stock without a mag well, so they want you to pick one way or the other. Even though it’s useless for you.
    I just spoke to the company. They don't know why the girl mentioned staggered or center feed once she read that my rifle was single shot with no magazine. They do manufacture stocks for single shot rifles of any screw spacing.

So it turned out to be bad information from their end. At least I now have a stock source.

Quote Originally Posted by flutedchamber View Post

As soon as Orezona, Nor Cal Mikie and youbuck have their morning bottle, wake from their morning nap and have their diaper changed, I'll thank them.
    Not that it matters but, I don't deserve your attack. This forum doesn't allow me (or I haven't figured it out) to delete my post. I had to replace my original post with the "........................" to meet the characters rule. No "thank you" needed. Your question confused me so I realized I didn't have a good answer. And yes, I did have a morning nap. I may also take one this evening after hanging a bathroom door and doing some trim.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orezona View Post
    Not that it matters but, I don't deserve your attack. This forum doesn't allow me (or I haven't figured it out) to delete my post. I had to replace my original post with the "........................" to meet the characters rule. No "thank you" needed. Your question confused me so I realized I didn't have a good answer. And yes, I did have a morning nap. I may also take one this evening after hanging a bathroom door and doing some trim.
    "I posted here by mistake" or "I don't understand what you are asking" works for me. A post of ............................................ ................. How would you take that?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orezona View Post
    Since I have offended you in public, I will apologize in public. Please accept my heartfelt apology for not recognizing a line of dots for you satisfying the forums requirement for a certain number of characters needed to qualify as a post. I take an afternoon nap, as I am up most of the night with my back. Enjoy your trim work.

Team Savage
    "Three replies and not one shred of information. Possibly a new record"???
    First off, you havn't been around that much so you'll learn in time. You got jerked around by someone that didn't know enough to help you out.
    A "single shot" is a single shot, period!! That should have been enough to get you what you needed. But, it wasn't.
    I'll leave it at that. PM headed your way, Mike.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member
    Glad to see that this thread worked itself out. Kind of figured it would. I almost could see a little humor coming out of it, and never did see anything that was intentionally meant to be derogatory.
    This brotherhood of barrel-nuts sometimes disagree and jab at each other, but we almost always can work up a common solution to our problems & questions.
    All's well that ends well.
    Randy

Basic Member
    Just one PM, informing me of the company that everyone knew that I was talking about would have sufficed. I appreciate all of the forewarning that I received thru PM. Does anyone know who makes a wood or laminated wood stock for the early short action screw spacing (4.522) for my 112, series J?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flutedchamber View Post
    Just one PM, informing me of the company that everyone knew that I was talking about would have sufficed. I appreciate all of the forewarning that I received thru PM. Does anyone know who makes a wood or laminated wood stock for the early short action screw spacing (4.522) for my 112, series J?
    If you haven't tried Richard's Microfit Inc., that may be one place to inquire. They do custom inletting and may already have a cnc program for your action. They mention wait time (8 wks) and a small extra charge. Worth a try.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mnbogboy2 View Post
    If you haven't tried Richard's Microfit Inc., that may be one place to inquire. They do custom inletting and may already have a cnc program for your action. They mention wait time (8 wks) and a small extra charge. Worth a try.
    Thank you. The wait time is OK, I don't mind waiting for a quality product. I got a bad feeling about SSS when I had to email them my phone number and wait for them to call me back. I'll do a BBB search on SSS for giggles.

Thank you again.

PS I took a peek and their stocks are very nice. 99% inlet and in need of finishing is fine with me. They have a CNC program for my action.
    Last edited by flutedchamber; 01-20-2020 at 08:15 PM. Reason: added a PS

Basic Member

Sharp Shooter Supply

Surprise, SSS gets an F from the BBB.

"This company has a pattern of unanswered and serious complaints concerning problems with the products or services as well as delivery issues. Specifically, consumers allege the company does not ship the merchandise which has been ordered and paid for. Consumers also report difficulty reaching the company, as they fail to return phone calls and/or emails.

Additionally, the company has failed to respond to BBB attempts to help resolve the matters."

Basic Member
    SSS does some of the best quality work as anywhere. Personally I've had perfect luck doing business with them. I believe the reputation and demand for the excellant quality of their service often puts people on extended wait times. Impatience of the customer may often lead to complaints.
    The most accurate barrel I ever had was a Douglas 25-06 chambered by SSS. It would shoot 1-1/2 groups at 300 yards.
    This is my opinion; the old saying, "Don't bite the hand that feeds you!", goes both ways with the deals in a specialized trade.
    Randy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast